cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kids Got a Skamper

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
The daughter and son-in-law just bought a 1993-4 Skamper hardside (looks like a 8.5') VIN 1SK79C892P8952489 manufacturer date 4/93, no other info or model number, on a 1994 Dodge long bed 1500, looks like 4x4.

Already discussing the truck being too light and he's the one to first mention it. This is their first RV. Got both for $1000. Plans to weigh the unit then remove the camper and weigh the truck to learn the camper dry weight. Then fix the truck up and sell so as to buy a heavier truck.

I'm finding Internet info pretty Skimpy on Skamper. Anybody with info/input links, experiences with their own Skamper, etc. for data about this brand and possible model number, etc. please speak up.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well the camper isn't a basket case but maybe should be. Pretty rough with significant rubber roof damage and internal problems because of it. Treated rough - has been used without even being tied down and that front wall is damaged as a result - some people huh? There was one rear tie-down chained to the mid bed stake pocket LOL. To keep it from sliding rearward.

Was inherited by sellers from grandparents who may not have even used it for awhile. But the son-in-law is a deal finder. That's what this was, not a search for their first RV. The TC just came along for the ride, so-to-speak.

In this neck of the woods, this truck fixed up slightly and cleaned up, new oil, etc., will pretty easily fetch $1500.

1994 half-ton full bed single cab 4x4 with good rubber, $1500 in the High School boy demographic. Son-in-law is a motor head and this is kind of what he does for a hobby and to make a bit of cash.

The TC for now can act as a built-in yard shed for the value of parts it contains, until deciding what to do in that regard. Perhaps an out right sale, or parting out, because there are some pretty good things here: fridge, furnace, water heater, water tank, etc., etc.

Most importantly, I think they have been bitten. Their circumstances might be better suited to a tent trailer, perhaps a small TC, or good condition and well priced vintage trailer for part swaps. Or even a well chosen enclosed cargo trailer to make into a nicely outfitted (with the TC parts) toy hauler to give them that enclosed snowmobile trailer that is their real love.

Time will tell. ๐Ÿ™‚

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Please make note of what kind of suspension enhancements it has. Looks to be sitting pretty level there, and even 1000lbs would squat one of those trucks down pretty noticeably.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Okay, you raised her right and she choose well. Lol.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I look it over with them this weekend. Maybe more pics.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
kohldad wrote:
Looks nice except the peeling in the front. Jump on that front clearance light and check the roof to nose seam.

Weigh it and you may find he will be okay with the current truck if it is in good enough shape to trust. Those Skampers were very light TCs.

Regardless, congrats to you for raising him right and congrats to him for joining the TC group.

Yeah he'said thinking spring pack attention, but I half wonder about the semi-floater and size of brakes. Besides, I think he has his eye on an F350 with back seat for the boys.

We didn't raise him, just the daughter, but I think she's doing her part to raise him right, like my wife did me. LOL.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joe417 wrote:
Looks like it needs a bit of care right above the front window. My first TC was about the same. Looks like fun.

Don't suppose you can give him any pointers??

๐Ÿ˜‰

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks nice except the peeling in the front. Jump on that front clearance light and check the roof to nose seam.

Weigh it and you may find he will be okay with the current truck if it is in good enough shape to trust. Those Skampers were very light TCs.

Regardless, congrats to you for raising him right and congrats to him for joining the TC group.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it needs a bit of care right above the front window. My first TC was about the same. Looks like fun.

Don't suppose you can give him any pointers??
Joe and Evelyn

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, and he thinks he can get $1500 out of the truck so they paid him $500 to drive it away! ๐Ÿ™‚

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
congrats, can't wait for the day when my kids get a TC of their own :), looks like a solid deal, for 1k that camper looks great! Way better than a tent.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
With no slide looks like possibly an model M-800. Oh I see, slide irrelevant, self contained makes it M-850 or M-895.

And no Skamper TC after 1996.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1994/Skamper