cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Bed TV as a Daily Driver???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting a 5th wheel camper in the near future and will need a new truck to tow it. I am still debating over long bed or short. I see the advantages and disadvantages of both and am not biased one way or the other.

For me I think the biggest consideration is going to come down to use as a daily driver. I currently drive a Tundra. Moving to a Ford F-350 will mean the truck is going to be longer even with the short bed. Adding a longer bed will make it that much longer still.

I have never driven a long bed truck, but anticipate that it could be a PIA for maneuvering in a parking lot. But I am not sure especially now with all the backup and side view cameras. I also have read posts where people say its not any harder to drive than a short bed.

So while part of me says not to limit my capacity and go with the long bed, the other part of me is a bit leery of that decision because 95% of my driving will be as a daily driver. So I am not sure whether the extra capacity is worth any daily driving headaches...or are there really any more headaches for driving with the long bed.

thanks for your help

Matt
54 REPLIES 54

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My short bed truck has more payload capacity the the same model long bed and needs no special hitch with the newer model trailers and has the same cab size as the long bed model.
Its always amusing how some think their bed length is best.

I also have trucks with a 8' bed.....another with a 6" 4" bed and a 5' 10" bed and they all pull the same trailers.

Get the truck with the cab size and bed length....diesel or gazz.....2wd or 4wd.....ram or GM or Fordz....in the color of your choice you want. Works out best that way.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
dfletch wrote:
I have the longbed and the benefits of more room, higher cargo capacity, and no special hitch required for clearance of the 5th wheel outweigh any slight issues with it being a little longer than a shortbed. It is my daily driver.

Exactly what he said. I have owned both and I am 80 and have no problems towing or drivng when not towing
samsontdog:o:W

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 350 Ford long bed 4x4 is also a daily driver. Never an issue other than it takes 2 parking spaces. Don't care. Don't worry about inconsiderate drivers banging my sheet metal with their doors in parking lots either, their doors come up to about my running boards.

Only downside is no parking structures. It won't fit, clearance too low.

For me, a short bed truck is a useless item. Never have one.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Park in the outfield and walk, it's good for you.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Rent a long bed truck and drive it around for a week. Then rent a short bed truck a try it for a week.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I have never needed a long bed to pull a fifth wheel. A lot of newer fifth wheels have the front cap designed in a way that you have less worry hitting the truck. With my current short bed I have never hit my my truck and can get almost 90 degree turn without any issues. Now both have advantages, I like the short bed for my HD truck. On my 69 C10 it's a long bed but really is an easy truck to drive cause it's so short compared to even a short bed 4 door truck in today's world. I also have driven my parents long bed dodge diesel dually. It's a really great truck but I would not want to have it as a DD. But that's my opinion I don't care for the 4 door and long bed, even though it offers some more space.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your needs do not require a long bed. I have been towing several FWs, using 6'9" bed Ford trucks for going on 20 yrs. Fords axle center, to back of cab is about 41 inches. I've been using non-slider hitches with my Fords, and currently 1" ahead of axle center. With the newer contoured fronts on the FWs, a standard bed is a non-issue. Also most modern FWs have somewhat extended pin, adding extra clearance. You could hit the cab under the right circumstances, if you worked at it, even with a long bed. Just using common sense/awareness is required no matter what your towing, TT, boat, cargo trailer, or FW.

Just another thought...a long bed crew cab truck will require more space when maneuvering/backing a FW, due to the longer wheelbase. My SC with 142" wheel base helps for this, and is also a very stable platform while towing.

Jerry

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
get a little beat up 4 banger that get 30mpg for around town. and the tow truck that fits your rv.

dfletch
Explorer
Explorer
I have the longbed and the benefits of more room, higher cargo capacity, and no special hitch required for clearance of the 5th wheel outweigh any slight issues with it being a little longer than a shortbed. It is my daily driver.
David & Teresa
2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37 MBH
2017 Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4X4 Crewcab longbed dully

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Long bed vs short bed, the question you REALLY need to ask yourself first is, what do I do with this truck when NOT towing? Do you have a real genuine NEED for the long bed if NOT towing? If so, then get the long bed. If you cannot find a true, justifiable reason you would consistently use the log bed for, then you have your answer... short bed.