cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSRP discount?

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of discount percentages are we seeing of the MSRP prices of the big 3 ??? My brother-in -law is contemplating replacing his 1999 with a new truck... I know the 20% ~30% rule is good for trailers???what about the two vehicles?????? If a dealer is showing an MSRP of let's say $60,000 v what's the bottom number to look for?
17 REPLIES 17

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I got 30% off sticker with rebates in December on a 2013 xlt ecoboost. have no idea on a 2014, but it is higher / less discount for obvious reasons.

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
Well , my bro-in law has his eyes on a 2014 f-350 with a 6.7 sitting on the dealers lot. Plenty of truck for a 32' TT... The sticker is showing $60,500.00 .. We will see if he is serious or not soon enough...

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's great to get all this information from different sources ... all these numbers are designed to one purpose - get a buyer into the dealer.

But the bottom line usually: If you get a price that suits you or fits your wallet, you'll buy a truck. If you don't, then you won't.

What is a truck worth to you? Figure that out, and you'll be a happy camper with a new truck.

Despite a lot of probably mostly true stories on here, most dealers are honest, and will not deceive the public. Otherwise, they won't stay in business long.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
gtsum wrote:
Timely thread as I need to trade my 2013 Ram 1500 in on a 3500 ctd. What are your experiences/opinions on ordering a truck?? I have never built one and ordered it, but that is what it looks like I need to do as I cannot find one (anywhere) in the color I want with the options I want. Any idea what a good estimate off MSRP would be for ordering? I am looking at 66k list or so...I would like to think I could get it for 56k or a little less?

Compare prices here.

http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/new-inventory/index.htm?invType=new&SBmake=Ram&reset=In...
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
Timely thread as I need to trade my 2013 Ram 1500 in on a 3500 ctd. What are your experiences/opinions on ordering a truck?? I have never built one and ordered it, but that is what it looks like I need to do as I cannot find one (anywhere) in the color I want with the options I want. Any idea what a good estimate off MSRP would be for ordering? I am looking at 66k list or so...I would like to think I could get it for 56k or a little less?
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2013 Ford F150 AC 4X4 XLT loaded without the HD Towing, but had the towing package good for 9600 lbs in December. It windowed for $44500 and I paid $32000. It's a keeper.
charles weidman

APT
Explorer
Explorer
LOL Dad. 2014 clearance as 2015 HD redesign launches, not too surprising. $15k off? Might get a bit better given your discount, but selection will go down. Go for the 3500!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Aka the breeze wrote:
What kind of discount percentages are we seeing of the MSRP prices of the big 3 ??? My brother-in -law is contemplating replacing his 1999 with a new truck... I know the 20% ~30% rule is good for trailers???what about the two vehicles?????? If a dealer is showing an MSRP of let's say $60,000 v what's the bottom number to look for?

If you know a GM employee, you can get GM Friends price. It is Dealer Invoice, plus transportation, plus $250 fee (and is nicely printed to show customer) less all applicable incentives.

There are many GM employee's here in the United States.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
$60k MSRP, $10k off is pretty much any day of the year. $12k is really good. $15k happens in the right location and time of year. All estimates before TTL.

So I was pricing a 2014 2500HD Silverado with D/A, and sticker was $57k and my price of $42k would be a good deal?
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
Review the pricing websites (KBB, Edmunds, NADA) to get an idea of prices. Email various dealerships to get prices. Find something you like at a price within range of what you reviewed, and buy it. Once you buy the vehicle, STOP looking at other vehicles! It'll drive you nuts.

Remember, ALL the dealerships are also reviewing those websites. Those websites get their numbers FROM the dealers. The dealers know what numbers you have in mind when you contact them.

Go to the manufacturers websites also, sometimes you might be able to find a "special deal" that the dealer pretends they don't know about.

Do you know anyone who works at the dealership? Maybe a mechanic? Sometimes you can get a few more dollars off from a "reference", and the mechanic might get $50 after the sale.

Stick to your price when coming to the final multiple people that you have to sign papers for. Even if they want to "only" raise the payments by $1 a month, say NO. Nitrogen filled tires for $200 extra? NO. Special paint coating for $325 extra (meaning - they wash the truck!)? NO.

The only time I want an extended, extra cost warranty is when I am financing the truck -- I want the warranty to last until at least my final payment. Not fun to have to pay for repairs while still making payments on a vehicle. Remember, you don't have to buy an extended warranty right away - many times you have up to 30 days to get an extended "factory warranty", but usually at a minimum 7 days after purchase. I did this for my 2008 F250. The "business manager" kept pushing for an extended warranty (which I wanted, but didn't say at the time), and he kept lowering the price. By the time we finished paperwork, the cost of the extended warranty had been cut in HALF - and I still didn't buy. I came back in 6 days later and bought the warranty, which I could afford to do with cash.

Hmm, didn't meant to write so much. Just waiting for the snow to stop so I can start plowing.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
$60k MSRP, $10k off is pretty much any day of the year. $12k is really good. $15k happens in the right location and time of year. All estimates before TTL.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer
Truth of the matter is; any listed "invoice" price is a scam and a lie. It's not the whole truth.

Basically invoice sets the base price to start the negotiations for anyone who knows that number. MSRP is for others.

Problem is; "invoice" isn't what the dealer paid and isn't the whole picture.

The key is to email or contact multiple dealers asking for the best price. The trick is to find one(ideally at the end of the month for example), that really needs to make a sale and will sell the vehicle off at almost any price just to make the sale so they can get their sales bonus from the manufacturer for meeting their sales target that month or quarter. They won't care about the $1,000 or $2,000 you saved when they have a check for hundreds of thousands if not millions on the way. That is how the dealers operate these days.

Just how many thousands less you can get the vehicle for under the published invoice price is anyones guess. Maybe it comes down to how much you feel is a good deal. Is $1,000 less enough or will you not settle unless it's $4,000 less?

Call this guy and talk tactics with him: http://fightingchance.com/

Also consider getting the vehicle from another town or city or even out of state if the price is that much lower.

True story: My brother in law was purchasing a new Ford Focus for the company he works for(for a sales person). He called all the local dealerships in the OKC area. $16k was as low as they claimed they could go. Nope, no lower than $16k just can't do it. Called a dealer in Stillwater, OK. $14k.

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Dennis Dillon Chrysler Ram, really good advertised prices.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My dually was $61,000 and I got over 12k off of that, which is about 20% off MSRP.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE