cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Traveling Poll, Results.....

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just arrived yesterday in Elkhart, IN the RV Capitol of the world. I traveled from SoCal starting last Wednesday and traveled thru CA, AZ, NM, OK, MO, IL and IN. I noted every RV hauler and hotshotter with a DOT sign on the side of their truck. I assumed it would be RAM, GM and then Ford way last but not so.

Results

RAM 59 Dually's, 5 SRW Total 64

Ford 10 Dually's, 5 SRW Total 15

GM 7 Dually's, 3 SRW Total 10

I stopped counting once I hit Elkhart. I have seen MANY RAM's here since yesterday with a couple fords and GM's.

My experience driving I-5 is different with the vast majority being RAM's and about 1/3 being GM's and near no Fords each trip North and south.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD
126 REPLIES 126

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:
When we picked up our camper at the dealer the salesman told me that my truck was just like the one that delivered it. I ask him what the majority of the delivery drivers where pulling with and without hesitation he said Ram. That's not a scientific survey, nor made up. Just fact from a large RV dealer who gets trailers in every day.

One can, once the September Manufacturers "RV shows for Dealers" is completed, and the Dealers have placed their orders, count the different trucks. In late October or early November when it starts to get busy the games begin. Take the family and RV and park along I80 west of South Bend, IN and start your count as the haulers head west. Or sit along I80 east of Howe, IN and do your count going east. Depending on the time or what day of the week, in any manufacturers "pick-up" yard I would see, as I said before 50/50 Ford and Ram and a few GMs hooking up. Even saw a Fummins! And then there were the oddities like Hinos, GM's "toekickers", Internationals, Petes, Volvos and did I mention GMs?
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
When we picked up our camper at the dealer the salesman told me that my truck was just like the one that delivered it. I ask him what the majority of the delivery drivers where pulling with and without hesitation he said Ram. That's not a scientific survey, nor made up. Just fact from a large RV dealer who gets trailers in every day.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
patriotgrunt wrote:

I actually might agree with the OP if it was hot shot drivers only but he mentions RVers also which makes the population size too big. RVers are not some niche market like some of the examples you use. With the popularity of RVs these days, the market will reflect a closer sampling to what sales figures show.

"I noted every RV hauler and hotshotter with a DOT sign on the side of their truck."

"I did not count anything unless it had a DOT sticker and was actually hauling a load."

Interpretation maybe, but I don't see that RV haulers and hotshotters, with DOT signs, includes regular 'ol RVers. RVers typically aren't sporting DOT signs.

But I guess we're down to semantics at this point...
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
patriotgrunt wrote:

This actually sounds objective and mirrors what I generally notice. No particular brand is dominating the roads. Call us crazy I guess.

This has got to be the award-winning comment of the thread.
You're saying the following:
A guy drives across country with a notepad and reports recorded information = NON OBJECTIVE
A guy reports on general observations of his daily commute in the same region without focusing on the same criteria = OBJECTIVE
Is it deemed objective because it "mirrors what you see"?
Funny that you followup by saying that no particular brand dominates the road when in every other post you've insinuated that Ford dominates. Hmmmmm.....

I have no problem with either fella's reports and/or observations.

I've never insisted Ford dominates. I said numbers observed should reflect sales numbers and typically Ford and Ram are neck and neck as observed. You guys keep insisting one dominates and offer numbers which are statistical anomalies. His comments are more objective because they express equal representation that reflect the market. Lets summarize the OPs numbers, out of 89 qualifying rigs, 64 were Ram. He then states on one of the busiest interstates in the country, the best selling heavy duty truck was hardly observed pulling anything. And he had to quit counting because there were too many Rams to count in Elkhart. Sorry but this is classical trolling.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
jtallon wrote:
patriotgrunt wrote:

Economic 101 would say you're wrong. BTW I'm not a fanboy of any particular brand. I've owned all three and I recently sided with you guys when another poster called Ram junk. I've done this before as a game with my boys and Ram has never dominated. It certainly has good representation but never 4x the Fords or 6x the GMs. The OP claims to hardly see a Ford doing work along I-5 both north and south. Do you know how unlikely that is? Take off the Ram colored glasses and come back to reality. The major hitch manufacturers cater to Ford's 5th wheel hitch prep package for a reason. Likely its because its a large market with lots of profit but that just the capitalist in me coming out.

Oh, I don't think Economics 101 would necessarily say he's wrong.

Niche segments of the market often don't reflect the proportions of the overall market. Niche markets, like hotshotters, often have different criteria or needs that cause them to cluster much more than the overall market. And Cummins was specifically referring to hotshotters, not ALL work trucks or RV tow vehicles.

For example, look at police cars. For a couple of decades, they were heavily dominated by Crown Victorias, with a smaller group of Caprices. They weren't at all brand proportional to overall sedan sales by brand or model.

Same observation could be made about ambulance chassis trucks being controlled by Ford for a long time. Again, sales weren't proportional to the overall vehicle brand stats.

Look at campers, namely dedicated full-timers. Do they buy fifth wheels by brand in the same proportions as the overall market sells? Lots of Forest River and Keystone entry level models? Or do they cluster in the higher-end models like DRV that better fit their needs?

Step outside vehicles for a moment, and look at computers. Windows computers have been dominant in sales for 20+ years. But if you look at the niche market of graphic designers, Macs held a commanding sales lead. Sales within that niche were not proportional to the overall market.

Now, I have no idea if Cummins12V98's numbers are reflective of the overall makeup of hotshotters. But it's certainly feasible, given that it's a very limited segment of truck owners. Those numbers may have very little resemblance to the normal market shares. But the broader you expand the scope, the more and more it will resemble the overall market breakdown.

I actually might agree with the OP if it was hot shot drivers only but he mentions RVers also which makes the population size too big. RVers are not some niche market like some of the examples you use. With the popularity of RVs these days, the market will reflect a closer sampling to what sales figures show.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
In my own personal experience in looking for TT's and 5er's being towed over the years, what I have noticed is that there "seem's" to be more newer Ram trucks towing in the past couple of years, than, let's say 6 years ago when I purchased my first ever Dodge/Ram truck...As to "how many" of each...Couldn't say..Seem's like I do see a lot of Ram's towing several cars or so, or towing grading/digging type equipment...just seeing more...

........even the wife has noticed there seems to be more Ram's towing on the Interstates than in the last 4-5 years....

As far as the new Chevy looking good, I saw a High Country (?) 3500 Dually, that I did think looked doggone nice; that was the "Bowtie Fanboy" of 35 years of owning Chevy Trucks coming out in me:)...Have to admit, it DID look good. (just think the Ram looks a tad better):B
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
patriotgrunt wrote:

This actually sounds objective and mirrors what I generally notice. No particular brand is dominating the roads. Call us crazy I guess.

This has got to be the award-winning comment of the thread.
You're saying the following:
A guy drives across country with a notepad and reports recorded information = NON OBJECTIVE
A guy reports on general observations of his daily commute in the same region without focusing on the same criteria = OBJECTIVE
Is it deemed objective because it "mirrors what you see"?
Funny that you followup by saying that no particular brand dominates the road when in every other post you've insinuated that Ford dominates. Hmmmmm.....

I have no problem with either fella's reports and/or observations.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
45Ricochet wrote:
Sure is a bunch of new recruits, err fish troll comments, err new members lately :W
Life is good eh Marty :B

When I posted this I stuck to what I saw not why one is better. I figured there would be some remarks that had nothing to do with what segment I was referring to. I think so far in general the comments have been good.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

GM's new Silverado 3500 Dually is a beautiful truck!
h

LOL
Yeah from the drivers side, but that DEF tank hanging down under the passenger seat is horrible looking IMO.
And don't tell me GM don't know where the DEF fill should be as the Colorado and Canyon have the DEF fill hole right next to the diesel hole just like Ram and Ford.
That hood fill hole is poor at best. Oops I just spilled some DEF on my fender in Arizona in August heat of 110F.
Yeah great looking trucks just like the other two brands IMO.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Sure is a bunch of new recruits, err fish troll comments, err new members lately :W
Life is good eh Marty :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
DirtyOil wrote:

I prefer Oreo Blizzards from Dairy Queen, myself. :B

I have a hard time choosing between Oreo and Strawberry-Bannana. Good thing I have a wife with similar tastes and we can share. 🙂

84.6% of statistics are made up on the spot.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Sorry if my reports that are TRUE hurt some feelings. I have said ALL three trucks are good within their warranty but this poll I did should give people in the market for a new truck and plan on keeping it after the warranty is gone something to consider.

If anyone doubts that RAM dominates "THIS" market then THEY truly are wearing rose colored glasses. I do fully understand RAM does not sell the most trucks.

I posted this with facts as "I" have seen them, anyone that knows me knows I do not fabricate anything. I have no reason to.

I have to say I don't think there has been one GM owner comment so far negatively on this thread, HMMMMMM.

Hey Cummins, I'm on the road every day with a pretty significant commute on interstate roads. I am on I24 coming to Chattanooga TN which is a major artery connecting to I75... Needless to say.. I see a huge variety of rigs on the road. Here are some observations I see on the interstate...

1) I see a lot of Gooseneck car haulers being towed by 03-08 Rams... like a crazy weird amount. I see all brands of trucks hauling these.. just a disproportional amount of 03-08 Rams.
2) Most Travel Trailers being towed by hotshots are SRW... I see more GM's than anything else followed by Ram and Ford
3) Most agriculture (horse/cattle/livestock trailers) seem to be towed by Fords
4) Most big RV's seem to pulled by Fords (F150/F250/F350's)
5) Huge increase in mid-sized SUV's towing travel trailers ... mostly Durango's and Grand Cherokee's
6) seems 9 out of 10 "work trucks" used in construction etc...are Fords..
7) I do see half tons towing heavy RV's every day, but for every Half Ton towing a big RV I will see 3-5 HD trucks from any of the big three towing
😎 I see less and less full size SUV's towing Travel Trailers
9) I still see a lot of 6.0 Powerstrokes on the road, towing, hauling, working... pretty interesting
10) Seems that every Cummins powered truck from 94-2002 is still on the road. I hardly ever see Ford's or Chevy's from the same time period... but I see 94-02 Cummins Rams all the time (rust and all)
11) I have been seeing an increase in Mid 80's (80-87) Chevy trucks on the road. Not sure why... Not seeing an increase in Fords or Dodges... just the 80-87 Chevy Trucks...strange
12) The midsize truck market is exploding...
13) Most trucks on the road are not really trucks.. They are big Honda Accords...i.e. commuter trucks hauling around 1 person
14) Just so I don't stop at 13 :B... GM's new Silverado 3500 Dually is a beautiful truck!

Just casual observations from the daily commute.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

This actually sounds objective and mirrors what I generally notice. No particular brand is dominating the roads. Call us crazy I guess. Have a great night guys; I look forward to the fun tomorrow and safe travels if you're on the road.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Sorry if my reports that are TRUE hurt some feelings. I have said ALL three trucks are good within their warranty but this poll I did should give people in the market for a new truck and plan on keeping it after the warranty is gone something to consider.

If anyone doubts that RAM dominates "THIS" market then THEY truly are wearing rose colored glasses. I do fully understand RAM does not sell the most trucks.

I posted this with facts as "I" have seen them, anyone that knows me knows I do not fabricate anything. I have no reason to.

I have to say I don't think there has been one GM owner comment so far negatively on this thread, HMMMMMM.

Hey Cummins, I'm on the road every day with a pretty significant commute on interstate roads. I am on I24 coming to Chattanooga TN which is a major artery connecting to I75... Needless to say.. I see a huge variety of rigs on the road. Here are some observations I see on the interstate...

1) I see a lot of Gooseneck car haulers being towed by 03-08 Rams... like a crazy weird amount. I see all brands of trucks hauling these.. just a disproportional amount of 03-08 Rams.
2) Most Travel Trailers being towed by hotshots are SRW... I see more GM's than anything else followed by Ram and Ford
3) Most agriculture (horse/cattle/livestock trailers) seem to be towed by Fords
4) Most big RV's seem to pulled by Fords (F150/F250/F350's)
5) Huge increase in mid-sized SUV's towing travel trailers ... mostly Durango's and Grand Cherokee's
6) seems 9 out of 10 "work trucks" used in construction etc...are Fords..
7) I do see half tons towing heavy RV's every day, but for every Half Ton towing a big RV I will see 3-5 HD trucks from any of the big three towing
😎 I see less and less full size SUV's towing Travel Trailers
9) I still see a lot of 6.0 Powerstrokes on the road, towing, hauling, working... pretty interesting
10) Seems that every Cummins powered truck from 94-2002 is still on the road. I hardly ever see Ford's or Chevy's from the same time period... but I see 94-02 Cummins Rams all the time (rust and all)
11) I have been seeing an increase in Mid 80's (80-87) Chevy trucks on the road. Not sure why... Not seeing an increase in Fords or Dodges... just the 80-87 Chevy Trucks...strange
12) The midsize truck market is exploding...
13) Most trucks on the road are not really trucks.. They are big Honda Accords...i.e. commuter trucks hauling around 1 person
14) Just so I don't stop at 13 :B... GM's new Silverado 3500 Dually is a beautiful truck!

Just casual observations from the daily commute.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Bedlam
So if you narrow down the field sufficiently, anyone can be in first place or the leader. Sounds about right.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
patriotgrunt wrote:

Economic 101 would say you're wrong. BTW I'm not a fanboy of any particular brand. I've owned all three and I recently sided with you guys when another poster called Ram junk. I've done this before as a game with my boys and Ram has never dominated. It certainly has good representation but never 4x the Fords or 6x the GMs. The OP claims to hardly see a Ford doing work along I-5 both north and south. Do you know how unlikely that is? Take off the Ram colored glasses and come back to reality. The major hitch manufacturers cater to Ford's 5th wheel hitch prep package for a reason. Likely its because its a large market with lots of profit but that just the capitalist in me coming out.

Oh, I don't think Economics 101 would necessarily say he's wrong.

Niche segments of the market often don't reflect the proportions of the overall market. Niche markets, like hotshotters, often have different criteria or needs that cause them to cluster much more than the overall market. And Cummins was specifically referring to hotshotters, not ALL work trucks or RV tow vehicles.

For example, look at police cars. For a couple of decades, they were heavily dominated by Crown Victorias, with a smaller group of Caprices. They weren't at all brand proportional to overall sedan sales by brand or model.

Same observation could be made about ambulance chassis trucks being controlled by Ford for a long time. Again, sales weren't proportional to the overall vehicle brand stats.

Look at campers, namely dedicated full-timers. Do they buy fifth wheels by brand in the same proportions as the overall market sells? Lots of Forest River and Keystone entry level models? Or do they cluster in the higher-end models like DRV that better fit their needs?

Step outside vehicles for a moment, and look at computers. Windows computers have been dominant in sales for 20+ years. But if you look at the niche market of graphic designers, Macs held a commanding sales lead. Sales within that niche were not proportional to the overall market.

Now, I have no idea if Cummins12V98's numbers are reflective of the overall makeup of hotshotters. But it's certainly feasible, given that it's a very limited segment of truck owners. Those numbers may have very little resemblance to the normal market shares. But the broader you expand the scope, the more and more it will resemble the overall market breakdown.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel