cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lots of used Canadian trucks on the local Ford lots

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
We've been browsing the local car lots looking for a used truck to replace the Dodge. Saturday and Sunday we looked at two different Ford lots in two different towns. Each has some 2014-2015 white F250 and F350 gas trucks with low miles. I did a car fax on the first one and it was from Canada (Fort McMurray, AB). I thought that was odd so I looked at the others and they are all from the same area. Why would a dealer in Southern Indiana be buying truck from Canada to sell here ?
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL
64 REPLIES 64

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
shepstone wrote:
I believe there is a difference if you buy new or used with waranty remaining. So if you bought the vehicle new of the lot in the US then took it into Canada or vise versa there wouldnt be a warranty , but if the vehicle was bought as a used vehicle that is still under warranty then it is valid. And it is also different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Thay each have thier own policies.

I think we/they are talking about two different things. A Canada vehicle registered to a Canada resident can get warranty work done in the States and vise versa. The issue would be if a U.S. resident went to Canada and purchased a vehicle and then registered it in the USA. The window sticker from the Canada truck I purchased that was imported back to the US clearly states "this vehicle not intended for sale or registration in US". That could be the sticking point where warranty issues come into play.

I will only speak regarding Ford but their warranty is transferable regardless which side of the border the vehicle goes to or resides in. It's under warranty here, it's under warranty there regardless of new or used. If there is a balance of factory warranty you get it.

Probably true. I know all the literature I have make it clear or at least very strongly suggest that the truck I purchased should not be titled/registered in the USA. But I have had zero issues with dealers or getting work done if I needed it with respect to tsb's or warranty.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
shepstone wrote:
I believe there is a difference if you buy new or used with waranty remaining. So if you bought the vehicle new of the lot in the US then took it into Canada or vise versa there wouldnt be a warranty , but if the vehicle was bought as a used vehicle that is still under warranty then it is valid. And it is also different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Thay each have thier own policies.

I think we/they are talking about two different things. A Canada vehicle registered to a Canada resident can get warranty work done in the States and vise versa. The issue would be if a U.S. resident went to Canada and purchased a vehicle and then registered it in the USA. The window sticker from the Canada truck I purchased that was imported back to the US clearly states "this vehicle not intended for sale or registration in US". That could be the sticking point where warranty issues come into play.

I will only speak regarding Ford but their warranty is transferable regardless which side of the border the vehicle goes to or resides in. It's under warranty here, it's under warranty there regardless of new or used. If there is a balance of factory warranty you get it.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
peiscooter wrote:
Interesting.....anybody in the US Northeast interested in my 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport????????????

Sorry fellow Islander but this topic is about trucks, real trucks!!

๐Ÿ˜‰ Just kidding. Didn't realize there were other members on here from PEI.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

peiscooter
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting.....anybody in the US Northeast interested in my 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport????????????
Cheers

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the used auto industry and yes every truck at auction is from Canada
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
brulaz wrote:
me2 wrote:
"The US dealers don't honor the Canadian warranty and vica-versa."

Not true at all. They honor the warranty both ways. A Ford truck is a Ford truck. If it is sold in the other country, they service it and warranty it wherever it is.

Maybe you should look into it more. Here's an article explaining it.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-05-05-canadacars_x.htm

The article is old, but the exchange rate situation today is the same, making Canadian cars a lot cheaper.

Your right it's old and does not apply. Factory warranties are good on either side of the fence. Says so in my manuals.

Well, perhaps they've changed their policies since then.

But I would still be cautious and verify that any warranty will be honoured by a local dealer when bringing a vehicle across the border in either direction.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
me2 wrote:

Not true at all. They honor the warranty both ways. A Ford truck is a Ford truck. If it is sold in the other country, they service it and warranty it wherever it is.

The article is old, but the exchange rate situation today is the same, making Canadian cars a lot cheaper.

Your right it's old and does not apply. Factory warranties are good on either side of the fence. Says so in my manuals.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
me2 wrote:

2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

me2
Explorer
Explorer

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
Colo Native wrote:
Have few here in Colorado and all have very rusty under carriage, from what I was reading Canada uses a lot of salt.

Not the case in the Western Provinces, to cold for salt, they mostly use sand. Quebec and Ontario are the areas that use a LOT of salt, especially in urban areas.

And down East too , I got less than 5 yrs out of my last Dodge before rust killed it to the point the tailgate literally fell of on the highway, and the cab separated from the floor.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
Have few here in Colorado and all have very rusty under carriage, from what I was reading Canada uses a lot of salt.

Not the case in the Western Provinces, to cold for salt, they mostly use sand. Quebec and Ontario are the areas that use a LOT of salt, especially in urban areas.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4ord wrote:
I bought my 2011 new in the USA and imported into Canada. Now 5 years later I am trying to sell it up here and can't get anyone to pay me a penny more than what a broker is offering me who will ship it back to the US. I really don't understand it; there is hardly any used diesel trucks on the market up here and yet we can still get more for our used vehicles wholesaling them out and shipping them south. It kind of offends me some because to a wholesaler my truck is just another 2011 Ford yet the thing still looks like new and has absolutely every option available on it. But, I will end up getting a very similar price for my truck as my friend got for his abused 2011 Lariat.

That's because your economy is in the chitter!
Welcome to 2008 in the US! I bought the truck in my sig with 10kmi on it for $30k with a buncha extras on it already. I could sell it today for $25k plus, but when I sold my cherry Dmax in 2009, I only got $17k for it.
Trying hard to find a new used diesel right now in Vancouver area to make me feel better about my shrinking money in Canada right now!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mote wrote:
OP here,
Thanks for all the feedback. If I'm looking at the truck with 25k miles. What would be normal for engine hours ?

500-800 hrs is normal.
By way of comparison, my oilfield truck had 800hrs and about 1400mi when I turned it in and it was on the low end of the scale cause I was a boss and not in the field 12hr/day.
Upper end was trucks with 3000mi and close to 4000hrs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold