cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making my own tiedowns How to

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
This is the second set of tie down I made so I thought I would snap some pictures and tell how I did it. You will need some fabrication tools. Metal chop saw, grinder, and welder were the tools I used.

I started with what I had laying around.
Square tubing
Angle Iron
Flat metal
black pipe large enough for 3/8โ€ #8 bolts to slide thru
Chain

The finished installed tiedowns do not extend past my tires.

I only have the finished pic of the rear tiedowns. They slid into the ends of my existing reciever on the truck. I drilled a hole through the reciever and the tiedowns and put a long 1/4x20 #8 bolt thru so the tiedowns do not slid out. You could use some type of pin if you would like to make it easy to remove. I leave mind on all the time. They do not rattle and act as a nice step to get up in the bed of the truck.

As you can see, I cut one end at an angle where the end tiedown plate is. This makes them parallel with the side on the truck.

Now you will have to take some measurements of how high you frame is, how far out you need to reach from your frame to be able to attach your turn buckle system.
I made the angle iron taller than the side of my frame so that I could attach the fastener that wrap around the frame.

I then attached the length of pipe that extends out from under the truck. You measurement will vary.

A brace is needed, I used a small piece of angle iron.

And put on the end plate that you will attach your turn buckle system to.

Now I did not want to drill through my frame. Plus the fuel tank was in the way on the drivers side. So I made these hooks to wrap around the frame and fasten the tiedowns with a #8 bolt.

This is how I made themโ€ฆ
I cut a chain link and half and welded the two pieces to a piece of black pipe. I made sure the โ€œhookโ€ opening was large enough to allow the frame to slid in.

This pic shows a scrap piece of metal that is the same thickness of my frame. I used it to make sure I had enough gap in the hook.
I welded the chain link onto the black pipe and then cut the pipe to the proper length.

Here is a picture of the hooks wrapped around the inside of my frame with a #8 bolt going thru them and attached to the tie down. There is a hook on each corner of the tiedown attaching it to the truck frame.

Picture of the tiedown mounted to the frame. On the driver side, I did disconnect the emergency brake cable and re-route it thru the tiedown.

This is a picture of the back side of the frame with the hooks coming around it.

Picture of the tiedown coming out from under the truck. Everything was primed and painted.

Every year I hit them with a rattle can of black spay paint to keep them looking fresh. I guess you could take them somewhere to have them powder coated if you want to spend the bucks.

For the comments below, I used to have these pics on photobucket, until greed took them over. They are now hosted on imgur. If the pics are still missing, let me know and I may be able to get you a link to a google doc.

I hope you enjoyed this write up. I also have write ups on how to add a bypass filter for a F250 super duty to keep the oil cleaner longer LINK HERE.
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD
30 REPLIES 30

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made my own rear tie downs too, theyโ€™re very similar.
7โ€ of 2โ€ square tube welded to the ends of my hitch which is also part of the Kelderman Air Ride kit, which makes it impossible to use store-bought tiedowns. Plus, this cost a whole lot less and I think itโ€™s a little better.
A couple 18โ€ long pieces of smaller square tube form the inserts and I drilled holes for a cotter pin and an eye bolt.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Workarounds only work if albums still exist..
I used https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fixer/?src=api for firefox- however no longer needed.

Thanks for the effort Ben!
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
OK, updated! I hope the ones asking for the pictures come back to see it.

Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Last time i did this I copied everything to a word document, edited it, and then pasted it all back to the forum. I'll get to work.
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
For editing existing multiple photos-lot easier when the file names are kept (which Imgur doesnt). If using imgur (account) you could add the original file name in the comments section, then when hovering over pic in album it will display file name. A 'little' easier than comparing pictures or uploading one at a time and copying links. Still if that sites closes or changes policy-without original file name you'll have no idea what photo was posted to replace...

The Imgur hosted 'RV.net' link is great for one off photos-

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
MN Ben wrote:
Hi guys, I have the photos on my computer. I see I can edit my original post so I will go in there and fix it as much as possible.

I have done this on other forums using imgur but I really dont have the hang of imgur so it has been quite difficult for me. But I will see if I can get the pics up with in the week.

Ben

Just use the forum supported photo posting site I linked to above. Upload your pics to the box and copy and paste the url it creates. It also resizes the pics to 640X400 which is the forum standard and makes the thread easier to read.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I have the photos on my computer. I see I can edit my original post so I will go in there and fix it as much as possible.

I have done this on other forums using imgur but I really dont have the hang of imgur so it has been quite difficult for me. But I will see if I can get the pics up with in the week.

Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Unfortunately when photobucket tried to extort $400 from members with free accounts, many simply deleted their albums. Photobucket has since reversed its position- reinstating picture viewing-at least for a while. However those that deleted their albums and its contents-those pics are gone forever (unless re-linked with new url).

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Use this link for posting photos.

Click
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
You can thank Photosuckit for that.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I don't see them either.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
pics are gone???

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work there.
Cal

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Wicked clever! Love the idea of the rear mounts! Wish I had thought of it!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT