cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't the MFG's weigh them?

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought that the manufactures did not weigh all the campers because of the cost of having a scale big enough to do it. After seeing how cheep a four pad scale system cost I can only think they just don't want anyone to know how heavy they really are.

http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1785&prodid=7146&pagetitle=Computerscales%c2%ae+AccuSet+II%e2%84%a2+1100+lb%2fpad
20 REPLIES 20

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
my Palomino pop up is within 25 pounds of the posted weight.
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
Northern Lite is proud of the weight of their campers. Each one is weighed and posted inside as it leaves the line.
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
My point was not that MFG's should all use these scales. It was that the cost of weighing is probably not the reason most of them under state the weight of each camper.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
It is what it is false advertisement.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Boatycall wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
That scale set is a toy for weekend warrior race car drivers. Now go price a real, certified, calibrated, industrial platform scale that will hold up to use in a production environment. Much more expensive.

And.... According to the very first line on the webpage, it wouldn't come close to being able to handle just my TC---

"Comes with 12" x 12" x 2¾" 1100 lb. capacity powder coated pads pads for lighter weight cars."

My TC alone is WAAYYYYYY over 4,400lbs....

That 1100lbs is per pad. 4 pads. 4x1100= 4400lbs. These were there cheapest scales.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
That scale set is a toy for weekend warrior race car drivers. Now go price a real, certified, calibrated, industrial platform scale that will hold up to use in a production environment. Much more expensive.

Cost is more of a factor than you give it credit for. Having plausible deniability is a happy bonus for the liability attorneys.

We just haven't had someone with deep enough pockets take the industry on, and we probably never will. The rare person that is hurt by these practices blames themselves, doesn't live to tell about it, or doesn't have the resources to go after the industry in a way that will cause them to change how they do business.

This scale was just an example they make more heavy duty scales like this. Yes they cost more but for a company that wants to charge forty thousand plus for one new camper a few thousand on a scale should not be a problem.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
2BLAZERS wrote:

Would be real education to weigh someones pickup empty, add the tie downs and Superhitch, etc...

Been there, got the T-shirt:

• 8900 pounds - one person, full fuel tank
  • Without Tailgate
  • Without Back seat

With:
  • 48" SuperTruss
  • Four Fastguns
  • Four tie down brackets
  • Box of kitty litter
  • Two aluminum folding chairs
  • One aluminum folding table
  • On person
  • Full fuel
8900 pounds - one person, full fuel tank
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
AMLRV (Adventurer/Eagle Cap) weighs all campers and posts ACTUAL weight as optioned inside camper.

I believe some others do also...NS maybe...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
If I owned a RV sales store I think it would be really helpful to have a scale to weigh everything for the customers or offer to take it to a local CAT certified scale.....

Would be real education to weigh someones pickup empty, add the tie downs and Superhitch, etc... than be able to shop and look at TCs knowing the sticker shows the true weight right then and there....

And one can do this pretty much by weighing their truck before shopping and a little web searching....
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Kayteg1 wrote:
My 15,000lb flatbed was check by Highway Patrol with those pad scales.
But I can only agree about conclusion why TC manufacturers don't want to know how much those things weight leaving the factory.
When I was buying my Fleetwood, I check the net to find rated weight 3800lb,.
The first stop at scales with fully winterized camper did show 4200lb.

Not "those" pad scales.

The ones the DOT uses are much heavier duty, capable of 10,000lbs per pad.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Shippers must have a weight on the bills of lading when they ship an item.

However, many times I think they use theoretical weights.
That's what I ran into many times during the past 40 odd years of over the road trucking flat bed and stepdeck freight. They fail to add the weight of any dunnage for instance. That's why I usually carried a few sticks of my own when loading steel bars and channels and/or coils which were sometimes on skids/pallets.

Many times I would be upwards of 2,000 lbs over the stated weight of the product as listed on the BOL, in which case I would request that it be changed or some mat'l taken off the truck.

When you are looking at an empty weight (tare) of 31,500 lbs and a shipment weight of 48,000 lbs, often times it would be one huge single coil of steel, there is not much wiggle room to be had, especially if you are low on fuel. Ask me how I know this!!

Obviously, 2 or 3 campers on a flatbed/stepdeck trailer should not be a weight problem, but still, the weights, be they actual or estimated, must be on the BOL's

Dave S.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 15,000lb flatbed was check by Highway Patrol with those pad scales.
But I can only agree about conclusion why TC manufacturers don't want to know how much those things weight leaving the factory.
When I was buying my Fleetwood, I check the net to find rated weight 3800lb,.
The first stop at scales with fully winterized camper did show 4200lb.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

And.... According to the very first line on the webpage, it wouldn't come close to being able to handle just my TC---

"Comes with 12" x 12" x 2¾" 1100 lb. capacity powder coated pads pads for lighter weight cars."

My TC alone is WAAYYYYYY over 4,400lbs....
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure if it's true, but supposedly, Host used to carry a scale to RV shows to show how accurate their weights were. At the end of the day, I suppose it doesn't matter what they say it is though. It matters what you weigh after you have all of your stuff and your trailer hooked up if you have one.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member