cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

kz travel trailer

vintholidays
Explorer
Explorer
just wondering what your opinion is with the kz brand. We are purchasing a 2014 kz spree 280 rls and hope we picked the right one....thanks (hate buyers remorse)
25 REPLIES 25

waynec1957
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2017 KZ 330 IK. Following this thread...
2013 Chevy Sliverado 2500 HD LS Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison, HD Tow Package, GCWR 24,500

2017 KZ Sportsmen S330 IK

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I remember the frame on my KZ Jag went all the way from tongue to back bumper, unlike the frame in my Bullet.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

dlos
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned a 2010 KZ Spree 240BHS LX since 2011. Have taken it to Yellowstone (from NC) and a bunch of other closer destinations since we got it. We are the second owner, first owner used it two times before selling to us (he couldn't keep up the payments).

The only issue I have encountered with it was the brake wiring, the run inside the axle wore out and shorted so I rewired the entire brake system and it's been fine since.

Other than the above issue, no problems at all. I've made several improvements, the most notable was replacing all the plastic drawer slides with metal locking slides and now when we travel and open the camper up at the end of the day, the drawers are all still closed!

IMO, the construction of our unit was above average and I feel that there are many more trouble free years of use left in the unit.
2014 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew, 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2010 KZ Spree 240BHS LX
Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch

Nights Camped in 2015: 18

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
campinia wrote:

I just went and looked at the frame on my 2015 KZ and it also says BAL Norco.

You guys with the BAL/Norco frame have a great frame. I know KZ wanted to use them on 2014 models but when I spoke to BAL, they said they couldn't supply them in the quantity that KZ wanted. Some early 2014 Spree Connect models had the BAL frame and then they went back to the Lippert 3-piece welded ones. Maybe BAL and KZ have things worked out and KZ is now using BAL frames?

Rthomas61
Explorer
Explorer
Have had our 2013 KZ 280 BunkHouse Show Stopper for 3 years now on a seasonal site. Other than minor issues, love it!

Things to watch out for when you get it:

1. If it has the power awning, the wire from the motor goes into the side of the trailer. Second year, I found a puddle on the floor in the bedroom....chased it all around and couldn't find the source. Just happened to "bump" the wire and found that the material they used to waterproof it had separated from the inside allowing rain to leak in. Solved with silicone seal

2. Just had the Carbon Monoxide/Gas leak detector go on us. Was sounding in the middle of the night. No gas on at all! Disconnected it and got a battery CO detector

3. Had the inline circuit breaker mounted on the frame by the battery blow the first year. Simple fix...new fuse for $5

** Make sure you silicone seal the shower enclosure. It seems they use cheap seal and had that go on me

Other than that, wife and kids use the trailer for 2 solid months in the summer during summer vacation and it is fantastic! Good people to deal with at KZ as well when I had a few questions

Good luck!
Bob
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0 V8
2013 KZ Sportsmen 280BH Show Stopper

campinia
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
GordonThree wrote:

The stamping / engraving on my KZ's frame says BAL RV PRODUCTS - this is on one of the main C channel box sections ... is that company part of Lippert?

Apparently you got one of the good ones.

I just went and looked at the frame on my 2015 KZ and it also says BAL Norco.
2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak
2018 Old Town Topwater 106 Fishing Kayak

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Spree265KS and love it. We've had no problems and feel it is good quality. The Spree is the on the upper end of their product line so you shouldn't be worried. Overall KZ has a good reputation.
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
We have a KZ sportsmen classic - their low end units - and we love it. It's been great. The spree is a step up from our unit, but very much the same.

JIM in NH

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in my fourth season with a KZ Spree E204S. Other than having a plumbing fixture break (drain from shower) during a round trip from NY to FL and a shorted developing in the running lights (wire near screw rubbed an worked through the insulation), both fixed under warranty, the unit has been very reliable. Our next TT is probably going to be the Connect 290.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a 2006 KZ Jag (not made any more) for almost 8 years, and had no major issues. It was a smaller unit (24') with no slides, and was an entry level TT. So nothing fancy, but it got the job done for what we needed. We upgraded in 2014 to get more interior space and more options.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
We love our KZ301 Bunkhouse. We have only had it for two seasons and bought it new in 2014. I have not even had any minor problems with the TT. We also have an outstanding dealer as well. I would definitely recomend a KZ TT to a friend or family member, also to someone I dont even know... we only wish we could use it more!
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

Southedistoman
Explorer
Explorer
The frame on my 2015 (Pre Thor by about two weeks) 329ik has an I beam frame. It has the name of a steel company and USA stamped into the I beam. It also has two 5200 lb axles and only a 9500lb GVW. That is my biggest gripe with mine, the lack of carrying capacity. All those nice cabinets and we have to be real picky about what we put in it. It should have a 10k lb GVW, IMO. Otherwise we are very with ours. Just over a year old and 6000 miles in ours.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

The stamping / engraving on my KZ's frame says BAL RV PRODUCTS - this is on one of the main C channel box sections ... is that company part of Lippert?

Apparently you got one of the good ones.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
TxTiger wrote:
I've had a KZ 27TH (Toy Hauler) for nearly 4 years. I have only had a couple of very minor, expected type of issues with it. It is not real fancy, but has all the necessary stuff. I find it comfortable and reliable, and it has held up really well. All the KZ's have Lippert frames, not sure if they are of the same construction mentioned above, but my welds all look good and the frame build quality looks really good also.

KZ has been awarded the DSI Award many times over the past several years. Good luck with your new purchase.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed