cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 1984 Travel Lite 17 footer

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everybody! I wanted to share my 17ft camp trailer I got for my family & I to use. I picked it up last year and have had to do a little work on it. But it serves us well and our family loves it!

Here's some exterior photos:

A couple shots of the interior when I first got it:

It pulls really well behind my Toyota Sequoia. Straight as an arrow and the truck can barely tell its there.

Here we are enjoying it on its very first family trip to Lake Tahoe.

And another site not far from Tahoe for trip #2

It really does make camping possible for our family!
37 REPLIES 37

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Well everybody. Time to end this thread.

I have sold this 17ft Trailer (and even sold the Sequoia)....

....But I replaced them both 🙂

You can read more at the new thread here: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29692985/gotomsg/29692998/p/1.cfm#29692998

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Neat package.
We just came off a 2750 mile trip on I-80....I-70....I-40 in the mountain states and many roads between them. I've never seen so many small tear drop and single axle TTs as the OP has especially in the mountains. They exceeded other by far.
Those 6:50-13 Goodyears were most likely a passenger tire (P tire today) which was common back then for small trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I inspected my bumper and its pretty secure. Its welded to the frame, not bolted. None of the welds are damaged or cracked and we dont suffer from rust here in Northern California. I did lean against the bike rack and it forces the suspension on the trailer to compress.... so im confident it can handle a couple aluminum mountain bikes. But I appreciate the concern 🙂

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tvov wrote:
Yes, as CavemanCharlie posted, be careful with the bumper mounted bikes. Do a search on these forums and you will find information on strengthening bumpers.

Tinfoil as a frame and bumper material hadn't been discovered by the accounting department at the OEM s in 1984 had it?

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best trailers are the ones that get used. The great thing about an older TT is you can modify it all you want without hurting it. Hope you and your family continue to have enthusiasm for it.

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, as CavemanCharlie posted, be careful with the bumper mounted bikes. Do a search on these forums and you will find information on strengthening bumpers.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You sure do get to camp in some nice looking spots! consider getting a cover for your spare.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be a little careful with those bikes mounted on the bumper. The weight of the bikes back there as you bounce down the road will sometimes cause the bumper to break off of the TT. Because they are way on the back you never even know that they are gone. Best to strengthen the bumper and it's attaching points before you lose them.

Nice photo's, glad you and the family are having fun.

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everybody for the comments. The trailer has been helping make memories for our family. Our last camping trip was near a lake with a very nice paved bike path. So I set off on craigslist to find some bikes for the wife & I. Our two boys already have bikes, and our youngest is still on training wheels. I found the perfect bikes for us but needed to find a way to carry the bikes on the trailer. So I went back to craigslist and found the perfect solution, and whats better is it was only $20!!

The bike rack is made to fit on a RV bumper which is identical to the bumper on our trailer. The original owner lost half the hardware that holds the bikes to the rack, and the padding on the rack was completely worn out. So i came up with a new solution 🙂

A cut up pool noodle zip tied to the frame should do the trick. And i have some extra long hobby grade velcro straps that will secure the bikes to the frame. The bikes need to be wedged into place over the pool noodles so they are not likely to fall off easily. The entire setup worked great.

Here's a shot on our drive to camp:

And a few pics of our camp site:

I think we got the largest camp site at the entire campground. It backed up to the forest so we had plenty of room for the kids to run around and play.

This is what its all about:

And a good night picture 🙂

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good Rv is the one that you like and that gets used. It does not matter how humble it is.

ams1130
Explorer
Explorer
Am terribly jealous of you, having kids that age! They grow up so quickly. Enjoy the times you'll spend in your great RV.
Ford F150
2014 KZ Sportsmen S242SBH

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention, nice work on the mods and.......the #1 thing to do to keep your new trailer in shape is to climb on the roof and seal everything tight. After messing around with different sealers, I tried out Eternabond tapes that were recommended by other Forum members. It is the real deal, tape everything once and forget about sealing anymore.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice TT you got there. Reminds me of my 82 scotty. Heck I love the older models. Get em a lower price put some work into them and have a great time.
2014 Ford F150 5.0
1985 citation 30 ft camper
Husky WDH with sway control

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, back then they actually used real lumber in the RV's and if repairs are needed 20, 30, or even 40 years later, there's room in the walls, floor and ceiling/roof to replace with the same actual size lumber and you can actually get to the area inside and then there's petroleum based products now like Thompsons Waterproofing to make the new lumber last even longer than the OEM lumber used. True sealing of an RV far beyond OEM is really quite simple and cheap to do and what a difference!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT