cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum payload question

leopardhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping someone can explain something to me... If you go to this Ford website, 2017 Ford® Super Duty F350 Platinum Truck | Model Highlights | Ford.com and scroll down about 3/4 of the way, you will see the "Maximum Payload Package Selector (lbs.)" section.

Scrolling down through that section to the F-350 SRW 4X4, and looking in the column for the Crew Cab, I cannot understand why the vehicle with a GVWR of 11,300 lbs. would have a payload that is 640 lbs. HIGHER than the vehicle with a GVWR of 11,400 lbs.!! I don't get it...maybe 'cause I haven't been around trucks all that much?

Does anyone here have any input, comments, advice, an explanation...?

Thanks!

Mark
20 REPLIES 20

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The question is not "will it stop", the question is "how long will it take". Anyone who thinks the truck will stop as quickly with a load needs to think again... which is why state laws require trailers over a specific weight to have brakes.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Exactly!

The manufacture puts heavy springs under their vehicle and put's a 3 cent sticker on the door and it's all good with RV.net members.

I put the EXACT springs on the vehicle and no sticker and all of a sudden I'm putting woman and children on the road in danger.

They have the exact brakes, the exact frame, the exact tranny, the exact same engine but that 3 cent sticker is magic!! It makes all the difference in the world for some on here.

Yep! Once that sticker is applied to a truck then the axle, brakes, suspension, and frame automatically get weaker to match the sticker. It's magic I tell you.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Quite a discussion/argument when the OP's question was why the difference in the two payload ratings.

Answer = the diesel engine does get a slight higher GVWR than the gas but since the diesel engine weighs more, it ends up with a lower payload.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that you will find. the brakes are in fact rated to stop the GVWR of the vehicle

Brakes can easily stop a trucks gvwr as the trucks brakes are designed and tested by the truck mfg (before FMVSS testing) to stop the rating of each axle system.
My 2500 Dodge has a 5200 fawr and 6000 rawr = 11200 lbs of braking performance at a minimum. And as was mentioned a 3/4 ton trucks brake systems may be same as their bigger one ton brothers.

NHTSA says this about components of the GAWR:
"Gross Axle Weight Rating is the rated load-carrying capacity of an individual axle and wheel assembly. (It represents the load that may be steadily sustained by the components in the system; i.e., tires, rims, hubs, bearing, axles, brakes, suspension, sub frame, etc. with the GAWR limited by the components with the lowest working rating".

and even rubber mfg mentions brakes ;
RMA

• GAWR: Gross Axle Weight Rating (for each axle) -
The maximum weight rating that the components
(tires, rims/wheels, brakes, springs, and axle) of
each axle are designed to support. This is
determined by the lowest design capacity of any
component. In other words, if the wheels have the
lowest design capacity of any component on that
axle, installing tires with a higher load capacity
does not increase the GAWR. By regulation, the
tire load rating times the number of tires on that
axle must equal or exceed the GAWR for that axle."
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Classic rvnet payload discussion!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Actually max payload is all the truck is rated to carry, and all the BRAKES are designed to STOP. No matter where the weight is. The brakes are only designed to stop the GVWR of the truck.

BTW. at max GVWR. The brakes are not designed to stop ANY of the trailer.

Fairly certain that the axle rating takes into account the suspension, wheels, tires AND braking ability for the axle.

Furthermore, trucks are designed to be able to handle a certain amount of trailer load without brakes. On my Ram its either 3500 or 5000 lbs of trailer are allowed without requiring brakes (I'll have to check my manual, too lazy to go outside now though). Again... my Ram's braking system doesn't know if that weight is in the bed or on a trailer. It will just stop the load.

I believe that you will find. the brakes are in fact rated to stop the GVWR of the vehicle. meaning the brakes will stop the truck, and trailer well if they add up to the GVWR of the truck. Every thing over the GVWR is stopped by trailer brakes. A fellow that designed brakes. Finally convinced me of that, after I argued with him for several months. Because I towed pups with no brakes. and did fine. He proved to me that the truck had enough payload to cover most all of the weight of the pup.

But when fully loaded to GVWR. It was only to stop the truck. Just like tow capacity. every pound you put in the truck reduced the tow capacity. I suspect the same is true of the no trailer braking you mention. could be 5k when towing with a empty truck, but is reduced as you load the truck. but then I've been wrong before.

So are you telling me, that my brakes on my 2500 (which are identical to the brakes of the DRW 3500 per the Ram Bodybuilder) will only stop up to the 10k GVWR of my 2500? What happens when they are on a DRW 3500? Is there some kind of ferry dust that gets sprinkled on them to make them stop a higher GVWR truck even though they are the same?

Exactly!

The manufacture puts heavy springs under their vehicle and put's a 3 cent sticker on the door and it's all good with RV.net members.

I put the EXACT springs on the vehicle and no sticker and all of a sudden I'm putting woman and children on the road in danger.

They have the exact brakes, the exact frame, the exact tranny, the exact same engine but that 3 cent sticker is magic!! It makes all the difference in the world for some on here.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Actually max payload is all the truck is rated to carry, and all the BRAKES are designed to STOP. No matter where the weight is. The brakes are only designed to stop the GVWR of the truck.

Fairly certain that the axle rating takes into account the suspension, wheels, tires AND braking ability for the axle.

Furthermore, trucks are designed to be able to handle a certain amount of trailer load without brakes. On my Ram its either 3500 or 5000 lbs of trailer are allowed without requiring brakes (I'll have to check my manual, too lazy to go outside now though). Again... my Ram's braking system doesn't know if that weight is in the bed or on a trailer. It will just stop the load.

I believe that you will find. the brakes are in fact rated to stop the GVWR of the vehicle. meaning the brakes will stop the truck, and trailer well if they add up to the GVWR of the truck. Every thing over the GVWR is stopped by trailer brakes. A fellow that designed brakes. Finally convinced me of that, after I argued with him for several months. Because I towed pups with no brakes. and did fine. He proved to me that the truck had enough payload to cover most all of the weight of the pup.

But when fully loaded to GVWR. It was only to stop the truck. Just like tow capacity. every pound you put in the truck reduced the tow capacity. I suspect the same is true of the no trailer braking you mention. could be 5k when towing with a empty truck, but is reduced as you load the truck. but then I've been wrong before.

So are you telling me, that my brakes on my 2500 (which are identical to the brakes of the DRW 3500 per the Ram Bodybuilder) will only stop up to the 10k GVWR of my 2500? What happens when they are on a DRW 3500? Is there some kind of ferry dust that gets sprinkled on them to make them stop a higher GVWR truck even though they are the same?
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
Max GVWR for 6.2 is 11,300.
Max GVWR for 6.7 is 11,500.

The extra weight of the diesel is the reason for the payload discrepancy.

Yep but payload is pretty meaningless since extra weight of the diesel is almost all on the front axle, while your cargo or pin weight will almost all be on the rear axle. Axle and tire ratings are the figures to know.

I would say the GVWR and its payload numbers are pretty much useless as you point out.
Case in point is the F350 srw which may come in a 10000 GVWR or a 11200 GVWR all in the same exact truck from rear bumper to the front bumper. LOL...the 10000 gvwr truck has a lower payload sticker....and its the same exact truck.
Both have the same brake systems which is dictated by the vehicles axle rating. Example is the two trucks I mentioned above with a 6000 FAWR and a 7230 RAWR = 13230 lbs of braking performance at a minimum.

OP..... use this from Ford for looking at Ford truck mechanical specs and weight numbers for Fords different year models. fleet ford specs
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
spud1957 wrote:

Yep but payload is pretty meaningless since extra weight of the diesel is almost all on the front axle, while your cargo or pin weight will almost all be on the rear axle. Axle and tire ratings are the figures to know.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

blt2ski
My C2500 reg cab has all of 300 lbs less payload than the dually crew cab I had. Almost 3000 lbs difference in GVWR!
As noted, different engines, bed length, cab style, even interior level can add a lot of weight vs a stripped model.
There were two others posting awhile ago with 05 rallies like I had. There was 600 lbs difference between the most base model and the one with a leather interior.
A these things can make a difference in final payload numbers.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The true payload of any truck depends on it's particular configuration and options installed, and will be found on a sticker inside the door jamb.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP