cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More suspension help!

Rickj91
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Wolf Creek 850 on a 2005 Chevy 2500HD (no Overloads), with the Duramax with 120,000 miles on it. I still have the original shocks. Truck rides fine with the load but I get about a 3 inch sag in the back from the empty position. I am thinking about Monroe Reflex Light Truck shocks vs. Bilstein 4600’s and adding Super Springs. I do a lot of back country camping for fishing and hunting as well, and it performs just fine. I also pull a Cargo Trailer which adds to the sag in the rear a little, when attached. I have read all the posts on here and get confused as to the best route to take. First I am wondering about the shock choice, and then if the Super Springs will help with the sag in the rear.
I am very impressed with all the knowledge and experience on this site and it is my daily read each morning. Any ideas or comments would sure be appreciated. Oh, Love our Wolf Creek 850, after many campers, 5th wheels and travel trailers.
2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr
32 REPLIES 32

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Chopperbob wrote:
Airbags are a bandaid. Super Springs are the answer along
With Bilstien shocks and Helwig sway bar.

The only problem with Supersprings is the cost...Overpriced. An add on should not cost as much or more than a shop adding custom overloads.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We use Air Lift bags, I think they are about all the same on a 2006 GMC 2500HD 4WD. Our camper is about 3500#.

The air bags work well. The key is not to over inflate them. I inflate until the main spring pack is about to separate from the factory overload spring. The over load spring keeps the truck from swaying and at that point our truck is about level.

I am not sure how your 2005 2500HD GM does not have overloads, I think it came from the factory that way. Were they removed?

Good Luck.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe someone can explain how the truck can squat 3", and be raised back with anything that is not adjustable?

Anything that is fixed, is just that, fixed. If you have a given truck, and load it with five different weights, no fixed spring, Stable Loads or shock will bring it back to the original height. Air bags will.

For those that have a problem with airbags, they might consider how many big trucks are on the road with them.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Bedlam
I use upper and lower StableLoads to preload my OEM springs enough to carry my TC. My air bags level me out if I am towing.

I did not need heavier shocks until I went to heavier 19.5" wheels which increased the unsuspended weight portion of my suspension.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will not have instability or side to side rocking with airbags on your 2005 GM D/A unless you go crazy with the bag's inflation. GM trucks do not have the issues other trucks have due to the airbags location and rear suspension design. Use approx 10 psi bag inflation for each 500 lbs you want to lift. like 50 psi for 2500 lbs. Never over inflate and deflate to between 5 and 10 psi when not carrying weight to maintain bag shape and have OEM ride.

First installed Air Lift Systems airbags in 1993 on our 1993 Chevy ext cab LB 4X4 to carry our TC and we dowve the truck 128,000 miles with about 100,000 with the TC on and twice to Alaska and all over the USA and Canada. Sold the truck to a farmer friend and it still has the same bags on with way over 300,000 miles on the truck as of last November. Never leaked either. Have them also on our 2004.5 Chevy 2500 D/A CC LB 4X4 truck and have over 149,000 on them now and they work perfect. We carry a heavy Lance 11'4" loaded with options and it's solid as a rock driving with 65 psi in the bags. About 40-45 psi when pulling our Carriage Carrilite 5th wheel that we are in right now in Florida.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
We added airbags and they helped with the side to side sway. A nice part is that you can add or remove pressure as needed.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rickj91 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
cewillis - I like your idea, but no shop or talent
Super Dave- I read so much on here about air bags giving height, but also instability, used mostly for side to side levelling. No experience with them and from the replies here, a lot of people swear by them. Overloads - wish the truck came with them, that's why I thought the Super springs would work.
1mtnman - thought about Timbresn and Stableloads, but was in a quandary. Again I thought the super springs would compromise here. Are these Bilstein's the 4600's. The dealer I talked with thought the Monroe shock would work better but also offered the Bilstein.
Now I have lots to think about and will get back with my decision. thanks again

Supersprings will work...but lot's of Folks report severely harsh unladed ride.
Airbags will get unstable IF over inflated...you have to play around to find the right (minimum) psi, and they may actually improve unladed ride.
There's more than one way to skin this cat...you'll need to decide which will accomplish your goal.

I like the AB's as they are adjustable both front/back and side/side.

8 yrs...no leaks...no problems...

B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Rickj91
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.
cewillis - I like your idea, but no shop or talent
Super Dave- I read so much on here about air bags giving height, but also instability, used mostly for side to side levelling. No experience with them and from the replies here, a lot of people swear by them. Overloads - wish the truck came with them, that's why I thought the Super springs would work.
1mtnman - thought about Timbresn and Stableloads, but was in a quandary. Again I thought the super springs would compromise here. Are these Bilstein's the 4600's. The dealer I talked with thought the Monroe shock would work better but also offered the Bilstein.
Now I have lots to think about and will get back with my decision. thanks again
2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than coil over, shocks aren't going to help with ride height. I don't believe coilover are designed to hold a camper weight, but I could be wrong.

First, raise the height and that can be timbrens, supersprings, or air bags. Next, dampen the rebound which is the shock change. In any case, you are probably due for shocks at 120,000 miles.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Rick,
Cal Willis has the best set up i've seen for a Chevy. Also probably the most expensive fix. The secret is that it is a two tier system. Nice stock ride when you have no load and extra muscle when you are loaded for bear and a much reduced sag. Those with Stable Loads on their thick, stiff lower overload springs do get less sag but have to put up with diminished spring travel and a pretty harsh ride. Remember that a pack of thinner leaf springs have a better ride and much improved spring travel compared to a single, thick 'overload' spring, upper or lower. Air bags? I'm not a fan as they have that annoying recoil. But, they are infinitely adjustable; works for many and is a fairly easy add-on. An antidote to air bags would be very stiff shocks like the Rancho 9K's on 9 or KYB's. In my experience, the stock Chevy shocks ARE very stiff and seem to last longer than Dodge or Ford factory shocks.
There are lots of ways to proceed. Take your pick. Emulate folks who have had great success.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Rickj91 wrote:
We have a 2013 Wolf Creek 850 on a 2005 Chevy 2500HD (no Overloads), with the Duramax with 120,000 miles on it. I still have the original shocks. Truck rides fine with the load but I get about a 3 inch sag in the back from the empty position. I am thinking about Monroe Reflex Light Truck shocks vs. Bilstein 4600’s and adding Super Springs. I do a lot of back country camping for fishing and hunting as well, and it performs just fine. I also pull a Cargo Trailer which adds to the sag in the rear a little, when attached. I have read all the posts on here and get confused as to the best route to take. First I am wondering about the shock choice, and then if the Super Springs will help with the sag in the rear.
I am very impressed with all the knowledge and experience on this site and it is my daily read each morning. Any ideas or comments would sure be appreciated. Oh, Love our Wolf Creek 850, after many campers, 5th wheels and travel trailers.

Since you need shocks,try these

OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My truck is the same as yours except I have the 6.0 gas engine. My camper as you can see is a Wolf Creek 816 which is a bit lighter than yours. Everything depends on how it is loaded as to final weight. I installed Timbrens first which help a lot as the timbrens ride on the axle when you are loaded and give much more suppofrt that your OEM stops. I then installed Torklift Stableloads which really brought the rearend up 2.5 inches. My Stableloads are quick release so you can disengage them when not loaded. I also installed Bilstein rear shocks. They are BE5-A831-HO which are specially made for hauling acamper. They were $168.00 at ESHOCKS
Hope this helps.

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Airbags are a bandaid. Super Springs are the answer along
With Bilstien shocks and Helwig sway bar.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reddog1 wrote:
My vote is air bags, no compromise in ride or height.

x3...and adjustable...which sounds like you would want as you sometimes tow.

B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ X3 ^^^ Air bags!
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)