cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Might sell the F450 and go F550 with liquid springs

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love the F450 with the Arctic Fox 1140 for traveling. Just find the ride a bit rough on some of Americas moon scape of a road system. Been looking at suspension upgrades but as we are at the limit of payload, it makes sense to go with a higher payload and not worry about adding weight from new suspension.

Any one had seat of the pants experience with Liquid Springs? From what I have read, most are happy with the outcome.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)
53 REPLIES 53

Cliff_and_Miche
Explorer
Explorer
SoonDockin wrote:
Cliff and Michele wrote:

My CM aluminum flatbed weighed 710 pounds. Have not installed the Liquid Spring system yet but I don’t think it will add any weight because all the old suspension parts are removed. It should not add any weight so there is another 800 pounds of available capacity.

I saw where the stable camper owner has his ram 5500 upgraded with liquid springs. Claimed about 50 lbs added rear and 300 added up front.

Does your CM Flatbed have lower boxes? I plan on that. As for finding a 4500 with features I want, it looks like a no go. So I will probably order a 5500. Just need to get more familiar with Ram options and colors. If Ford was adding the ability to equip higher trim level options I might wait and go that route. I just hope they provide 2023 options soon. Looks like 3-4 months if I order a 2022 5500 now.

It does not have them yet. Will have lower and upper boxes, being custom built by Stablecamper. Also gonna had forged aluminum wheels and 35” tall tires.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cliff and Michele wrote:

My CM aluminum flatbed weighed 710 pounds. Have not installed the Liquid Spring system yet but I don’t think it will add any weight because all the old suspension parts are removed. It should not add any weight so there is another 800 pounds of available capacity.

I saw where the stable camper owner has his ram 5500 upgraded with liquid springs. Claimed about 50 lbs added rear and 300 added up front.

Does your CM Flatbed have lower boxes? I plan on that. As for finding a 4500 with features I want, it looks like a no go. So I will probably order a 5500. Just need to get more familiar with Ram options and colors. If Ford was adding the ability to equip higher trim level options I might wait and go that route. I just hope they provide 2023 options soon. Looks like 3-4 months if I order a 2022 5500 now.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SoonDockin wrote:
Ok Don't turn this into an AC conversation. Just a feature I want. Main goal it providing a platform that rides nice and does not toss my camper like a flap jack when a pot hole or bridge transition sneaks up on me.

Been looking at current stock on F450 and 4500 for grins. Seems they can be outfitted with 16500 gvwr. Not the 19500 a F550 or 5500 offers but a full 2500 above what my F450 offers. I am estimating an aluminum bed and liquid springs won't eat more than 1500 lbs. Leaving only 1k breathing room is nice but probably not a good move. It would be much nicer to have 3-4k of spare payload. Never know when I might find a vein of gold and need to carry out a ton or so.

I can't figure out how your truck with the axle ratings it has is now not sufficient for the camper you've been carrying, which you claim rides "rough"
Again, if you "want" a new truck that's cool. If you're worried somehow about the capacity of your current truck, that is silly.
Any version of a M300 with 19.5s on it is MORE than enough to carry your camper and a bunch of stuff inside it. Liquid springs or Kelderman or whatever system you are considering to make it "softer" can be fitted to your truck too.

Just trying to help you understand what you have with your current rig, as it seems you're conflicted somewhere along the line between worrying about payload and trying to upgrade your suspension.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cliff_and_Miche
Explorer
Explorer
SoonDockin wrote:

Been looking at current stock on F450 and 4500 for grins. Seems they can be outfitted with 16500 gvwr. Not the 19500 a F550 or 5500 offers but a full 2500 above what my F450 offers. I am estimating an aluminum bed and liquid springs won't eat more than 1500 lbs. Leaving only 1k breathing room is nice but probably not a good move. It would be much nicer to have 3-4k of spare payload. Never know when I might find a vein of gold and need to carry out a ton or so.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok Don't turn this into an AC conversation. Just a feature I want. Main goal it providing a platform that rides nice and does not toss my camper like a flap jack when a pot hole or bridge transition sneaks up on me.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
stevenal wrote:
I had a scary experience with the adaptive cruise on a Highlander recently. The radar keyed on a nearly stopped vehicle in the right hand turn lane, while the through lane that I was in arced away to the left up ahead. The result was hard braking in the with traffic moving at highway speed behind. This tech needs more work.

This ^^^^

It's all fun and games, until the brakes come on hard at the wrong time. Beyond just annoying, it's potentially dangerous. Besides, do we really want drivers to get so lackadaisical that they don't pay attention/react to vehicles in front of them and adjust accordingly?

The sudden braking that stevenal speaks of does happen. First time was upsetting, second time was frightening. Done with it.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
stevenal wrote:
I had a scary experience with the adaptive cruise on a Highlander recently. The radar keyed on a nearly stopped vehicle in the right hand turn lane, while the through lane that I was in arced away to the left up ahead. The result was hard braking in the with traffic moving at highway speed behind. This tech needs more work.

It's a I could take it or leave it feature.
Hasn't done that to me on adaptive cruise, but I had to turn off the active collision avoidance.
It would do the same thing. Not sure how we didn't get rear ended when it malfunctioned, considering the car that it's on stops faster than the vast majority of vehicles.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought my first Adaptive Cruise Ford in 2015. Had three different ones (all ford) that were flawless. Never had an issue with it not performing fine. Even with my truck loaded pulling 6000 lbs of trailer. my F450 using adaptive cruise can easily brake when needed.

I have not been in a Ram with adaptive cruise so it will be interesting if I do got that route. I also see its possible to add it to the level 1 lariat trim with a couple of oem parts.

I have been happy with my Fords, I am sure whatever I get I will be happy with.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Count me as one who thinks adaptive cruise is awful. Can't stand it. We have it on one of our SUV's, and we're not able to disable it. Flat out, just never use cruise on that one.

"makes lazy drivers safer"...
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
With my F450 I enable the exhaust brake and it will slow down well with minimal break use. It’s also great when in the mountains. I don’t often follow on two lane roads close enough for the adaptive cruise. I prefer to maintain an even speed. So I slow down some

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm glad someone likes adaptive cruise. I don't personally get that close to other vehicles when I carry my truck camper or tow.

I wonder how well it adapts for the heavier load when it applies brakes.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
After some thought and consideration, I am likely going to switch to a Ram 5500. Little things like adaptive cruise not being available in the Ford F550 and no solid info about what might be available for 2023. Ram is taking 2023 orders now so seems like a good move to me.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well as anyone a less than unlimited budget, I have not completely given up on my F450. Its paid for and the days of selling it for more than a new one might be over.

I will spend some time checking what I can do to improve the ride before giving up.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Agreed. But airbags are a good compromise IMO.
If I had our old setup and was a dedicated camper rig, I’d have put massive leaf springs on it and it would be better than bags.
But tough to drive everywhere else with 10klbs worth of rear springs.