cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moving to New York from PA

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
In a few weeks DW and I are moving north a bit. The waitress we told said, "That's weird, usually people move from NY to PA, not the other way around." Taxes are high, but DW has a job we can't pass up.
So...wondering if there is anything I need to know about licensing my F-350 and trailer? When I was purchasing it people mentioned some states being difficult on the larger trucks. I'm thinking NY might just be one of those "difficult" states. Anyone have some advice for me (other than "stay in PA";))
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m
9 REPLIES 9

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
Since your truck empty weighs over 5500 lbs, you need to have commercial plates. If you put a cap on the bed you can get passenger plates. With commercial plates you can't get on parkways so it limits you tremendously in NY area. Another stupid law in NYC (5 boroughs) is that if you have commercial plates, you need to have a business name and phone number displayed on the doors. Oh, this is your personal vehicle ? Too bad, the rookie traffic cop will give you a ticket because he does not know better. Don't ask me how I know these, been living in NY for 25 years. I moved out of the city years ago to suburbs, I just could not take it anymore. Parking a Civic is a challenge, especially on the alternating cleaning days. Otherwise, it's a nice place to live, welcome.

greende
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 DRW in my sig is $67 per year (x2 for the 2yr mandatory renewal) and the 5er is 157 per year. Registration in New York goes from Dec 31 to Dec 31. Many people wait till just before they are ready to go camping in the spring before getting the trailer registered because the fee is prorated from that date till the end of the year. We don't bother with that but many people do.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone complains about taxes no matter where you live. A gentleman once told me if you find a place you really like you will find a way to afford to live in that place.
My sister lives in NC and "oh the taxes are so much cheaper there", but fuel is just as expensive, food is more expensive, they have personal property taxes, HOA fees, their infrastructure stinks/poorly engineered, average income is less there, education is not as good, your child wants to play school sports you pay out of pocket and on and on.
New York is not only the city, it has a beautiful place called the Adirondack Park, come on up to NY and enjoy yourself.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
And on another note....
Property taxes, sales taxes, and state income taxes are high in NY. And NYC is another ball game.
At least there's no personal property tax.
And if you own firearms you need to familiarize yourself with NY regs on what you can and can't bring with you.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
"That's weird, usually people move from NY to PA, not the other way around." Taxes are high
Also my thoughts when I read the topic title. :@

Pennsylvania is trying hard to catch up with NY's high fees and taxes though. If Wolf succeeds with his own agenda, it take long. :M

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Truck reg runs 2 years. Camper: every year. Truck rates depend on GVW. Mine is at 11,500 lbs and costs $155.00 ($77/yr). Camper is 1 of 3 ways: 1). Current white plate is $182. 2). New gold plate w/ new number $194. 3). New gold plate w/ current plate number is $214. Truck reg is 2 years from time of renewal. All trailer reg runs from Jan 1 to Dec 31. If you only use RV during the summer, you can hold off on renewing it till about time you are going to use it and rates will be prorated (read = cheaper). I generally don't renew RV till may and cost around 120 bucks. Being you will be "new" to NY, you will be issued gold plates. Not sure of the ramifications DMV has as to criteria you will need, but like other post said, check DMV's web site out. Can always search for the county DMV office where you will be and call them as well. If in large metro area, this may not be a good idea. Hope all the replies help you out.

Depending on how you reg your truck, it can be either passenger (ie: 1/2 ton truck) or commercial, but seeing you have a similar truck as mine, it will be commercial.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
Start by going to The official NY (.gov) site...Process should be quite simple, but $$$$.

Ok, looks like my truck and van must be classified as commercial so around $250 each. Did an estimate on our cars and those are $136 each. Overall looks like 5x as expensive as PA....hmmmmm....I guess all taxes are high in NY...was hoping it was just property taxes.
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
Expensive, but really not that difficult! Here's a tip, though..... Many County Clerk's offices are satellite NYS DMV Offices. Not sure whe you are moving to, but I've found overall that the Conty Clerk's DMV Offices are MUCH more friendly and efficient than the local State DMV Office. (And I'm sorry to say that I'm a state employee telling you this..")
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Start by going to The official NY (.gov) site. Then call if you have more questions.

NY is a title state, is PA for both units?

Use the lowest sticker weight on the trailer.

Process should be quite simple, but $$$$.