cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just bought our first new trailer!

Slimline
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, we are pretty excited. My wife and I just bought out first ever new trailer. We bought a Coachmen Catalina 323bhdsck legacy edition. It hast to be built so we have a bit of a wait ahead of us but that is ok. In other great news just this morning we found out we are pregnant with our third child. Thank goodness we bought a bunkhouse!

I have been reading tons and tons of threads, I am 50 pages into the cool mods thread and getting some good ideas for stuff. I am mostly trying to get myself up to date on doing a good and complete PDI. Now I feel like if our trailer gets delivered mid winter up here in Ontario, that I wont be able to test a lot of the trailer, like AC, water pump and fixtures etc for leaks and general function. Should I have them test all this and then rewinterize? My dealer seemed pretty good, very nice to deal with, I dont think he would give me trouble if I ran into factory issues in the spring but better be safe than sorry I guess.

We have done a lot of camping in our first trailer, which is a beast. It is a 1986 prowler lynx 31zb if I recall correctly. It did us well but we are excited to move on!

Anyways, I am just excited to go camping, or glamping as some would say, but I am ok with that too. AC for the first time out there will be awesome. This summer we got stuck trying to sleep in our old beast when it was 36 degrees celsius. It was miserable.

Rob
22 REPLIES 22

Slimline
Explorer
Explorer
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
Slim,

Congrats on the new rig and the 3rd little one on the way. But I have to ask are you guys sure it is only one baby???? Lol Having twin boys have to ask.

Hope all goes well with both deliveries!!!

As mentioned, if you are mainly concerned about battery drain while in storage, install a cut off switch. The mods link in my signature has pics of how I mounted my switch to the battery box. Used a Blue Sea Mini switch.

Make sure you get a good wdh with integrated sway control. And try to size the wd bars to the loaded tw, not the "brochure" dry weight.

Good luck!!!

My goodness, I had not even considered twins haha. Well I guess that would solve the middle child dilemma. At least we would have the sleeping space. Congratulations on your new little ones on the way! It is exciting for sure.

I actually just picked up a like new Husky Centreline HD with both sets of weight bars (Ill need the 1200 pound rated ones). I got it for 400 Canadian used, which isnt bad, the dealer quoted me 525 which seems about the going rate here. We do pack heavy, I will have to get it on a scale and see where I sit once we get it.

Rob

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Slim,

Congrats on the new rig and the 3rd little one on the way. But I have to ask are you guys sure it is only one baby???? Lol Having twin boys have to ask.

Hope all goes well with both deliveries!!!

As mentioned, if you are mainly concerned about battery drain while in storage, install a cut off switch. The mods link in my signature has pics of how I mounted my switch to the battery box. Used a Blue Sea Mini switch.

Make sure you get a good wdh with integrated sway control. And try to size the wd bars to the loaded tw, not the "brochure" dry weight.

Good luck!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Bayoubass
Explorer
Explorer
You sound excited.... good, you should be. Have fun.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the solar and run power out to your home parking spot. Maybe enough to run the AC. Sure is nice doing inside maintenance/loading/unloading in the summer and being able to run the AC.

Happy camping!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

jonmad
Explorer
Explorer
God Bless and enjoy your new baby and your camper !

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
congrats on the new RV and new addition to the household.:)

As for tires, check out the airforums.com as more and more folks are ditching the Goodyear marathons, especially, and going with a Michelin LT tires in the 16" size to almost eliminating the tire blow out issue you can experience with the ST tires..

I know there are a lot of folks that have used GM for years with no problems and that is good.. if you change them every 3-4 yrs, then no problem for the most part. With LT tires many are going 6-7 or more yrs with no issues and lot of OTR miles.

On the solar panels you might want to check out Handy Bobs Solar.
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/welcome-to-handybob-solar/

Here's a guy that installs or used to install, works on (not so much now), and lives on solar everyday all day in Montana, yes montana.

So, Read and read and then read again, I have been through the site at least 5 times now and see new stuff every time ๐Ÿ™‚ (i print the stuff out and read in bed,what a nerd i know right..) and learn what it takes to put to together a real working solar system for your RV.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations,, and Have Fun !

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Slimline wrote:
Ideally we can book hydro sites to utilize the AC, it will be a welcome creature comfort this coming summer especially with a pregnant wife. Before we had trailers we would go on 4 and 5 day atv trips in tents on the good old earth in tents and sleeping bags. Times change and with the family trailers sure are nice.

Yes they are ... and my bet is once you get used to all those amenities you'll really start enjoying them, which in turn means you'll be looking for electric campsites whenever you can get them. Everyone does, that's why electric sites in the Ontario provincial park system are GONE once that 5 month reservations window comes up. Unfortunately, on average only ~ 1/3rd of the sites in the Ontario provincial park system are electric but at least the govt has finally woken up to the fact they can sell more sites if they're all electric, Inverhuron PP being a great example. Point being, if your new norm is electric campsites you'd be far better off IMO to invest in a surge protector / EMS rather than throw $$$ away on a solar system you don't need. An EMS will go a long way towards protecting your trailer's very expensive electrical system from a variety of anomalies that you won't be able to avoid, particularly excessively low voltage. Your choice of course but unless you're committed to extensive dry camping you'll never realize full return on your investment in solar.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you install an AGM battery, it will take a very long time to discharge while sitting idle with no power draw.
Install a cut off switch or simply remove the power cable off the battery when you park it. No power draw, no worries about a dead battery.

You could also install toggle switches to turn off the stereo and detectors and anything else running off 12 volts while you are not occupying the TT. If you leave the fridge running on gas , your only draw would be the fridge's 12v circuit which is about 1/2 an amp,depending on the model.
I have left my fridge running on gas, off grid for about a week with no problems.

Slimline
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and suggestions everyone. I will see if my dealer allows for an overnight test run, mind you I am only 15 minutes away so if issues arise I don't have a long haul back for service. Forgive me if I conveyed the wrong message SoundGuy, I was not looking up solar to have an off grid/dry camp setup. More so just to keep the batteries maintained and offset light use. I currently have to run a 75 foot extension to my trailer on my property when not in use to keep the batteries up, I was figuring if I had a panel on the TT I could scrap the cord. We do mostly camp in the Prov. Parks, often we dont have hydro sites though and that doesnt bother us for the most part. As I said, I do have a generator and on my old rig had two batteries and we never had an issue. We do dry camp a few times a year for the weekend when we go to a few different events. I consider this trailer glamping in the sense it has so many amenities we are not used to. Ideally we can book hydro sites to utilize the AC, it will be a welcome creature comfort this coming summer especially with a pregnant wife. Before we had trailers we would go on 4 and 5 day atv trips in tents on the good old earth in tents and sleeping bags. Times change and with the family trailers sure are nice.

Rob

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
As for my thinking, you can buy a 50 or 100w self contained solar unit for less than $150, be it good or bad in some folks eyes they will work for keeping the single battery toped off even on shady or overcast days, the 50w system on my Lance TC spoiled me because if I didn't need the A/C or heat I could camp for months with no shore power, LP was my biggest problem.

and I parked it under roof when not in use and the battery never was dead, It would get enough light to keep the battery charged.

I personally don't like running a genny so that could have an effect on my thoughts.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Slimline wrote:
My wife and I just bought out first ever new trailer. We bought a Coachmen Catalina 323bhdsck legacy edition.

We have done a lot of camping in our first trailer, which is a beast. It is a 1986 prowler lynx 31zb if I recall correctly.

Anyways, I am just excited to go camping, or glamping as some would say, but I am ok with that too. AC for the first time out there will be awesome. This summer we got stuck trying to sleep in our old beast when it was 36 degrees celsius. It was miserable.

As one who also lives and camps here in Ontario I must be missing something. :h You just bought a new trailer that measures a considerable 35' 10", are excited to go "glamping" which usually means camping with all resources, at a minimum 120 vac shore power, yet you're thinking of investing in solar? :@ Presumably you have your reasons, especially since you're already experienced RVrs, but I must be missing something here ... where in Ontario are you intending to dry camp with such a large trailer and so often that you're willing to invest in solar? This model you've chosen and the amenities it offers would certainly qualify as an excellent candidate for "glamping" but that's going to require services ... and if you have services then your battery will be full charged anyway. What's the advantage to solar? :h

And before anyone jumps all over me for these questions - I'm just asking. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on your 3rd child as well as your new TT . May you all have good health and safe use in the years ahead.

Personally, i would wait on jumping into any expensive add-ons like solar plus an inverter until you take delivery and try things out for a season to actually see what rv lifestyle works best for you with a larger family as well a new TT with more bells n whistle's.

soundguy makes a good point regarding shady sites. That's the problem i experienced using solar and opted for genny use a few hrs each day, rain,shade or shine.

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer
Slimline wrote:
we are pregnant with our third child.
Rob

Both of you at the same time , that is a miracle ๐Ÿ™‚
Anyway , congrats and enjoy