cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
We sold the class A and are now looking to downsize to a small light weight travel trailer. Because of length limitations of my garage and not wanting to keep a vehicle outside, our towing vehicle choices are limited. Pickup's are out.

Wanting a diesel I'm looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 V6 diesel, or a VW Touareg 3.0 V6 diesel.
I have driven the JGC and am impressed with the torque and power. The VW issues in the news has my concerns even though the 3.0 is not affected by the recall.

I plan on keeping the trailer weight at #5500 max. even though the towing capacity of the JGC is rated at #7200. #7600 on the VW.

Anyone out there towing with either of these SUV's? Will be towing out west, lots of hills & mountains. Wireman
12 REPLIES 12

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The Jeep and the Tuareg are not your only choices here. I'm towing with a BMW X5 diesel, and it works great. The tow capacity isn't quite as high, at 6,000/600, but it has all the pull you need for those loads. I just got done dragging out 5,000 lb, 21 foot travel trailer from Virginia to Rocky Mountain NP and back, and it towed that trailer up I-70 and over the mountains west of Denver like it wasn't even there. There's also a very capable Mercedes SUV in diesel.

All of these are 3 liter, 6 cylinder engines of European design, and all put out about the same power. You would do well to consider them all. The Jeep is probably the least expensive of the lot, but not necessarily the best choice. The Jeep engine is an Italian aluminum head, iron block engine from VM Motori.

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
I own a JGC and a Jeep Cherokee and have towed a 6x12 cargo trailer. 16 ft Lund boat and a 13ft Scotty trailer with them. A JGC with the right power option (V-8 or diesel) power will not be a problem. The short wheelbase to me has been the problem. Going into a tighter turn like a traffic circle or sharp curve I feel like the trailer is trying to push the rear end sideways. I also have a 2001 Suburban and don't get that feeling with it. Could be the difference in vehicle weight but the pushing feeling is there with the Jeeps.

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
When I say #5500 max I mean total weight with the trailer loaded. I fully understand the length limitations. I definitely don't want the tail wagging the dog. I want to keep total length with the tongue at 25 foot max.

The trailers are out there, just have find a lite weight unit that meet the wife's criteria for floor plans. Plan on going to the Pomona RV show to do some research.

Were in no big hurry and can wait till next spring if needed. My main reason for the post was getting input on the JGC. Looking for more replies. Thanks

Wireman

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
IMO, it is silly to say the limit of a Grand Cherokees towing abilities is 2500 pounds. For many years I towed a 5500 pound boat and it did great. I do understand the difference between towing a TT vs a boat, but I also know that it is a capable tow vehicle.

My SIL has a ecodiesel grand Cherokee and she loves it. Says it is the best vehicle she has ever had.

O boy now we're bringing our SIL into the picture! A bit hypocritical if you ask me. :R
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The 2015 JGC is a very capable tow vehicle. 7200 pound capacity with a 55 sq-foot frontal area limitation, and a 720 lb max tongue load. Because of the relatively short wheelbase I always recommend a true sway control hitch like the Hensley.

FCA Jeep Engineer...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Touareg. It was one of the most comfortable vehicles but not reliable. Shop time was lengthy when it went down. Currently have a GC and it has been much more reliable. It's been in the shop once in 50,000 miles for a sensor related to the keyless start. It's also very comfortable. No towing experience to share. Good luck with your decision.

4LowNGo
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 14 hemi Durango (on same platform as the grand cherokee) that we towed our 15 passport bullet 2300bh. It weighs in under 5,000lbs and although the Durango had the power I just didn't feel the most comfortable towing a 27' (hitch to bumper) trailer with the short wheel base with the family. Now we have a 13 crew cab Silverado. That's just my experience.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I have the new EcoD in the Ram. So far, love it. Highly recommended the GDE tune. I towed around 3500 mokes this summer with a Liberty Diesel. Decided it was too tight for the 4 of us and the pup. Probably would not have gotten the Ram if I was travelling less than 4 hours.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 diesel GC, and love 95% of it.

I tow a ~3600 lb TrailManor, which is an expandable, so it tows like a popup. My only trips towing the TM have all been round-trips from Denver into the mountains - Telluride, Grand Junction, Fairplay. My round-trip fuel economy while towing is 21.5 mpg on every one of those trips. Without the TM, same trips are about 29 mpg.

Goes great on the flats and uphill. Not lacking for power (again, I am not towing a barn, though). I have gone off-road with it, and it does great in low-range, crawling up or down the hills, yes, while towing my TM.

My only dislike is towing downhill. Diesels, by their nature, are poor at engine-braking. So, I have to tap the brakes regularly going downhill. Pickups can get exhaust brakes, and they don't have to use the brake pedal on downhills. Just be aware that the diesel won't hold you back on downgrades.

Trailer Life had a great article using the diesel GC to tow a full-height ultralite. They got 12.4 mpg towing the barn. They were impressed with the GC. It is a good read.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, it is silly to say the limit of a Grand Cherokees towing abilities is 2500 pounds. For many years I towed a 5500 pound boat and it did great. I do understand the difference between towing a TT vs a boat, but I also know that it is a capable tow vehicle.

My SIL has a ecodiesel grand Cherokee and she loves it. Says it is the best vehicle she has ever had.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Had an older JGC that had it's quirks but was a great vehicle.

" I tow loaded snowmobile trailer at around 2400" <<<< did precisely that too and I would not have wanted to tow much more weight or length with the JGC...just a mismatch that doesn't work.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

109rfan
Explorer
Explorer
i have a v6 jgc and to be honest I would stay under 3500. I tow loaded snowmobile trailer at around 2400 and I wouldn't tow much more. 5k is half ton truck territory