cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep Pickup (Gladiator)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this on the net....Jeep is going back into the pickup market...
Thought it was interesting....and sorry if I am the last one to know and it has already been posted....

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro
46 REPLIES 46

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
So long as any new Dakota isn’t as hideous as that final version. I had a ‘98 which I like the looks of. It had a few mechanical issues but nothing disasterous.

I’m not too fond of this Jeep pickup either. It just looks wrong, along with 4-door Wranglers in general.

In the early 90’s I owned a Comanche pickup which was styled like the Cherokee classic in the front. That was more my style for a Jeep pickup.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Fiat should bring back the Jeep station wagon, what was that called? I still see one on the roads around town, getting old now... Was a fan of the Magnum too.

2022 the Jeep Grand Wagoner comes out. Will be built on the Ram platform at the Warren truck plant along side the Ram HD line.

Oh and don't count the Dakota out just yet! 😉
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I hear the midsize trucks are going to make a comeback. Hopefully this jeep will sell well and they will bring back the Dakota.

There are a lot of us who don't want or need those massive Ram trucks, but still want a Dodge. I'll kwep on watching the jeep. At some point I will need to replace my Durango.

With the Gladiator they wont need the Dakota. So It will be nice to see a midsize again.

They definitely need the Dakota. I grew up in a Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth dealership family and a Jeep does not quite follow my grandfather's "I told you you shoulda bought a Dodge" decree. 🙂
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Just dont order one with a manual trans. DDs Jeep Wrangler,has been in the shop for over 6 weeks waiting for a new trans. And there is at least one other sitting for the same problem.

Sisters 4 door Rubicon manual seems to be doing great, though it is a 2017, so not sure if the trans is the same. She's like me, would always opt for the stick shift as long as they are still available.

I like the new Jeep truck, and I'm sure will sell well, but personally wouldn't serve my purposes.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
I hear the midsize trucks are going to make a comeback. Hopefully this jeep will sell well and they will bring back the Dakota.

There are a lot of us who don't want or need those massive Ram trucks, but still want a Dodge. I'll kwep on watching the jeep. At some point I will need to replace my Durango.

With the Gladiator they wont need the Dakota. So It will be nice to see a midsize again.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
js9234 wrote:
It does in the Rubicon package.
FishOnOne wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I think it's cool. Solid Dana 44's with lockers on both ends, swaybar disconnects, and a 4:1 low range ratio. The breakover and departure angles are going to suffer compared to a standard Jeep but you can't really avoid that in a pickup platform. This thing will smoke all the other trucklets on the market in terms of offroad prowess. In fact it should be right up there with the Power Wagon with the advantage of being a lot handier size. And it looks a lot cooler in Rubicon form than it does in the picture above.

It doesn't have a locker on the front axle, but it does have a limited slip.

Link

https://gearjunkie.com/2020-jeep-gladiator-pickup-truck

Agree. This article says it has front and rear lockers with the Rubicon package, and the Wrangler with the Rubicon package has front and rear lockers. I think the pickuptrucks.com blog has failed again.

It sure does
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Our Jeep dealer has been offering a conversion that looks a lot this one for about five years or so. There are probable 5 or 6 running around town, four door and two door wranglers.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
js9234 wrote:
It's in the spec sheet. It looks legit. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/2020-jeep-gladiator-specifications-sheet-feature-availability.8468/

mich800 wrote:
js9234 wrote:
I'm disappointed that the manual transmission severely lowers towing capacity. On the Rubicon it goes from 7k with auto to 4.5k with a manual. I would only order one with a manual but it won't haul my 6k trailer.

Where did you see that? Are you sure it was not just a lower spec on the Rubicon. I thought the load rating on the Rubicon tires were noted as why the lower spec. Need to find the article again.

Good find on the specs

js9234
Explorer
Explorer
It's in the spec sheet. It looks legit. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/2020-jeep-gladiator-specifications-sheet-feature-availability.8468/

mich800 wrote:
js9234 wrote:
I'm disappointed that the manual transmission severely lowers towing capacity. On the Rubicon it goes from 7k with auto to 4.5k with a manual. I would only order one with a manual but it won't haul my 6k trailer.

Where did you see that? Are you sure it was not just a lower spec on the Rubicon. I thought the load rating on the Rubicon tires were noted as why the lower spec. Need to find the article again.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Gear splits in the manual may lower it a bit, but the likely culprit is a, not meant for heavy towing, clutch.
The trans will handle the full torque of the same engine in front of the auto plus some (it's rated for around 350 ft lbs) and the chassis is the same.
Leaves only the clutch as the major culprit.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
js9234 wrote:

js9234
Explorer
Explorer

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
fx2tom wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Fiat should bring back the Jeep station wagon, what was that called? I still see one on the roads around town, getting old now... Was a fan of the Magnum too.

Just wait. There is rumor of them coming back with the Grand Wagoneer. Even with optional wood grain! Seriously!!!! They are doing this as it is rumored that the big GM SUV’s may be saying goodbye.

IDE love to see a new Grand Wagoneer!

I've read multiple reports that it is coming back but with differing market position. One report said it would be positioned against the Tahoe/Expedition. Another said it would be uber luxury to go up against the Range Rover. If they build it on the 1500 frame as reported and market it against the Tahoe it would most likely be a success. If they try to go against the Range Rover it will fail. Just my $.02.

I agree completely. They need to market it properly!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just dont order one with a manual trans. DDs Jeep Wrangler,has been in the shop for over 6 weeks waiting for a new trans. And there is at least one other sitting for the same problem.