cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leveling my travel trailer

smsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I think we have decided to purchase a 2015 Flagstaff Super Lite, 27', that I will pull with my F150. Thanks for all the pros and cons on durability, quality construction, warranty issues.....it helped in my choice. NOW what is the best product out there to level this thing. We had a class A with self leveling jack which would lift the whole coach. I have seen Anderson leveling, what else is there. Thanks for the information.
17 REPLIES 17

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
smsmith wrote:
I think we have decided to purchase a 2015 Flagstaff Super Lite, 27', that I will pull with my F150. Thanks for all the pros and cons on durability, quality construction, warranty issues.....it helped in my choice. NOW what is the best product out there to level this thing. We had a class A with self leveling jack which would lift the whole coach. I have seen Anderson leveling, what else is there. Thanks for the information.

Bigfoot makes an auto leveling system for travel trailers, if you wanted to spend the money (about $1700).Had the Bigfoot 5th wheel system on our 5th wheel and loved it. Otherwise, I just bought 3 2"x6" boards cut to 60", 65" & 70" lengths (our current TT has wide set axles). Stackable, just drive the trailer up on them. I have never needed more than two so far. They completely support the tires on the low side, are not heavy, and cheaper than any plastic ramps, blocks, etc. I could have bought.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I'm thrifty ( kids say cheap ), so I made my own Andersen copies. Love em. Lots easier than figuring out which boards to use and now I don't have so many misc. boards in the bed.

I made my own also. I cut multiple shaped pieces from a 2X8 on a band saw and glued them together to get sufficient width. They work great! I made one mistake that I urge you not to repeat: I painted the levers, and the first time I used them they stuck to the tires. I literally had to hammer them off!

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thrifty ( kids say cheap ), so I made my own Andersen copies. Love em. Lots easier than figuring out which boards to use and now I don't have so many misc. boards in the bed.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
I use a pair of BAL light trailer levelers (my trailer has 2 axles). My trailer weighs about 5500 pounds and the BAL's raise it up no sweat. They easily get you right on the money and if the soil under the trailer compresses with use you just give the jacks a turn or two.

ashnic
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I bought a set of the Anderson levelers this year after having TT's for about 20 years. They are the greatest!

X2 very easy to use
2012 2500HD GMC Sierra
2011 Outback 295RE

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Whatever you decide on be sure they support the entire footprint of each tire. We use boards approx. 14 inches wide for that purpose. Easier to back onto also.

yep, the Leggos were too narrow for my motorhome tires, work OK on the smaller TT ones.
bumpy

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Level side to side with something under the low side tires. Level front to back with tongue jack. Then lower stabilizers. I have 20 plastic blocks. Many others use wood. They all work.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

stevec22
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at some of the reviews on Amazon. A few people claimed that theirs broke the first few times of use.

Has anyone had one break?
1998 Foretravel U320

2005 GMC Yukon 5.2L 3.42

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
I got a set of the Anderson levelers and I love them they are so easy to use, I have only been to one place I could not use them, other wise they work great.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember that stabilizer jacks on TTs are only meant to stabilize, not to level the trailer. They can cause damage to the floor if too much pressure is put on them.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you decide on be sure they support the entire footprint of each tire. We use boards approx. 14 inches wide for that purpose. Easier to back onto also.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I bought a set of the Anderson levelers this year after having TT's for about 20 years. They are the greatest!

X2,3 AND 4
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Anderson Levelers. Very easy to use and store. I put a bubble level on the front of the trailer for side to side leveling, so using the Andersons I can pretty much see when I am level and stop. Saves a lot of getting in and out of the vehicle and whatnot.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Flagstaff will include front and back stabilizers. For the tongue, it might include a power jack, my Rockwood did. If not, it will include a manual crank-up tongue jack.

For side to side, we use Lynx levelers. The side to side levelers are all you should have to buy in any case. The new Anderson leveler is very slick and worth a look too.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"