cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Bed or Short Bed PU for towing a fifth wheel?

Bill_I
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready to purchase a 1 ton Dodge or GMC Denali PU to pull an overall length fifth wheel of 37 feet. Could we get some opinions on whether to go with a long bed PU (8 foot)or a short bed (6 1/2 foot). We are planning on being fulltime RVers for a couple of years.
31 REPLIES 31

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
45Ricochet wrote:
Not to mention the short wheel base trucks don't come with 6 wheels :W

???? You sure? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Full time = Big box :B
The longer wheel base will ride better, the non slider hitch will have less movement and you'll have more room for stuff. Not to mention the short wheel base trucks don't come with 6 wheels :W
Now if it was a DD or garage issue you'd have to decide, but full time means getting the right tool for living full time.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

therink
Explorer
Explorer
2011+ GM HD short beds have 36 gal fuel tanks
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
There is a difference between cabs also...Crew Cab and long bed makes for a LONG truck that is hard to park in a regular spot. Like trying to park on a city street between parking meters.

Now a long bed with a super cab is about the same length as a Crew Cab short bed (Ford).

People often leave out the CAB part of the equation. You need to look at overall length and wheel base. Especially if you park on a garage.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had two long bed standard cab trucks. For our 2015 RAM crew cab we went with the short bed and B&W manual slider. Filled the rest of the bed with boxes from old truck. Had to modify the front box.

Happy with setup.

I installed the factory pucks and use the Demco Hijacker 6099 picture frame with RVK3270 hitch.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Love our 8' bed. Have a 100 gallon aux diesel tank and still have room for firewood in front of the hitch. Also put our portable dump tank between the hitch and tailgate.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Going full time Long bed for capacity, the issues with long bed crew cabs are 90% perception, you learn to deal with with the size.
Long bed bigger fuel Tank, smoother ride more stable on the road.

Still personal choice.

One other thing, if you get a short bed, you need a slider hitch, or a very rounded noise.
One cost $$$, the other cost you closet space. We have a 5er with a full width hanging closet, and a full width flat floor.

Personally I would never buy a short bed, 26 gal tank, not 35 gal of a long bed 100 extra miles! After market tanks cost $1,000++.
Member just caught his cab, doing a forward tight turn with a SB, $2,500+ for repairs.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Short bed because it's also a daily driver. Super glide 18,000 hitch.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We chose a 6.5' bed for maneuverability both while hitched up and while working.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
It is simply a matter of preference, what suits you best. Pros and cons for both depending on how much towing, does it need to fit in a garage, is it a daily driver etc.
My short bed works great for me. I drive daily for work, and it fits nicely in my garage. Long bed wouldn't work for me. Plus you lose a couple hundred pounds of payload.
I have a slider hitch and have never (6 yrs) needed to use hitch in maneuver position.
If I was full time towing, I wouldn't need to worry abt garage and would have much more needed room in bed.
I also have a toolbox in front of bed and all fits no problem.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
duplicate post
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Tankcar
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. long bed will give you load cap. Just don't over do it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a 5er, but I've read a lot from the 5er forum. Seems one item to watch for with a short bed is the distance from the corner of the truck cab to the corner edge of the 5er so they do not hit. With a short bed, you may not be able to make a 90 degree.

However, there are those who successfully use a slider hitch with no problems with a short bed. So, I would think you should consider 2 options:

1: Long bed with a fixed 5er hitch
or
2: Short bed with a slider 5er hitch

Regardless of which set-up you get, you always have to watch the corner of your camper and the corner of your truck cab. With a TT, we always have to watch jack-knifing (regardless of long OR short bed), which can do a whole lot of ugly pain too.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Same answer as the one from your other post, in a different part of RV net...

Long bed ......
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going full time then absolutely the long bed. You get almost 4' of space between the cab and 5th hitch. A good place for a large aluminum box to store stuff in. Plus still have some extra room between it and the hitch. I have a LB and wouldn't want it any other way. No messing with sliders. Can't compare the ride between an SB and LB while towing but I did test drive an SB and LB before I bought my LB. Didn't notice any difference. You'll want a DRW anyway for that big of a 5th if you're full timing. I'm guessing you'll have it loaded to the gills and you'll need the payload capacity the DRW has.