cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midsize car for towing

Ayrehead
Explorer
Explorer
I want to buy a new midsize car that can tow a small trailer. The trailer and load together weigh just 500 pounds. I use it on flat terrain. The car does not have to be "rated" for towing, but towing must not void the warranty. My old 2006 Corolla tows good, but new ones forbid towing. Any suggestions for a make or model that can do it?
18 REPLIES 18

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jerem0621 wrote:
The Subaru cars have decent towing.

I tow a small trailer once in a while with my Crosstrek.

Outback is a bigger car, redesigned for 2020.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What car you find?
Corolla is midsize, not compact?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
LittleBill wrote:
as far as i am concerned the ratings are generally ****. reason being.

You may be right, but common sense often has very little to do with warranty coverage.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Fusion would be my pick. The 6-speed auto is durable, and the EcoBoost is torquey.

I tow 2,000 pounds with my Focus ST, which shares the 2.0 EcoBoost with the Fusion, but has the 6-speed manual instead. Towing 2,000 pounds effortless, and if they offered the 3,500# receiver like they do in Europe and Asia, I wouldn't hesitate to tow more.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Anything midsize, new and you can buy a trailer hitch for it will tow 500lbs.
My criteria would be 1. Do I want this car? 2. Can I buy a receiver for it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a car that has a tow rating of 1,000 pounda or more. Why pust the envelope and question if it can or can't. I wouldn't be comfortable always looking at the guages and wondering if I'm going to have a problem. Just don't go there for piece of mind.
Brian

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Subaru's have mid-2000 lb ratings. The biggest limiting factory of the ratings on any car is the CVT transmissions. More and more, cars are made w/o conventional gear based transmissions, limiting what they can do...this is why you don't see CVT trans cars/suv's able to be towed all 4 wheels down behind a motorhome.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
as far as i am concerned the ratings are generally ****. reason being.

the chevy cavalier had 2 motors, 2 trannys and a 20 hp difference, one was rated 1k one was not rated to tow anything. do you think the lower one had any trouble towing? it didn't and the cars were known well, same EVERYTHING short of the tranny and engine, and you could get the 4 speed in the lower engine which i had.

Bedlam
My 2003 Jetta and 2015 Sonic both have occasionally pulled trailers up to 2000 lbs but I limit mountain passes to 1000 lbs. You need to watch the gauges rather than speed to keep the transmission cool. If you plan to do this more than occasionally, then look for a car with sufficient ratings and configure it properly.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Ayrehead wrote:
In answer to some questions, the current Corolla owners manual says:

Toyota does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Toyota also does not recommend the installation of a tow hitch or the use of a tow hitch carrier for a wheelchair, scooter, bicycle, etc. Your vehicle is not designed for trailer towing or for the use of tow hitch mounted carriers.

And yes, the weight is 500.

That they even downplay a receiver for a mobility scooter or bike rack makes me wonder if the problem isn't the total lack of a frame or any structural supports.
There probably isn't a single piece of metal on there capable of any added stress beyond carrying the vehicle itself.

Ayrehead
Explorer
Explorer
In answer to some questions, the current Corolla owners manual says:

Toyota does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Toyota also does not recommend the installation of a tow hitch or the use of a tow hitch carrier for a wheelchair, scooter, bicycle, etc. Your vehicle is not designed for trailer towing or for the use of tow hitch mounted carriers.

And yes, the weight is 500.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Not the power that limits the OEM product team from allowing towing, but duty cycle required to tow
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
My Toyota Matrix only has the 1.8 litre motor. The manual states no trailer hitch is allowed, and voided the warrantee if one is installed. The exact same car with the 2.4 litre engine has a hitch listed for it. I guess the 1.8 doesn't have the power to pull extra weight. 500 lbs isn't much. Any car that can have a hitch can pull 500 lbs.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the day (80s), I towed a small popup with my Subaru Impreza. It had a 2500 lb tow rating at that time. The 2019 and 2020 Subaru Foresters (their mid-size) has a 1500 lb tow rating and something called their TSA (trailer safety assist), which I'm not sure what it is.

I've had other cars, but my 4 Subarus have been my favorites. Just purchased a new Outback Touring model that is FABULOUS!
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW