cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just said good bye to my F350

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
A sad day today, my F350 V10 just sold. Due to limited driveway space and new local restrictions on bigger trucks the beast had to go.

The new owner is going to get one heck of a good tow vehicle.

Dependable, bullet proof, just a solid truck.

We just did a 3000km trip from Winnipeg to Wisconsin Dells and back with lots of side trips over the last 2 weeks. Just set the speed, hit the cruise and not worry. It kept up to any traffic and towed like a dream. First time in the 4 years I have had it that we took a big trip on the interstates. 23 to 32 L/100km depending on headwind and vehicle speed.

I had very sad emotions to see it for the last time but with the new F150 now in town at the local rail yard waiting to be unloaded, it was time.

Actually great timing. The dealership is lending me a vehicle until mine is ready to pick up which hopefully is only a few days.

It's truly amazing how much emotion we invest in these depreciating assets made of tin, plastic, and rubber...
Spree 318bhs. Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch.
Primary tow vehicle 2015 F150 super crew, 5.0 V8.
34 REPLIES 34

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
23-32 l / 100 ????
I realize big gas engine but.......
What kind of weight were you towing?

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
I had many discussions with Manitoba Public Insurance, Winnipeg police (while they were giving me a ticket for a random stop),and the provincial traffic regulators.

The only thing you are currently exempt from is the yearly physicals.

Personal use you still need special insurance, yearly safety inspections, and safety equipment in the vehicle. Plus whatever they bring in in the fall!

My brother in law had the same thing and was stopped by the RCMP. No getting around it.

me2
Explorer
Explorer
You must have been using your truck for business purposes ?

"If your heavy vehicle is used exclusively for personal use, you do not have to comply with these rules."

http://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/mcd/mcs/hvsi/index.html

Even if you were using it for business, the compliance doesn't seem that onerous.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/mcd/mcs/hvsi/comply_passenger.html

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we stop allowing the idiots to vote. Its funny... people that think they are too stupid to decide how to spend their money vote for a certain party.

People that think they should be allowed to spend their money that they earned on something that they want tend to vote for a different party.

As long as more people vote that think they are too stupid to self-regulate (what truck can you buy and drive...) and too stupid to invest and spend their own money (social programs, social security, mandatory healthcare, etc), then we will continue to have government telling us what we can drive, where we can drive it, how we can drive it, who can drive it and when we can drive it.

Yup! And to think government could be spending time trying to combat poverty, hunger, clean water issues, diseases, etc. instead of telling people what trucks they can drive. How do people drive U-Haul trucks in Manitoba that are rated much higher than 11,000 pounds? And it would be interesting to see where the data is that suggests that drivers of F350/3500's need medical and special insurance/ licenses to be safe.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
War of Independance; the sequal.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
GeoBoy wrote:
Just what we all need more government in our lives. When is all this going to stop?

When we stop allowing the idiots to vote. Its funny... people that think they are too stupid to decide how to spend their money vote for a certain party.

People that think they should be allowed to spend their money that they earned on something that they want tend to vote for a different party.

As long as more people vote that think they are too stupid to self-regulate (what truck can you buy and drive...) and too stupid to invest and spend their own money (social programs, social security, mandatory healthcare, etc), then we will continue to have government telling us what we can drive, where we can drive it, how we can drive it, who can drive it and when we can drive it.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Yep.... A story like this is a sign the owner had a good truck.

As for another brand I had a big grin when it was unloaded and replaced with another Super Duty. :B

How about the happy day I got rid of my Superduty ,and went to a Ram

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Shogun wrote:
It is our provincial licensing body Manitoba Public Insurance that is the issue. Not a HOA.

The truck has a GVWR of 11000 lbs. That places it locally in the same licensing category of highway tractor trailers.

Current requirements beyond normal vehicle licensing:
- Yearly government inspections.
- Need to carry special fire extinguisher, flares, road markers, etc. (not a bad idea)
- special insurance categories with additional insurance riders and policies to travel out of province.

Future requirements:

- Special plates, more regulations coming this fall.

Potential requirements:

- yearly government medical exams at owners cost.

All this just to tow a travel trailer a few times per year...

Thanks for the explanation. I had heard that this is why the F250 was rated just under the 11k and the F350 is just over it. I had a hard time understanding why the F250 and F350 were both available with similar ratings.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Shogun wrote:
It is our provincial licensing body Manitoba Public Insurance that is the issue. Not a HOA.

The truck has a GVWR of 11000 lbs. That places it locally in the same licensing category of highway tractor trailers.

- Need to carry special fire extinguisher, flares, road markers, etc. (not a bad idea)
- special insurance categories with additional insurance riders and policies to travel out of province.

Future requirements:

Potential requirements:

Just what we all need more government in our lives. When is all this going to stop?

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer

Future requirements:

Potential requirements:

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

As for another brand I had a big grin when it was unloaded and replaced with another Super Duty. :B

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exactly my thoughts. I would move before I'd let some HOA determine what size vehicle I could have.

Yup, X2.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
Whaaat? Local restrictions dictate your choice of vehicle? That's a new one on me. Might make me glad I live in the middle of nowhere.

Exactly my thoughts. I would move before I'd let some HOA determine what size vehicle I could have.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Funny troll....um troy my bad. I felt the same way when I finally traded off my last lemon Ford. :):):):):):):):):) is that enough smallies?

Don

don.... I'm not the one trolling a 2018 F150 diesel in my signature to justify my trucks performance. Again control your angst... It shows! :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Whaaat? Local restrictions dictate your choice of vehicle? That's a new one on me. Might make me glad I live in the middle of nowhere.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard