cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to get into Rv'ing but have questions.

BragaPulls
Explorer
Explorer
Spouse and I would like to start RV'ing but we are both a little timid with how to get into it. We have been to a couple of RV shows and have a local dealer here who seems really straightforward to deal with. BUT, I have a few questions.

1. We have a Toyota Tundra 4.6L V8, specs are it tows 6800 pounds, we are looking at a Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106FBS which is around 3700 pounds. I am pretty sure this is going to be no problem?

2. Is the Micro Minnie 2106FBS a good buy? Is it a good buy for around 25000 dollars. This is walk out the door price including brake kit, stabilizer bars and everything else.

3. This model kind of fits our needs and what we are looking for but is there anything else we might look at, brand wise?

4. IS there a good website or FAQ here which I might investigate for more info?

5. Just in general, is there anything you wish you had known about RV'ing before you got into it, that you could relate. Impart your rv'ing wisdoms please! 😄

Thanks much in advance,

BragaPulls
38 REPLIES 38

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jetta03 wrote:
You might want to confirm the weight of that trailer. Winnebago shows that one to have a gvwr of 7000lb which is over your tow rating. The dry weight of 3700lb is a fictional number based on the empty trailer with no options, you will likely find yourself much closer to the gvwr.

Let's be realistic - the OP would at most see this particular model's GVW, loaded and ready to camp, land somewhere in the 4700 to 5000 lb range (just as I previously detailed) and nowhere near it's GVWR of 7000 lbs. This is a classic example of why it's a poor idea to rely solely on any rig's published GVWR to determine if the vehicle in question can safely tow it.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
You'll be surprised how much your current truck works pulling #4k.

Sure, 4000 lbs loaded and ready to camp ... but this Winnebago model the OP is interested in won't weigh anywhere near just 4000 lbs ready to camp but closer to 5000 lbs. It ALL counts. 😉

Jetta03
Explorer
Explorer
BragaPulls wrote:
Spouse and I would like to start RV'ing but we are both a little timid with how to get into it. We have been to a couple of RV shows and have a local dealer here who seems really straightforward to deal with. BUT, I have a few questions.

1. We have a Toyota Tundra 4.6L V8, specs are it tows 6800 pounds, we are looking at a Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106FBS which is around 3700 pounds. I am pretty sure this is going to be no problem?

2. Is the Micro Minnie 2106FBS a good buy? Is it a good buy for around 25000 dollars. This is walk out the door price including brake kit, stabilizer bars and everything else.

3. This model kind of fits our needs and what we are looking for but is there anything else we might look at, brand wise?

4. IS there a good website or FAQ here which I might investigate for more info?

5. Just in general, is there anything you wish you had known about RV'ing before you got into it, that you could relate. Impart your rv'ing wisdoms please! 😄

Thanks much in advance,

BragaPulls

You might want to confirm the weight of that trailer. Winnebago shows that one to have a gvwr of 7000lb which is over your tow rating. The dry weight of 3700lb is a fictional number based on the empty trailer with no options, you will likely find yourself much closer to the gvwr.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
A few quick thoughts.

1. We bought new, used it for 2 years and 100 nights. Lost $1500. Well worth the loss. Take good care of it. Covered storage. It will sell well.

2. You'll be surprised how much your current truck works pulling #4k.

We bought new the second time. It hit all our 'want list' from our experience with the first. I bet we use this one 12-15 years. When the kids move out we will Change to our retirement unit!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
A little further thought on the new vs used idea. After hanging out on various RV forums before I bought this camper, it became clear that a lot of folks really do end up trading campers once or twice before getting the "one they want". I decided I wanted to buy new rather than used, so it was important to me to get it right the first time. I spent 18 months shopping, studying, researching. By really looking carefully, and coming to an understanding of "what will work for me", I was able to get the one I wanted, first purchase.
So, it can be done, but it requires patience and avoiding an impulse buy.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
If money is no object, buying new gets you that bright shiny experience and some warranty coverage. Money is somewhat of an object for most of us so buying used saves a lot, plus someone else has wring out the initial bugs all trailers have.

We have purchased 2 new (TT and pop-up) and 2 used (TT and 5er). The last two have been the used ones and we've been happiest with them. Purchasing used allowed us to buy higher quality units AND save money. You need some experience, or someone that has some to make sure you get a used one in good shape. Be wary of dealers, although not all are bad.

You'll find it's better to have an overmatched TV, especially if you're not used to hauling a big trailer. I still remember the white knuckle experience the first time I pulled, fortunately this goes away quickly with experience...even quicker if your TV is over capable. I love pulling now, more than driving without a tail behind me.

Read this forum a lot, need to filter some of the advice but you'll learn a lot!

Interior layout preference will develop as you gain more experience, hence the advice to be prepared to buy a couple units over the first few years until you know what you really want.

Like most that try it, I suspect you'll love it and be sucked into the vortex...many buy a truck, then a trailer that's a little large for the TV resulting in a new truck, then a new trailer because TV can handle more, then a new truck, then...

Keen an open mind, you'll learn a lot and have a great time.
Good luck!
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BragaPulls wrote:

With an advertised factory base weight of 3705 lbs the Micro Minnie 2106FBS's stickered weight as it arrives at the dealer is likely to be several hundred pounds more, just as my own trailer's was 280 lbs heavier. Add to that a battery, propane in the tanks, water heater tank filled and some reserve in the fresh water holding tank this Minnie's weight could easily hit 4200 lbs before adding any of your personal gear ... once loaded and ready to camp it's GVW could easily top 4700 to 5000 lbs, with an average gross tongue weight of 650 to 700 lbs. My own Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS has a factory base weight of 3535 lbs but it's actual stickerd weight is 280 lbs more at 3815 lbs, to which I then have to add the weight of a battery, propane in the tanks, a full water heater tank, and some reserve in the fresh water holding tank, all of which has my trailer's GVW loaded and ready to camp at around 4500 lbs, sometimes more depending on how full the tanks are. This puts me several hundreds pounds lighter than this Winnebago yet mine is an 8' wide trailer whereas this Micro Minnie is just 7' ... are you sure you want a travel trailer that narrow, even though it does have a shallow sofa slide? Grey and black tanks, each just 25 gals, are a bit on the small side as well.

FWIW, I tow with a 5.3L Avalanche with a so-called trailer tow rating of 7300 lbs and even at just 4500 lbs loaded the trailer's average gross tongue weight of ~ 600 lbs is about as much as the truck can handle without exceeding it's payload capacity once I also account for the weight of ourselves, our dog, and any cargo I may carry in the truck. Your truck as rated may tow this trailer but you too will certainly have to be cautious to not exceed the truck's payload capacity.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You've gotten some good advice here. While you are right that the rig you are looking at should be no problem towing with the truck you have with which to drag it, buying used first is a good idea, especially since the price is so high. Gold plated it must be, but only sheer coincidence would make it the perfect rig for you. Folks are right, you need a little experience under your belt to teach you the proper questions to ask in order to find that perfect rig. Renting a couple different RVs and spending a year or two with a used one will bring up issues you can't imagine, and make plain which ones really matter. And those are different for everybody; we can't tell you what yours will be.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I did some quick searching on the Internet for your make and model to see what other dealers are selling for.

Other dealers are selling between $19,500 and $20,500 ish.

And the cost for the Weight Distribution bars, wiring, and brake controller, your $25,000 might not be so bad.

Winebago is a good brand. They've been around forever, in their recent history they launched into travel trailers. But I've never heard anything negative about their trailers, so they must be OK.

About "camping".

As others (above) have pointed out, you may find yourself absolutely enjoying the RV lifestyle, or end up hating it completely.

I for one, WILL NOT TELL YOU to go get a used camper. All our camper purchases have been new. After a life time of used car ownership and all the problems that went with used cars, when it came time for our first pop-up, we wanted new!

If you want to go "new", don't let anyone sway you into getting used. There's a trade off between new and used.

RV's loose their value very fast. You may pay $20,000 for a brand new unit, but as soon as you sign the line, the value has now dropped 1/3 if you try to sell it, and having never traveled with it a single mile yet!

New RV's will have initial problems. They all do. Sometimes getting a dealer to honor warranty work is a hassle that's relentless. Getting used, the camper is past all the initial warranty fix up problems. But the problem with used, is, you just never know how things "REALLY" are until you actually own it. Inspect away, but things can still be hidden you weren't aware of, maybe a cracked frame, roof leak, or something hidden you won't find out about until you are on the edge of the road trying to flag down a tow truck. There are risks with used. For this reason, I'll accept the rapid depreciation of a new unit over the questionable probability I may end up spending more than the value of depreciation in the long run fixing a faulty used trailer. With a new trailer, you know it's history.

Now, if you have full intentions of selling your camper in a short while (like less than a year), used is by for the way to go. But for longevity, new is the way to go.

About camping itself. Most on these forums worked their way into RV-ing and even full timing slowly. Most started tent camping, or even camping as Boy Scouts, or a Youth Group of some sort. But tent camping navigated to the purchase of their first pop-up, because somewhere along the line, they realized sleeping on the ground is just too "hard".

And from there, the progression starts. Some will next move to a hybrid, so they can keep the "tent" feeling, others will make the jump to a hard sided trailer or a 5er. From there, to a Motor Home of some sort.

Most of these forum members have been through these stages and camping, the RV life style has been a growing, learning, love-it or leave-it, way of life. Most on these forums love-it and can't get enough of it. But it's not always as glamorous as the "Go RVing" commercials make it appear. It can be a difficult experience if repairs are needed and money is short. There's nothing glamorous about dumping the black tank. There's nothing glamorous about having high expectations and then end up parked beside some really horrible camping neighbors. And the list can go on and one. These things can get some folks extremely discouraged, VERY fast if they've never "grown" into it and learned how to deal with it. Rude, noisy, horrible camping neighbors can absolutely ruin a wonderfully planned vacation that was suppose to be a romantic and peaceful experience! Such disappointment! And if this happens a couple or 3 times in a row to someone new, and especially if it happens the first or second "outing" it can cause a new RV owner a LOT of discouragement, and they are prone to give up camping very quick.

So now you've made a hefty investment into your camper and you decide camping is no longer for you. You will never get your money back out of the a new camper. Never! That is why so many on these forums say to buy used. So if you figure it out, this lifestyle is not for you, you're not loosing so much in your investment.

Another thing. Almost everyone on these forums will pretty much agree, it takes 3 RV purchases to finally get the one that you really wanted. So, usually, first time RVers trade camper within 2-3 years after their first purchase.

Still.... I'm one of those folks that still buy new. I DO understand the depreciation concept, and it's the price I AM willing to pay. I simply do not want to purchase used. The whole thought of used is just creepy to me!

BragaPulls
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thanks all for the input!

It's just us two and a couple of dogs so no kids. We have done tent camping, long ago before certain issues forced us to settle for a while. Now we are hoping to get back into it.

The specs on the vehicle said it has a tow package. Specifically the metal bar that attaches to the truck frame which holds the hitch.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you rent a trailer .
Make sure your Tundra has a tow package. I know you said the specs say 6800 lbs. but does that apply to your truck on the build sheet.
The reason I ask is because some vehicles ( like a Chev Traverse ) have a 2x2 receiver (hitch) and tow only 2000 lbs. The exact same vehicle with a tow package can tow 5200 lbs.

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Rent one, rent one, rent one; you will learn more in a week or ten days then all the opinions form the board.

You are talking big bucks and pulling one of these barns down the road has to be experience to know what it is like.

Also you are purchasing and ongoing project that you do not use then put way like a canoe. There is a fair amout of maintenance and up keep.

Travel is typically 250 miles a day, 60 mph and 10 mpg.

All of this is just rhetoric until you have experienced it.

This post nails it! DW and I love it. Youngest son and his wife don't like the journey. Too slow, too many stops, etc... They often drive their luxury sports car and meet up with us. YS can tow but finds it boring. Older son, wife, and two kids love the journey! OS loves to tow. After we unhitch and set up they go stay in a rental house, cabin, efficiency, whatever's nearby. They don't like staying in the TT even if they have it to themselves. Oldest son has autism. Needs his routines. Hates all of it and wants to walk home from wherever we stop... As we pull away from his house he says, "okay, home now! Where we goin?, okay, home now!" He will repeat the same sentence over and over again for hours. As soon as we stop he gets out of the van and says, "okay, bye now. I'm walkin." And will walk in the direction from where we came. As a child we could convince him that wherever we were was home. As an adult he wants his house and his house only. Point is, it's not for everyone and testing it out before dumping a bunch of money into it is a good idea.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you're new to it, rent and then buy used. A lot of people don't get to the rig they like until the third one. If you buy new, that's a lot of depreciation to waste.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Rent one, rent one, rent one; you will learn more in a week or ten days then all the opinions form the board.

You are talking big bucks and pulling one of these barns down the road has to be experience to know what it is like.

Also you are purchasing and ongoing project that you do not use then put way like a canoe. There is a fair amout of maintenance and up keep.

Travel is typically 250 miles a day, 60 mph and 10 mpg.

All of this is just rhetoric until you have experienced it.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
What I wish I knew before my first TT purchase:

1. What to look for. Signs of delamination, manual jack, how well (or not) the appliances worked, etc.
2. Weight distribution hitches. The dealer was going to let me buy a simple receiver and ball from WalMart.
3. Never trust the dealer. Do your homework. (You are! Yay!)
4. How much of a pain it is to take down and put up the dinette every day. Now we have a bunkhouse.
5. How easy it was to put a backup/rear view camera on the TT. Makes backing into spots and seeing traffic behind you so much easier.
6. How much manual awnings can decimate your will to live. Well, you realize how bad it was WHEN you get an electric one.
7. That I needed a TV with a larger wheelbase and that not having it would scare me silly on every tow, and vastly limit how far I was willing to tow the TT.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M