cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lock for truck camper frame mounted tie down

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Do they make locks for these frame mounts? The actual mounts not the tie downs and do I need to worry about locking these down while in storage, do these get stolen?

On a side note I do have the factory locks for the fast gun tie downs If I have to do it all over again I would just use standard pad locks as these seem very weak.

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Though noted your opinion of the Torklift locks they do also sell extended length ones for locking the tiedown arms into receivers

edit: noted different part numbers: similar to fastgun locks-
s9700 the lock barrel is at right angle instead of straight
http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/tiedowns/tie-down-locks

Welding tabs on arms/receivers you could use standard padlocks.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
I would be more worried about my wheels.

Yeah, as well as APU's and batteries, not to mention solar panels!!
My uncle just lost his batteries from a 5'er while in storage and others in the same lot lost wheels. This in a small storage lot on the edge of a rural residential area near O'Fallon, MO just a few weeks ago.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
You're not making any sense cart man.
If you leave the camper hooked up and the fast guns on and locked up, someone has to break the lock on those or the brackets aren't coming out.
Not saying that's hard to do and then can steal it all.
So do you take the fast guns off? Do you lock them in the camper? Or the truck? All are easy to break into so if your storage is that bad, then locking the torklift mounts up with a little lock that bolt cutters will cut won't help.

Either way, if you don't take them off the truck, bolt them on to prevent the opportunists who don't bring tools when they steal stuff. Otherwise, not much you can do to Fort Knox some little brackets without welding them on.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
cartmancartman wrote:
I think there is some misconception of what I am talking about. You have part of the frame mounts that are bolted on and then you have a part that slides in and out and is retained by a simple pin which your tie down bolts on to. My concern is should these slide outs be removed each time to do this? I need to go underneath the truck on 4 sides and remove them each time. I will most likely get padlocks for them as it seems theft is highly unlikely but a small possibility.
If I were that concerned, I would simply replace the with a 1/4" bolt and a self-locking nut. If that would not satisfy my concerns, I would have the extensions welded on.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
I think there is some misconception of what I am talking about. You have part of the frame mounts that are bolted on and then you have a part that slides in and out and is retained by a simple pin which your tie down bolts on to. My concern is should these slide outs be removed each time to do this? I need to go underneath the truck on 4 sides and remove them each time. I will most likely get padlocks for them as it seems theft is highly unlikely but a small possibility.

INn regards to the fastgun lock set, I have to disagree, a good hit with a hammer should be able to knock them loose. I highly doubt the crooks had the ability to break into your truck, hot wired it and werent unable to remove 4 small locks, that seems highly unlikely. They probably left it for some other reason, I can be wrong.

I ordered the locks online and was greatly underwhelmed when they arrived. I can probably saw through them in a minute with a hand saw. They need to build a lock which goes through the hole and surrounds the entire fastgun IMO.

Thanks for all the responses.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
MARKW8 wrote:
I think you might be worrying too much.

Mark
I agree.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

JoeVita
Explorer
Explorer
cartmancartman wrote:

On a side note I do have the factory locks for the fast gun tie downs If I have to do it all over again I would just use standard pad locks as these seem very weak.

Quite the contrary. The FastGun Locks are very strong. They fit in such a way that a bolt cutter cannot get to the shaft to sever it. Take if from me. My truck and camper were stolen. The thieves actually wanted the truck (F-350 DRW) to take it to Mexico where they are very desirable. They couldn't get the camper off because of the FastGun Locks so after stealing everything they could, they just abandoned it. Campers are relatively rare in Arizona and it would be obvious to the State Patrol and Border Patrol on the relatively long drive to the border so I guess they gave up.
06 Ford F-350 Crew Cab SB DRW 4x2 Diesel Automatic, Reese Class V hitch
05 Lance Max 881, Happijac Tiedowns, FastGuns with Locks, Struts,
Circle J two horse, slant load Horse Trailer
One Appendix Quarter Horse Gelding Dun Color

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
When we stored our older travel trailer, every thing that wasn't locked down was stolen. First thing was our license plates, our propane tanks would have been taken except I did have a good padlock on those. Our storage cabinets doors were always open flopping in the wind when we went to get it. Lucky we took our batteries with us when we left it. Did have the spare stolen and the little chrome hub caps that cover the lug nuts.
If you are worried about the tie downs lock them down or take them with you .

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I would be more worried about my wheels.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
The frame mounts are solidly BOLTED to the truck's chassis and not going anywhere. The removable parts should all be stuck inside the camper or locked up some other way and not left on the vehicle.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
all of my tiedowns,fastguns get locked in the camper.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
cartmancartman wrote:
Do they make locks for these frame mounts? The actual mounts not the tie downs and do I need to worry about locking these down while in storage, do these get stolen?

Thanks

I assume from your comment someone else installed your frame mounts? 🙂

Those things are not easy to get on or off. A thief would have to be pretty determined to remove them.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You're talking about the removable parts of the frame mount tie downs, right?

Why would you leave them lying around at the storage facility? Put them inside the camper, in a storage compartment or even inside the back door, and lock it. If people don't see them they are less likely to be stolen.

Back when scrap metal was high people were stealing anything made from steel and not tied down. Right now the price is way down and not worth the effort. So the odds of someone taking them are pretty small to begin with. They're pretty useless without the part that bolts permanently to the truck, so only someone stealing them to sell for scrap would take them.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
I just have cheap padlocks...not too worry about theft in our rv storage.
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife