cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the TT too light?

thecasketlady
Explorer
Explorer
We recently bought a 2013 Ford F150 with a 302 5.0 STX with a towing package. Our camper is a 2012 Wildwood 26 ft TT. The GVWR on the camper is 7,805 LB. We are also using a Equalizer weight distribution hitch. The problem we are having is the tail is wagging the dog. Or the truck is all over the road with just a slight wind or semi truck going by. Is this too much trailer for this truck? Is the TT too light? HELP...white knuckle driving!!
21 REPLIES 21

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The Equal-i-zer 4-pt WDH has integrated sway control. It is a great WDH with many satisfied owners.

Your truck should tow that TT pretty well at or slightly over any of its ratings. I recommend not relying on the RV dealer to properly adjust the WDH. Some are good, many are bad. Start reading here. Learn how to adjust your own hitch as some changes to the truck will require adjustment anyway. A CAT scale will help, but I have been satisfied with the fender height measurement using 2 tow vehicles with the same trailer.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Check your whole setup again.
Trailer when hooked up level or very slightly nose down. Adjust as necessary by raising or lowering hitch ball.
Equalizer bars parallel to trailer tongue - adjust L brackets if necessary.
Measure front fender height with no trail and with trailer on but no WD hooked up. Then measure with WD hooked up. Fender height should be back to requirement from truck manufacturer - for Fords it should be 1/2 the difference of the first 2 measurements. If it is not adjust using the washers. Ensure all fittings are tightened to torque specs from Equalizer.
I run tires - trailer 50 PSI truck 44 PSI.

After getting this all set unit should tow fine. Mine is similar weight with 1/2 ton truck and 1200 lb bars.

For piece of mind and confirmation weigh at a CAT scale as outlined in other posts here.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bldrbuck wrote:
You need to add a anti-sway setup to your hitch. Any good trailer supply can help you.

NO!. You need to fix, and STOP the sway FIRST. Then, after there is no more sway, and only then. Add sway control. NEVER use sway control to correct a sway problem. That is not what it is designed to do.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
From the original post, is the trailer causing sway just when there is a significant cross wind or semi going past, or is it doing this all the time?

I agree with some of the above posts, it is probably an issue with not enough tongue weight. A trailer that tows bad will still try to sway a heavier truck, it just isn't as noticable. Either way, it needs to be improved. Let us know what it does after you increase the tongue weight.
Having a sway control setup mask a serious problem is not a good idea. You want that trailer to tow well and the WDH and sway control to make it even better.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

S_more_campers
Explorer
Explorer
If you think it's tough with a full size Ford truck you should try it in a Jeep Liberty with a 3800LB TT! As mentioned above by DesertHawk

All stowed weight in trailer is kept forward of the trailer's axles (we've even removed the bicycle rack from the rear bumper), reduced travel speed (no more than 90 Kph / 55 Mph) we have 1 anti sway (friction type)and I have tried the hitch in every reasonable position (yes, we have plans to replace our Liberty with a more reasonably sized tow rig).

What also made a significant improvement was replacing the tires on our Jeep. We recently replaced the worn OEM Goodyear tires with a c rated BF Goodrich AT - they hold the road much better and so far exhibit a strong reduction in sway.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of any handling problems caused by trailer weight (light or heavy). Most likely cause of your problems is the adjustment or the strength of your hitch. Both elements must be correct for good results.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your electronic sway control is turned on through your steering wheel DIC. Not a replacement for sway control but will help in extreme conditions. I never ever turn mine off.

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck might be on the verge of it'd gvwr rating with a 7800 pound trailer. It depends upon loading in the truck and trailer. However, it will not show in the systems you described. The symptoms you are describing are typical of weight balance in the trailer. Someone more wise may comment if a trailer tracking problem may show some of these symptoms.

It doesn't matter how light (or heavy) the trailer is if it is balanced. A utility trailer, loaded with boards hanging over the rear too far taught me my lesson. Until then I would never have believed how a vehicle can be thrown around. Redistributed the load, bought new shorts, and I was good to go.

Too little tongue weight is frightening. The swinging trailer could throw you off the road. You should have about 12 % of the trailers weight on the hitch. Protect yourself and measure. Don't use a friction sway bar to try to mask this symptom.

Carrying water in the trailer, or not, is usually not a issue. In many cases the fresh a d grey water tanks are over the trailer axle, and don't impact the balance a lot. 30 gallons of water is about 300 pounds. This 'could' require you to change tongue by about 30 pounds. It just isn't that critical. The only time I would worry about carrying or not carrying water, is if I am loading the trailer to maximum. 300 pounds more in the trailer, when I'm already pulling a big wind break isn't going to affect my gas mileage enough to worry a out.

Did you have full propane tanks, and a battery on the tongue? Do you have anything hanging on the back of bumper?

Why don't you load more weight into the front of the trailer and give it try
Borrow some five gallon water jugs (or someone's set of free weights) and load them into the front and see if it makes a difference.

Solve the loading problem and then worry about sway control

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
What tires do you have on the truck ? They may be too lite for the weight .

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You need more tongue weight. You need to get your hitch adjusted correctly.

If you are using an Equal-i-zer brand hitch they have integral sway control, nothing else is needed.

Read this;
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14265335.cfm

and then this;
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17730894.cfm

and then adjust your hitch using the instructions that came with it.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inflate your trucks tires to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewalls and see what happens on your way to the scales.

wski
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to consider a Hensley hitch. I have heard great things about them.

thecasketlady
Explorer
Explorer
Today we took the camper and truck to our local RV center and they adjusted everything and it was better, but still kinda scary Our weight distribution hitch does have a 4 point sway control. I have been driving a large commercial vehicle for 10 years and never had this problem. Frustrating....when driving takes the fun out of camping!!

LukeS
Explorer
Explorer
You need to start at the basics how did it tow when you bought it. The main culprit is loading trailer wrong to much tail weight will cause sway. Drain all tanks try not to carry unnecessary stuff etc. When you see Tractor Trailer double or triples or vans heavy front light rear. Plus these rigs brake rear to front and have sliders. Speed is a killer these trailers do not have 22 ply tires and not made to run at high speeds. If my trailers were hooked wrong by someone else and were swaying, just had to take the time to stop and switch safety first. WD bars and sway control are extra measures of safety. Equipment still has to be setup correctly to avoid an accident or worse.

I can tell a hundred examples of pros and cons but it first starts with safety, check tires, hook ups and whatever else do a pretrip and double check when stopped before taking off.