cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just checked my fuel mileage

lancekeys
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I just filled up my tank after picking up the trailer and one camping trip. I drove a total of 122 miles and got 6.5 miles per gallon. When I pulled the trailer home, I was really impressed with how well my truck pulled it and how I had all the power I needed. Well no wonder I was making a lot of power!

Looks like I am going to have to get out of the left lane and slow down a bit. I was really testing the truck to see what it would do, and how well it would pull, so I was driving quite hard. Truck kept up with traffic at 70-75mph no problem. I hope by slowing down I can get my numbers up to 9 or 10 mpg. Either way, I can't think of a cheaper solution other than not going. I could upgrade to a diesel or a newer truck, but my truck is paid for and I trust it. It would take a long time to re-coup the cost of a newer truck, just to save a little fuel.

Edit: Thought my signature would appear, but it did not. I am towing a 28' Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel with a 1999 dodge 2500 with the 360 V-8 and a 5 speed transmission (not sure about differential gearing).
1999 dodge 2500 360 V-8
2002 28' Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel
44 REPLIES 44

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My 96 1/2t 360 got 9-9.5 towing and I agree on the trans. I stayed in direct or it would turn the fluid brown in <100 miles. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Something for everyone to remember is that if you have OEM or after market trailer (ST) tires, they are only rated for 65mph. You create a lot of heat on trailer tires the faster they turn which in the long run cuts down the length of time between tire changes and the increase possibility of a failure of a tire. If you switch to LT tires, you can increase your speed to the 70-75 area.
USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

lancekeys
Explorer
Explorer
What an interesting run of replies! The speed limit was 75 on I-30 where I was running. The trucks however stay around 65, so I will hang with them next time. My long term plan is to drop a 12 or 24 valve cummins in when the 360 bites the dust. Hopefully this will be a long time from now.
1999 dodge 2500 360 V-8

Goose2448
Explorer
Explorer
I have found myself towing 20K trailers at 90+. Easy to do with no cruise. Yes I use that when towing on the straight and flat. My truck gets better milage at 79 vs 65. You have to find the sweet spot for your truck. Mine is right at 1900 rpms. That means when towing, I drop to 5th at 66 mph and its just about perfect. I also try to stay with the flow of traffic, say 5 under. Speed limit is 70 all around here so it works out.

Quick story, I used to work for a company that had a 05 3500 DRW 6.0 gas and a 06 3500 DRW 4x4 LBZ. They towed the same trailers with the same weight on them. The gasser saw between 3-5 mpgs loaded while the LBZ saw 12ish. It also didnt struggle to get going or feel like there was too much weight behind it. We scalled 35K Daily. Plus a Diesel is more fun to play with, so you may spend a little more out of pocket, but the smile it will put on your face is priceless.
2008 GMC LMM CCLB DRW "Stuff and Things"
2004 Jayco Jayflight

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I've spent the last two years pulling at 65 mph and I can tell you that my mpg has actually gone down from when I was towing at 70. The up side is that the trailer tires seem to be lasting better.

55 mph in the west where the speed limit is 75 seems dangerously slow.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
I found that reducing my speed from 60-65 MPH to 55 I got 10% better fuel milage at $4 per gal that is like a 40 cent discount!
I just don't worry about getting run over on the freeway. If there is quite a bit of traffic,I keep up with the flow,so I don't become a road hazzard,oterwise,I try to hold it close to 55. Notice,I said "try" Sometimes that Cummins CTD wants to "lead the pack".But 70-75 is too much for me.I feel like I am the road hazzard at that speed with 20K + GCW
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
If you can keep up with the trucks, you are doing well. Have a smooth trip.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
not throwing a stone but nobody should be towing at 70 plus mph , your puting every one in danger

I agree. I was headed west this morning on I-10 east of Beaumont, Tx doing 80 in my car in a 75 mph zone-yes I was speeding. A Ford F-150 passed me up pulling a pop up. Don't know the tire size but they were small.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
lancekeys wrote:
Well, I just filled up my tank after picking up the trailer and one camping trip. I drove a total of 122 miles and got 6.5 miles per gallon. When I pulled the trailer home, I was really impressed with how well my truck pulled it and how I had all the power I needed. Well no wonder I was making a lot of power!

Looks like I am going to have to get out of the left lane and slow down a bit. I was really testing the truck to see what it would do, and how well it would pull, so I was driving quite hard. Truck kept up with traffic at 70-75mph no problem. I hope by slowing down I can get my numbers up to 9 or 10 mpg. Either way, I can't think of a cheaper solution other than not going. I could upgrade to a diesel or a newer truck, but my truck is paid for and I trust it. It would take a long time to re-coup the cost of a newer truck, just to save a little fuel.

Edit: Thought my signature would appear, but it did not. I am towing a 28' Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel with a 1999 dodge 2500 with the 360 V-8 and a 5 speed transmission (not sure about differential gearing).

You don't mention how much weight your 5er is but 6.5 MPG is terrible and I would highly doubt dropping speed to 60-65 is going to improve the numbers much more than .5-1 MPG.

Many of the newer engines not only have more power but also better mileage too boot.

My new 2013 F250 with 6.2 got 9.5-10.1 MPG pulling 26ft TT loaded up to about 6500 lbs plus I was carrying a 120 lb gen, 4 bicycles, firewood plus 3 passengers in my truck. So I figure I am about 7200-7500 lbs.

Best I could do with my 2006 F250 with 5.4 was 8-9 MPG and that engine was working pulling 8%-9% grades.

My 6.2 effortlessly towed my load up the same grades with power to spare.

Now some of your low mileage issue could also be your driving habits. Towing is like trying to pull a pile of cement blocks without wheels. There is no aerodynamics to a RV and it has a lot of weight plus rolling resistance. Just doesn't lend it's self to getting good mileage nor does it get you qualified for the Indy 500.

Instead of stomping on the gas, try less gas to get it rolling. Once you get up to speed then back off the gas a bit until you notice it losing speed, you need to balance the amount of gas to just keep it at speed. You will be surprised how much better the gas mileage can get if you don't try to operate the vehicle like you stole it especially when towing.

Last of all, don't be in a hurry, you ARE camping, not like you are trying to get to work to punch in before it is too late.

Its your choice to do what you want with your money but I am very glad I bought a new more powerful truck :B

While some folks have voiced an opinion about 70 being too fast, I would tend to disagree with that statement. Towing at 60 or even 65 on most interstates makes YOU A DANGEROUS TARGET.

Especially true on roads with 70 MPH limits posted, folks are often driving 75-80 MPH and may not notice in time a vehicle which is 10 MPH or more below the limit.

Driving anything too far below the speed limit can get you fined since you become a safety hazard to other motorists trying to get around you or even not noticing you are going slower than the rest of the pack.

If you are scared to drive at 65-70 then perhaps you should choose a slower and more scenic route.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a 600 mile trip. If I saw 50 trailers on my journey, 40 of them were huge 5th wheels doing better than 75mph. I keep it at 62mph and passed one trailer while being passed by all the rest. People is crazy. 🙂
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

zogg
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2000 ram with the 360....loved the truck but could not keep gas in it..lol

Pulled like crazy. I went thru three transmissions in 33,000 miles...dammm shame because i hated trading it for a GMC...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
6.4 Hemi, 4x4, 3.73, 6 Speed Auto
2016 Keystone Hideout 7500# Dry :B

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you sound like a great guy , injoy your rv and please lower the fuel bill just a little ,I,m a retired old fart and would like to make a long haul to AZ and I gotta go thru your state. nice country up your way. and yep we all learn some thing each day.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Might also check your trailer tire ratings. Typical ST tire speed ratings are rather low at 65 MPH IIRC.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

lancekeys
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion. I will slow down. I don't mind buying fuel, the oil field supports my family.

I don't mind people throwing stones, it won't hurt my feeling and I may just learn something.
1999 dodge 2500 360 V-8

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
not throwing a stone but nobody should be towing at 70 plus mph , your puting every one in danger . and yes you,ll get much better mpg at 65 even better at 60.slow down cheat a oil guru out of some money.