cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K2500 and 12,500 lb Keystone Raptor 3712

jklennon
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I am trying to prepare my truck to pull a trailer slightly over the tow capacity. I know it's not ideal but I don't have a choice at the moment. So please if you are going to tell me why I shouldn't do this move along. This is only temporary, but at the moment it's my only choice.

Truck specs. 2000 GMC K2500 ext cab, LWB, 7.4L Vortec Automatic 4.10. Tow package, tranny cooler ect. Cat back single exhaust, K&N air filter, 93 octane computer tune. Reese 15K pro series Hitch. BFG, T/A K.O 265/75/16 E. Truck is rated to pull 11,500lbs stock.

Trailer specs. 2007 Keystone Raptor 3712. 39.1ft long, 13.5 ft high. Shipping weight 12,415lbs hitch weight 2920lbs. Tri axle.

I haven't picked up the trailer yet and I am trying to prepare my truck before I do so.

Planning on tranny flush, oil change, fuel injector clean.

Maybe airbags? Helper springs? Brake upgrade? 4.56? Camshaft? Supercharger? Shift kit? Please, serious answers. I know the 3500s are rated for 13,500lb with the same engine tranny and 4.56 and stiffer suspension.

Thank you for your help in advance.
38 REPLIES 38

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you are trying to find someone who will tell you what you want to hear, "It's ok, you'll be just fine, lots of people do it."

So, I say, go for it, you'll be fine.

(You spend a lot of money bolting on add ons and modifying your truck. Should have bought a bigger truck instead.)

Anyway, good luck with it and hopefully others will tell you what you want to hear.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

jklennon
Explorer
Explorer
thank you rocmoc for your "real world" advise. LOL. i was looking at the 5000 airbags. The sides of the trailer look very nice so maybe the issue was addressed in 07.

The previous owner isnt available for questions.

So if i upgrade the hitch is it possible that it will use the same rails if i get another reese pro series? It would be nice to keep the new rails to install on a new truck in December.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
with all the upgrades you plan on making, I think it would be cheaper to buy a new truck. one that will tow your TT safely.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 3612. Pulled it with a Dodge Ram 2500 heavy duty, Quadcab 4x4. No problems with the Ram in over 110,000 miles of pulling. I did install 5,000 airbags in the rear to level because of the pin weight of a Toyhauler. Pulled it in Mexico over grades you will not find in USA. The only other upgrade was drilled brake disc on the front when it came time to do the brake job to the Ram. The only problem I ever had was with the triple axle setup; the rear axle scrubs the trailer tires and causes failures. After 11 Maxxis tire failures I upgraded the 15" rims & tires to 16" and used LT tires. Problem solved but then moved on to a DP Motorhome & car trailer or toad. Our Keystone was a 06 and they had delim problems which were repaired on warranty at the time. Look the sides over and ask present owner if they have had any problems. Believe they had the delim problems addressed by 07. Also I used a 19,000 lb Pullrite Superglide hitch. The hitch really takes a beating and one area I would not short cut. Good Luck!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

I_m_Rick_James
Explorer
Explorer
jklennon wrote:
I am trying to prepare my truck to pull a trailer slightly over the tow capacity.

You're going to be more than "slightly" over tow capacity.
jklennon wrote:
I know it's not ideal but I don't have a choice at the moment.

Does someone have a gun to your head?
jklennon wrote:
okay. So even by turning my truck into a SRW K3500. Springs, rear diff. in your expert opinion will not safely pull this trailer?

No
jklennon wrote:
If this opinion is based on the legality i am aware of the concequence of exceeding factory limits.

And what is the consequence?
jklennon wrote:
I am also aware that factory limits are to protect the manufacturer from liability and under most circumstances are much lower than real world limits.

What are "real world" limits, is there a fake world?
jklennon wrote:
I plan to pull it 3 times or less this year before upgrading my truck in December.

So you're proposing replacing leaf springs, gears, installing a supercharger, etc. on a vehicle you're going to replace in 3 months?
jklennon wrote:
Once to my home( 60 miles away) once to the Coast (500 miles Round trip), and once to FL. (1000 miles Round trip).

I guess if you never stopped driving it would only be 1 trip by your logic.
'08 Ford F350 LB,CC, 4x4 King Ranch, Reunel front and rear winch bumpers, Warn 12k winch
'12 Voltage 3900
'10 Polaris Ranger Crew
BAN Ib516, rick83864

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
When something happens and the investigation begins into the a crash or what have you insurance will likely get involved and refuse to cover you. I have seen it happen a couple times on collisions Ive worked on I-75. One being a trailer full of round hay bales that was being towed by a half ton Chevy that jack knifed during a panic stop. The passenger car behind it drove under the now sideways trailer causing a juvenile passenger in the front seat to sustain serious injuries and was airlifted from the scene. I wont bore you with other details but we did charge him. PM me if you want more
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

jklennon
Explorer
Explorer
okay. So even by turning my truck into a SRW K3500. Springs, rear diff. in your expert opinion will not safely pull this trailer? even though GM put a different sticker on the K3500? If this opinion is based on the legality i am aware of the concequence of exceeding factory limits. I am also aware that factory limits are to protect the manufacturer from liability and under most circumstances are much lower than real world limits. I could understand concern if I was planning to pull every day, loaded to the max and pulling out West up steep gradients. I plan to pull it 3 times or less this year before upgrading my truck in December. Once to my home( 60 miles away) once to the Coast (500 miles Round trip), and once to FL. (1000 miles Round trip).

APT
Explorer
Explorer
truck to pull a trailer slightly over the tow capacity

Understatement. That's dually territory. It isn't your only choice. You can not pull it, not buy it, upgrade the truck, downgrade the RV, find a friend, hire a company.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but if you don't want anyone to post why you shouldn't do it, you posted in the wrong forum. Doesn't matter what you do to your truck, it doesn't change the ratings on that little grey sticker on your door post or GM's max trailer rating.

As well, with the trailer loaded, you are pretty well at the max of your 15K hitch.

Good luck.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS