Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new 2013 Ram 2500 Longhorn with Cummins

IH_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

After a lot of testing, research, and shopping we finally bought our new tow vehicle. It’s a new 2013, and the value for the money was great for us.

As part of thanking those that helped answering questions I had over the past few weeks, I thought I would take the time to give you a report of what we think of the truck in its very early days. Being in Canada, I’ll use both km and mile values for ease of reference for our American friends.

First, the options: This truck is grey metallic (“maximum steel”) with the dark brown leather (with longhorn options and stitching). The interior is simply amazing. The only thing missing is the CD player and the DVD player. I ordered the tonneau hard cover and mud flaps as the only other options.

Upon delivery I asked that the tires be set to the ‘light load’ option, and I’m impressed with the ride. It is a 2500 and the ride is stiffer than my old 2001 Chev Tahoe, but that’s just the way it is with a bigger heavier truck. Being a Canadian truck the full Uconnect option is not available, but I read a Chrysler Canada news release just last week, and Rogers in Canada and Sprint in the US are getting together to provide for that up here. When that starts was not announced.

About a week after we took delivery, we visited family (with recent health issues) about 600 km (375 miles) northeast of us. We did not tow, and wanted to give it a good run over different road conditions. We had a mix of weather (sorry – no snow yet!) and traffic conditions from the busy 400 series freeways to secondary 2 lane highways.

As of today, I have just over 2,100 kms (1,300 miles) on the truck. I am extremely impressed with the quality of the build, the handling, and the ride. I know the usage is very low yet, but we had a lemon of a car we bought new (2006 Pontiac G6) that was a nightmare for us, and we found that out within the first couple weeks, so we are very alive to quality issues! As a side note, we traded that piece of junk in just before the warranty expired for what has been the best car we’ve owned, a new (at the time) 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Back to the Ram……!

All options work flawlessly. Not even a rattle or a squeak - just a great truck!

This is the first diesel engine in a vehicle for us. However, very close friends of ours are farmers and use CaseIH equipment. They have loved the Cummins engines in their tractors and combines they’ve had and have. The 2013 Rams are also the ones that use DEF. I’ve never owned or driven diesels pre or post emissions, so I have no experience in making the comparison for you. I can tell you this: The engine has a ton or torque to it! I can’t wait to start towing given how this engine wants to pull!

The engine’s response is very impressive. If you step on it to pass, the engine response is no different to me than a gasoline engine. At one point I had to pass an idiot who was driving and texting and going far below the posted speed limit in a hilly area on a 2 lane highway. When I stepped on it to pass, the truck moved like a bullet and did so with no effort and the truck was very stable.

Now here’s the interesting part: fuel mileage. We took delivery of the truck on a Friday, and the following Thursday we headed on our trip. I topped off the fuel tank before we left and I punched the cruise control in at 105 km/hr (65 mph) on the 400 series highways. We left the house and stopped for a health break and a coffee about 3 hours driving time from us (Barrie, Ontario). The trip computer showed that my “mileage” was 9.6 L per 100 km. For my American friends, that’s 24.5 MPG (US gallons). For my fellow Canadians who are used to our old system, that’s 29.4 MPG (Imperial gallons). I was very pleased!

I also found that the engine hated secondary highways with posted limits of 80kmh (50mph) or 90kmh (55 mph). The engine seemed to lug and shift more – it wanted to work! 105kmh (65mph) on the highway seemed to be the engine’s “sweet spot”, when not towing.

I’ve been using the truck around the city as well, and the fuel usage has dropped. City driving I’m getting 15.1 L per 100 km. Again, for my American friends, that’s 15.6 MPG (US gallons). For my fellow Canadians who are used to our old system, that’s 18.7 MPG (Imperial gallons).

Once again, I know we are in very early days. However, if our experience continues like this, I think we’ll be very pleased – can’t wait to tow! On that note, thanks again to those who helped answer questions I had leading up to our purchase. I hope you find what I’ve provided to be helpful in return for your shopping information.

Best regards from a new Ram (and our first!) owners!!!
23 REPLIES 23

Eng208
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
Congrats on your real truck. I have a 2012 model and pull 9500# TT. Just don't be surprised when you tow for the first time and spin the wheel on take off. It's an unbelievable tower. Another really nice surprise I found in mine was I not so fatigued at the end of the day. ENJOY!

I second this. I have a 2013 and just came out of a modified 12V 97. Huge difference for the better! And the 97 was a HUGE difference from the 91 12V before that!
97 Dodge 2500 Ext Cab 4X4 CTD with Goerend Transmission mod.(GVWR 8800lbs, or 4000 Kg)
95 Four Winds Fifth Wheel
99 Toyota Fourrunner V6

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
I now have almost 12,000 miles on my Ram 2500 and I check my mileage almost every time. On a recent 2200 mile trip pulling my 10,000# trailer, I consistently got 10.5-11.0 mpg. Mixed driving (I live in the mountains) consistent 17-18 mpg. My mostly highway with a little mountain driving 20.4 mpg.
The only problem that I have had was the cruise control switch went bad, it was replaced by the dealer along with a wash job and I was out of there in just a little over an hour. Yes, I am very pleased with my truck so far. I check my mileage the old fashion way, as I have found the built in mpg estimator over estimates by 1 mpg. JH

whsk
Explorer
Explorer
I have been running anywhere from 13.4 to 16.8 empty- on a recent trip with 5th wheel in tow (loaded to the gills)I got 9.4 to 11.9-9.4 was in high headwind-no lack of power anywhere-2013 Ram CC LB 4x4 6 speed stick-I am pretty happy so far-whsk

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great truck!

I believe you'll be impressed with the build quality long-term.
My '07 has over 100k miles - it's my tow vehicle, I off-road pretty hard with it, and I do not have one squeak or rattle.

As far as MPG goes, accurately measuring how much fuel you put into the tank is only half the issue. The other half is ensuring that your speedo/odometer is calibrated/accurate, something a lot of folks overlook.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
IH_Fan wrote:
One more thing I forgot to post:

The dealership told me that they bring back both 2500 and 3500's off lease from different users (small businesses and farmers). As they sell a lot of trucks, they have a lot of RV dealers that buy their used diesel Rams that come back on lease and use them to head to the US empty and bring travel trailers and 5th wheels from the RV manufacturers. Right now, their record 2500 Ram with the Cummins is either a 2005 or 2006 (I forget the exact year)that has 1.3 million KM's on it (808,800 miles) and still going strong hauling trailers from the US to Canada![/quote]

I could not be less surprised by this.

Objective opinion-- I'm no fanboy of anything (except my kids) but that is why the Cummins ISB is beloved.
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
My mileage report:
Mountain roads/highway some equipment trailer pulling 14.4 MPG
Mountain roads/highway no trailer, no load 16.48 MPG

So far, I am a happy camper. JH

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
No to beat this to death but I have exact figures for my particular truck, an 04.5, 4x4 Quad cab, 6 speed. Since day one I have kept a notebook with fuel expense. For a total distance of 132,955km or 83,096 miles I have filled 17,844.9litres/3,965 Imp Gallons or 4720.8 US Gallons. That works out to about 21mpg Imperial or 17.6 US MPG. The lowest I ever got was about 17 Imp MPG in winter over a month of city driving. Pulling a 22' travel trailer on flat ground goes about 18MPG. The best I've done is 26.1 in summer, straight highway driving. I can't grumble too much about that. I'm eyeballing the new 1500 Ram with the diesel, but I'll wait and see about real numbers, both its price and what it gets for fuel usage. My real Xmas gift would be if VW imports the Amarok. It has a real 1 ton cargo capacity and close to 7K towing capacity. Mileage runs around 35+MPG.

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
My first tank of fuel gave 16.3 MPG, some highway, mostly hills and a few miles of pulling my 24' Toyhauler in steep mountainous terrain. JH

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful truck OP; congrats!
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your real truck. I have a 2012 model and pull 9500# TT. Just don't be surprised when you tow for the first time and spin the wheel on take off. It's an unbelievable tower. Another really nice surprise I found in mine was I not so fatigued at the end of the day. ENJOY!

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your vehicle. Yes on the highway you can get great fuel economy, I've been tracking my lie-o-meter to gauge its accuracy. Typically the Error is anywhere between 3% and 5% (erring on the optimistic side), so I'm finding the RAM unit to be very accurate compared to the unit in my 2010 F-150 (seemed to be anywhere from 5% to 12% off). Driving up and down I-5 between Portland and Eugene I averaged 21.7 mpg, and that's including messed-up stopped traffic in Portland. On perfectly flat ground, I can easily see the vehicle averaging 24 or so mpg, but well here on the west coast we tend to have lots of inclines and declines and all sorts of other undulations and smart-phone-using-dumb-drivers.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

IH_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
One more thing I forgot to post:

The dealership told me that they bring back both 2500 and 3500's off lease from different users (small businesses and farmers). As they sell a lot of trucks, they have a lot of RV dealers that buy their used diesel Rams that come back on lease and use them to head to the US empty and bring travel trailers and 5th wheels from the RV manufacturers. Right now, their record 2500 Ram with the Cummins is either a 2005 or 2006 (I forget the exact year)that has 1.3 million KM's on it (808,800 miles) and still going strong hauling trailers from the US to Canada!

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats guys! Those are some high optioned trucks!
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

LimogesMan
Explorer
Explorer
Great report,I'm still debating on diesel or gas for my next truck.
It will be between the new Ram or the new Ford.
We'll decide after being the new 5er.
Cheers!
2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4X4 FX4 Lariat, 5.4L Triton V8, Precision 4.10LS
2004 Keystone Springdale 249BH 26' Fifth wheel (5800# empty)
Husky 16K dual pivot glider. TomTom One 3rd edition.
18 mpg empty, 11 mpg towing.