cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a better ride on the truck…

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many here may know that I sold my camper some 3 years or so ago. I had it all set up to haul and carry that weight. Now that it is used occasionally, sans the camper, I am noticing how rough it rides and want to do something about that.

First thing was to drop the air pressure down to unloaded specifications. I am even thinking of taking off the Rancho 9000’s and going to a more stock type shock absorber. I may go to a different tire, but these still have quite a bit of tread left and will consider a change on the next set.

But I think my best bet is to try to simulate what more comfortable riding trucks use for components. I think I might try swapping out the stock 1-ton rear leaf springs to 1/2 ton springs. I am sure a local spring shop could do this but not sure if the ride will be too soft.

I know everyone wants to “up” their truck to carry weight safely… since I do not have the camper, I want to do the reverse. I thought about going to half ton wheels but feel the swap to accommodate 5-lug wheels is too much work.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
All good!
Happy Easter!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
d3500ram wrote:
Agreed, but swapping 3500 springs for 1500 leafs... come on...LOL

(psst, between you and me we won't let anyone know you got pranked...;)

Not to mention wanting to swap to 5 lug wheels.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
d3500ram wrote:

I agree that it wasn’t actually that ridiculous considering there are F150s that carry 2000lbs.

So, we won’t tell anyone your attempt was a little flat. 😉 At least you tried.

The worst one I saw today was on a different site.

It simply said, “what is the best oil for a L2501”. When I opened the topic, it said April Fools Day. I actually like well thought out topics, but seriously, that guys line showed no attempt to fool with a great story.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Tough part here is, there are multiple posts or questions a day that aren’t April fools jokes that are equally as ridiculous.

True that!
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see anything odd about trying to get a good ride for an old truck. As far as I am concerned the attempt at an April Fools joke fell really flat.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tough part here is, there are multiple posts or questions a day that aren’t April fools jokes that are equally as ridiculous.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I got suckered!!
Good one!

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
:B

Had you not picked up on it, my next bit of info was going ask about changing a 1-ton bed to a half-ton bed... that's a 1,000 pound difference and it would have to make for a better ride!

....thanks to folks for being good sports!
😉

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
April Fools!

BTW you could just use wheel spacers to go from 8 lug to 5 lug.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sulastic hangers did make noticeable difference on my dually.
It was still "truck ride" when empty, but I no longer panicked seeing street cover.
I was concern about the life expectancy, but coming to 4th year, they still look good.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
d3500ram wrote:

But I think my best bet is to try to simulate what more comfortable riding trucks use for components. I think I might try swapping out the stock 1-ton rear leaf springs to 1/2 ton springs. I am sure a local spring shop could do this but not sure if the ride will be too soft.

I know everyone wants to “up” their truck to carry weight safely… since I do not have the camper, I want to do the reverse. I thought about going to half ton wheels but feel the swap to accommodate 5-lug wheels is too much work.

If you think these 2 mods are even remotely feasible things to do, then you should re-consider your plans and be suspect of any "good" modification ideas you may come up with, going forward.
Drop tire pressures to the min for weight. If you can't stand the suspension, off road fab shops like Carli and Thuren have very compliant spring packages. sky's the limit, or more accurately, your wallet is the limit.

BTW are you saying you haven't dropped tire pressure from presumably more than you need? That's like a 5 minute exercise and free.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems you are trying to modify a 2005 truck. The ride on many older HD pickups was pretty rough. Newer trucks like my 2010 or my 2018 Ram are built for comfort and if anything have rides that are too soft. My sole modification on my current truck is the addition of Timbrens which are not engaged except when carrying a heavy load.

For your old truck you already have the best modification, adjustable Rancho shocks. Dial the rear shocks down when not carrying a heavy load. You can tinker with tires and tire pressure but I doubt that will make much difference.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they make Sulastic springs for your truck, try that. Lower the tire pressure even more. You probably can go down to 35-40 in the rear. Also, adjust the Ranchos down. I use to ride 1 in rear and 3 in front on my SRW.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member