cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Many Questions?

Fishndog
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to all. I plan to buy a used tt from 8k - 14k cash, and live in it with a 150+ lb. dog.I might have an occasional guest or two for an overnight fishing trip.I might purchase a lot , or rent. I need to park truck, tt, 25' boat, and car full time. I will not be traveling much (maybe none) but it will be nice to be able to.
There are so many makes, year, models, floor plans, lengths,ect. It is overwhelming.I plan to work on /near the water. I want to see how it works out before a more permanent commitment, or it may be permanent.
Any advice would be helpful!
My tow vehical is a hd 3/4 ton with 600+ hp, and 700ish lbs. of torque.It has a new fuel injected 525ci motor, manual 5,speed which is more than enough for whatever.
Thanks!
30 REPLIES 30

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
trailer-image-cartoon by 93Cobra#2771, on Flickr

**Note - I do agree with the previous cartoon, as a camper dealer will tell you anything. 🙂
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
HuckFinn410 wrote:
You keyboard curmudgeons should be ashamed of yourselves. This is the first time that I have chimed in with my thoughts on the boorish behavior by some of the old guard on this site. It's pathetic.

The OP wasn't asking for your nearsighted uninformed opinions on his truck. Don't answer a question that wasn't asked. Oh, and by the way, the OP specifically said that he wouldn't be traveling much if at all.

It's very possible that his built up F250 could be much stronger than your 97 3500 Dodge. How would you know? Why would you even bother to make judgment. Some of you act like Persnickety keyboard wielding old ladies! I think you need some more fresh air.

Old Grumps!

Just my $.02

So much win with this post. 🙂
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
HuckFinn410 wrote:
You keyboard curmudgeons should be ashamed of yourselves. This is the first time that I have chimed in with my thoughts on the boorish behavior by some of the old guard on this site. It's pathetic.

The OP wasn't asking for your nearsighted uninformed opinions on his truck. Don't answer a question that wasn't asked. Oh, and by the way, the OP specifically said that he wouldn't be traveling much if at all.

It's very possible that his built up F250 could be much stronger than your 97 3500 Dodge. How would you know? Why would you even bother to make judgment. Some of you act like Persnickety keyboard wielding old ladies! I think you need some more fresh air.

Old Grumps!

Just my $.02

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Anyway Fishndog - I wish you all the best.
Times fun when you're having flies!

HuckFinn410
Explorer
Explorer

Old Grumps!

Just my $.02
Homesick for a place that I've never been

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it civil folks.

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to look at some travel trailers, different sizes, figure out how much space you need to live in. I'm alone, 29-foot motorhome has plenty of space for me, that is equivalent in floor space to 24-26 foot travel trailer. It was plenty big enough for two of us and could accommodate 6 people easily for a few days. A guy and his dog, even easier than two people, dogs don't get into that "I need my own space" mood that gets in the way of two people in a small space.

I'm expecting you won't be looking at anything over 28 feet, that's where the floor plans start making accommodations for even more people, such as bunkhouses for the kids. Even with the heaviest conventional construction a TT this size is well within the capacity of your tow vehicle.

Shopping new, I'd be looking at conventional construction from Northwood (Nash and Arctic Fox brands) or molded plastic trailers from Bigfoot or Oliver, but those are beyond your budget. Reason, however, is construction for four-season or at least three-season use.

You'll more likely be shopping used, then condition matters more than brand, you'll just want to stay away from lightweight construction (which gets there by thinner walls, ceilings, floors, lighter materials to build furnishings, lighter frames,,etc).

Biggest issue for what you want to do, where you want to do it, is finding a place that you can do it. You'll likely need full hookups, winter-proof water supply, and if staying through the cold seasons, a large propane tank with delivery service. Also, not always easy to find a place open year round and letting you stay indefinitely, as housing codes in developed areas often try to separate recreational housing (short term) from manufactured housing communities (we used to call them trailer parks) . Most places I've been in the middle of the country I've been able to find RV parks with long term stays (a lot of temporary work projects run a few months to several years), but noted on the news today a local RV park that had evolved to trailer park was shut down by county health and everybody thrown out.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep.......OP has spent some $$ and has a great stump pulling high HP/Torque motor.
Great!

Problem is truck is an OLDER F250..OP has had it a LONG time.

So issue is what year F250?

Then real information about trailers etc can be posted cause it isn't about whether that big block can tow it is about can that OLD F250 tow as in : Payload capacity, GAWRs, etc.

Towing isn't about HP/Torque. It's about vehicles ability to 'carry' the pin/tongue weight and tow it also.

I have a 2007 3500 Quad Cab auto/4:10 with 5.9L CTD that only has 325HP/610T
and tows a 14K 5th wheel........which is more trailer then your F250 can tow.
See it isn't HP/Torque.

So OP.....
What year F250?
What Cab configuration?
What tranny/rear end?
Basically what truck do you have?

Post that info and get better responses.....OK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can pull almost any TT with almost any TV. Only you can decide if you like the combination.

If you are not exceeding the axle rating of the TV or rating of the hitch then the suitability is basically up to you.

You should know that TTs are expensive, loose their value quickly, require a fair bit of upkeep and require a certain mindset for full time occupancy.

Like the tow vehicle, the TT has to meet your needs and pocket book.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra wrote:
I like the sound of the big inch ford. Apparently some of the members here haven't dealt much with big cubic inch motors. Just because it's big cubic inch, doesn't mean it can't pull. That motor likely makes more power at 2000rpm than the rest of us do at peak power.

Yeah ...lots of not so nice comments posted here dissing the OP and his old 460 big block mods.
Anyways.... not all four seasons packages are the same from brand to brand. Our last 5er had a four season option. LOL..all it amounted to was a 5 sided plastic shroud around the black and grey tanks under the trailer and R7 insulaton in the walls/floor and roof.
Do your home work on a actual artic pack.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Outdoors RV, Nash, Arctic fox. They are true 4 season trailers. better built and much better insulation. There are a few other 4 season trailers as well.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Fishndog wrote:
Thanks for all the great info.I have had my truck for along time. I put over 500k on it 10 years ago. It came with a 460,5th wheel z5 dana 60. Once the motor went I decided to rebuild. My builder talked me into a stroker. I find one of the most dangerous road hazards is merging off of exits - especially up hill. All that torque makes it more comfortable; gets you right up to speed. It also has that muscle car feel which is fun. It has a Probe racing 521 kit, and is .0040 over bore.
As far as the cold goes - it is my favorite weather, and my big black mastiff loves it. Maybe he can help keep me warm, but he is not the snuggling type. I lived in SD for 4, winters. I could manage the cold I think. If people can sleep on mt. Everest. It would be a prolonged concern. I will definitely want an inclosed underbelly, and the oil heater is another great idea.
I will visit a show or two - that is a prudent.
50a model vs. 30 is a great distinction. Thanks Again!
My brotther just sold a 2003 cobra with 8k miles for 20k.

30a isn't a deal breaker, but makes things much easier in the winter. You can run several electric heaters without running your propane. And if the campground doesn't charge for electric, it's a win.

A 30a trailer will leave you with enough amps for one decent sized heater and that's about it.

More food for thought - a trailer with a slide will be less thermally efficient than a non slide trailer. The slides are even more poorly insulated than the rest of the trailer. Since it will be just you and a dog, you could likely do without a slide. Less space inside will make for less heating and cooling costs.

If you can find one with insulated windows, they are a definite plus. A fiberglass sided version is better looking, but an aluminum sided one is more resistant to water leaks, delamination and such. It needs to say something "arctic package" or "four seasons" or "fully insulated.

I've always like the 03/04 Cobra cars. If I didn't have a 93 I'd probably look for one myself.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

Fishndog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great info.I have had my truck for along time. I put over 500k on it 10 years ago. It came with a 460,5th wheel z5 dana 60. Once the motor went I decided to rebuild. My builder talked me into a stroker. I find one of the most dangerous road hazards is merging off of exits - especially up hill. All that torque makes it more comfortable; gets you right up to speed. It also has that muscle car feel which is fun. It has a Probe racing 521 kit, and is .0040 over bore.
As far as the cold goes - it is my favorite weather, and my big black mastiff loves it. Maybe he can help keep me warm, but he is not the snuggling type. I lived in SD for 4, winters. I could manage the cold I think. If people can sleep on mt. Everest. It would be a prolonged concern. I will definitely want an inclosed underbelly, and the oil heater is another great idea.
I will visit a show or two - that is a prudent.
50a model vs. 30 is a great distinction. Thanks Again!
My brotther just sold a 2003 cobra with 8k miles for 20k.