cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My trip over the Lolo Trail

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also a Nez Perce Indian trail since the beginning of time, this is where Lewis & Clark made their journey across this region. According to their book this was the absolute most difficult part of the entire trip.

Now called the Lolo Motorway, it parallels the original trail and intersects with it at several places. I'd heard that the Feds went in and smoothed the road in anticipation of of the 2005/2006 bicentenial increased traffic and renaming it the Motorway. Well, they may have renamed it but the road is as rough as it has ever been. I do know that the Feds poured money into the counties along this route to ramp up Search and Rescue equipment, overtime for Sheriff's Depts, etc. Then no one came!!! LOL

My first time over the Lolo Trail was in 1957. Yes, it will always be the Lolo Trail to me. This was before US 12 between Kamiah (CAM-e-i) ID and Lolo MT existed. My family lived in N Idaho and we loved to camp/fish White Sands Creek off of Elk Summit road south of the Powell Ranger station. We traveled the Lolo Trail from Weippe (WE-ipe) to the ranger station then out Elk Summit. It took a couple days. After US 12 was put in we could do it in one day!!

I wanted to do this trip for old time sakes as it's been many years since. I thought a lot of my Dad along the way. He taught me so much about camping and fishing, survival in the wilderness, being smart and safe in bear country. I'd also heard a bad fire went thru and wanted to see how bad.

I drove from Boise to Kamiah and left town on Glenwood Road, 22 miles on nice paved road to Lolo Creek Campground on El Dorado Creek. Long day and I was glad to be at the start of my trip.

Campground, dark, deep woods, YES!!!

Crossing over Lolo Creek.

Next day I drove 13 miles over 1 to 1 1/2 lane oiled graveled road to Canyon Jct.

With 5 choices I found lthe road I wanted.

Now the road turned into single lane, rough, rocky and rutty. I only made it 26 miles to Rocky Ridge Lake.

Lake the next morning.

I'm really wishing I had brought my canoe!!

The next 50 miles were mostly deep dark woods with little opportunities for pics but I did get some, especially of the signs.

Finally a smooth stretch of road!!.

Peeking thru some trees.

Some burned area with more rough road ahead.

Pics just don't do justice to how rough and slow going it was.

More peeking thru the trees.

This area is so huge it is inexplicable by me anyway!!

Yaaayyy more slow going!!

You do not want to meet someone on this road. I just finished .8 of a mile I would not want to back around!!.

This is called the Devil's Chair although I don't see it!!

Indian Post Office Lake. I hiked down for two small trout!!

I drove the rest of the trail to US 12 at Powell Ranger Station and camped at Squaw Creek. First, time to break out the Master Bath to get rid of 2 days of trail dust.

Then one of my favorite dinners. Liverworst brats!!

I know. I know, it's a cheapy BBQ but it is my sacrificial BBQ. I keep a very clean camp. Wash dishes after every meal and wipe down table/counters with Lysol wet wipes. Burn all paper (which I use most of). Mr Grizzly comes around he is going for the BBQ vs my camper. Then makes enough noise for me to make ready my bear spray and (hopefully not) my .44.

Next day across US 12 and the Lochsa (LOCK-saw) River to Elk Summit Road. Nearing White Sands Creek which, BTW, has now been renamed to Colt Killed Creek in appreciation of where L&C had to kill a colt to eat to stay alive. (Will still always be White Sands Creek to me). The fire damage is not looking good.

Arriving at "our" camp spot down the left side of the pack bridge has not been used in years. Burned out several years ago and smells the same.

The "new" pack bridge that is not certified safe for animals!! :R

I remember camped there when the mule skinner would load up 12-15 mules loaded with supplies for the lookout and head off across the old bridge.

OK, back up to Elk Summit Road and on to Hoodoo Lake. This is also looking bad.

But by the time I got to the lake it appeared unscathed. Really wishing for my canoe now!!!

Well, that was my trip. The only casualty was the sewer vent pipe cover knocked off by a branch so I guess the canoe wouldn't have made it either!! :B

I never needed 4X4 but high clearance and if hauling heavy like a TC low range is a must.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
49 REPLIES 49

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Great Trip Report and Photos, Thanks for posting! What an absolutely beatiful area.

Bob
Good Sam Club Life Member

seldomseensmith
Explorer II
Explorer II
That country is amazingly big, and it sure looks like a fella could get lost pretty darn easy. And the burned areas are indeed sad, but at least you can see some recovery of vegetation - maybe another generation or two and the forest may rise again. Thanks for sharing your rediscovery of the Lewis and Clark expedition.
The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nice pictures. Thanks for taking time to share.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
I must certainly agree with the other posters here. A very nice, well written report. With great photos!

Well done!
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting that. Really enjoyed it!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
That is some beautiful country.
Thanks for the great trip report.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Great TR. Isn't that where L &c's mules slid off the trail? Glad you made it safely and had a good trip.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I thoroughly enjoyed reading these and seeing your pictures. Thank you. It's our plan to travel the Magruder Road and now this will have to be on the plan too.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
DJ, you've got to quit going on these great trips without me!!
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip report ~DJ~. Well written and beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks DJ for the great trip report, I enjoyed the pictures and the commentary. How many days were you on the trail? It sure is beautiful country up there!
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice! Thanks for sharing your trip DJ!!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Great TR, DJ. Looks like a pretty cool area. How long is the trail total?
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful pictures, Thanks! It really looks a lot like some of the cascade mountains in Western Washington. There were lots of logging road there like those you drove. Some of the most fun trout fishing I ever experienced. Wonderful times spent scouting for deer and elk. Wonderful memories, thanks again.
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very enjoyable and I like the remoteness! Thanks for posting.