cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a different TV, please don't throw popcorn!

Taurus18
Explorer
Explorer
Current TV is a '09 Nissan Titan which was fine for the old 18' TT, but last spring we bought a 21' TH. Depending on how I load I'm either right at, or a couple hundred over, my GVWR 😞
Hills and/or a head wind make it work pretty hard and shift frequently, I average around 6.0 mpg when towing.
Obviously I need a 3/4 ton but here are my questions:
If I go diesel (probably used) anything to watch out for? Looks like I should avoid the 6.0L PSD, watch out for certain fuel pumps, etc?
A gasser is not out of the question, and for those who have one I'd like information about power and MPG pulling a 8,000# TH or similar.
Truck will most likely be a daily driver.
Thanks!
Greg
35 REPLIES 35

Taurus18
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Taurus18 wrote:
Well, after LOTS of research, test drives, discussions, etc. it has come down to choosing between a 2015 Ford Super Duty w/6.7 PSD and a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins. Option wise and price wise they are about even

You'll probably be very happy either way. Read up on the CP4 injection pump failures in the Powerstroke before you decide. Probably a non-issue, especially if you tend to rotate through vehicles fairly quickly, but it's something to consider if you intend to keep the truck a long time. In my area the pricing was pretty comparable between Ram and Ford as well, while the GMs were a bit more (similar MSRP, but discounted less).

Agreed. The PSD has a CP4.2 pump, I spoke with the service manager and he says they have not had any issues with this one but who knows.
It is a hard decision to make, I keep going back and forth as we plan on keeping this for at least 10 years.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Taurus18 wrote:
Well, after LOTS of research, test drives, discussions, etc. it has come down to choosing between a 2015 Ford Super Duty w/6.7 PSD and a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins. Option wise and price wise they are about even

You'll probably be very happy either way. Read up on the CP4 injection pump failures in the Powerstroke before you decide. Probably a non-issue, especially if you tend to rotate through vehicles fairly quickly, but it's something to consider if you intend to keep the truck a long time. In my area the pricing was pretty comparable between Ram and Ford as well, while the GMs were a bit more (similar MSRP, but discounted less).
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Taurus18
Explorer
Explorer

Taurus18
Explorer
Explorer
My issue is not so much with high RPMs as the tranny wanting to shift up and down, which causes the transmission temp to go up. I need to remember that I have to ability to manually downshift to keep it in one gear.
As for payload I know the truck don't care about an extra 200 pounds. I used the TH since this a RV forum, but I also have a licensed catering trailer that weighs pretty close to the same. Being licensed in Kansas makes it a commercial vehicle meaning I'm subject to DOT laws. I would guess the chances of me getting weighed are not that great, but if I did THEN the extra 200# just might matter.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with respect to payload that a heavy half or 3/4 would handle the load better, but the engine itself is more than capable. Don't be afraid of letting a gas engine run! These are not the big blocks of old, but new high tech OHC engines, and they generally rev to make power. CAFE requires auto makers to eek out every last bit of mpg, so the default program for every car/truck is to get into high gear as fast as possible, with double overdrives of 0.69:1! The only time most people see 3500 - 4000rpm is if they step on the gas from a stoplight, and that is for half a second. Now put a heavy box with no aerodynamics behind a truck and it has to work. Since many people generally are not used to the way this sounds they sometimes feel it is bad for the engine, I assure you it is not! At 3500rpm the 5.6 is just entering the meat of the powerband! It will run at 3500, 4000, 4500, with no issues, it is designed to do this, in fact, peak torque is around 4300. It is actually better for it to rev faster. The force impulse is lower on the internals, the cooling fan is running faster, the torque converter is usually able to remain locked in a lower gear. It will also feel more responsive if you have to add throttle, the engine is already there, it doesn't have to lag and downshift.

I often pull our trailer up and over mountain passes and usually manually select a lower gear before the truck wants to downshift, I will keep the rpm in the 3500-4500 range to keep the engine in the fat part of the powerband, and have no trouble maintaining a reasonable speed. I will also lift off the throttle and maintain a speed and gear on occasional flat parts of a grade rather than sifting up then back down. Recently pulled Towne pass going into and then coming back out of Death Valley. Coming out the grade goes from 0ft to just under 5000ft in about 17miles with sections ranging 7-9% 2nd gear 45mph, no problem. Truck has enough sound insulation that it isn't that noisy.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Taurus18 wrote:
Grit-dog; I would put a Titan up against any 1/2 ton out there. I was bummed that the new XD with the Cummins only has a payload rating of 17xx#, BUT the XD with the new gas motor has a payload rating of 25xx# 🙂
So that one will be a real possibility because I have had very good luck with my Nissan trucks.

Think I was saying the same thing. You will gain a couple mpg and like 50hp going to any of the new top of the line gassers but it won't be a game changer for you. Nothing wrong with the ole Titan.
Think about payload capacity in real world component strength, not just what's plastered on the door sticker. Example the new XD. Do you really think the rear half of the diesel version is built to handle 700lb less? Nope.
The mfg has a gvw limit for each class of truck to hit. So apples to apples, If the front of the truck weighs more, it gets subtracted from payload on the sticker. If anything the diesel is slightly more capable as it has some extra ballast up front to offset addl payload/tongue weight and more power/stouter drivetrain to boot.
If it sags a little too much for your taste there's about 15different options from the aftermarket to shore up the rear end a bit.
Plus I'd bet the Cummins version does NOT have lighter rear springs, it's very likely the same spring rate as the gas version if it's the same truck package.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Taurus18
Explorer
Explorer
Grit-dog; I would put a Titan up against any 1/2 ton out there. I was bummed that the new XD with the Cummins only has a payload rating of 17xx#, BUT the XD with the new gas motor has a payload rating of 25xx# 🙂
So that one will be a real possibility because I have had very good luck with my Nissan trucks.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
SouthpawHD wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
the bear II wrote:
2500/F250 crewcab longbed dually would be my choice. This gives you flexibility extra cargo room and security if you add a campershell/cap. You'll be able to tow your current TH and anything you may want in the future.

I don't believe there is a 3/4 ton dually which IMO would be overkill for the OP.

There's one in every crowd, isn't there. I'll probably need a diesel to go get groceries next week too.

Anyway, OP, lots of REASONABLE answers above. Sounds like a 3/4 ton gasser will work very well for you. Good luck.

My diesel is used for many jobs.... One of those jobs is to get grocery's! :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
the bear II wrote:
2500/F250 crewcab longbed dually would be my choice. This gives you flexibility extra cargo room and security if you add a campershell/cap. You'll be able to tow your current TH and anything you may want in the future.

I don't believe there is a 3/4 ton dually which IMO would be overkill for the OP.

There's one in every crowd, isn't there. I'll probably need a diesel to go get groceries next week too.

Anyway, OP, lots of REASONABLE answers above. Sounds like a 3/4 ton gasser will work very well for you. Good luck.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
the bear II wrote:

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, from what the OP is describing a gasser is the way to go. Over the last 10 years MPGs have improved a lot so there would be some payback to buying newer. Enough to offset the higher cost of newer? Probably not but it's still there. A lot also depends on how much daily driving is done.

The Chevy 6.0 is a really nice reliable motor in a 2500. I like my Ram 6.4 for commuting MPG and it's great for towing but will likely be at a much higher price point than the 6.0 Chevy could be had for. I was never a big fan of the Ford 5.4 - I had one and thought it was a total dog both performance and MPG wise. A buddy with the Chevy 6.0 ran circles around me.

Of course, a diesel is nice but not necessary and expensive purchase price for what you are hauling. If you do go the diesel route the 7.3 Ford was a great motor. The Chevy/GMC Duramax is great but good luck finding one. The older Dodge/Ram are great as well but hard to find.

A 2500 of anything will be night and day different from your Titan. The right truck (as in not too much or too little) for your current trailer is a 2500 gasser. You could always go for more but it's not necessary.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We tow our 8500~lb 5th wheel all over the southeast with our 5.4L F250. It's about to be subject to towing a 7500~ lb TT in about three weeks. It downshifts on every incline from O/D at 1900~rpm to direct at 2600rpm and on the steeper inclines to 3rd at 4200~rpm. perfectly normal operation and the F250 is a solid platform to tow with within it's rated capacities. We average 8.5mpg towing 65~mph. I'm happy as a puppy with two tails with it. That said, most people throw a good ol' toddler crying fit at the first hint of a downshift, get a migraine and spend $8k+ on a diesel option to solve a non-issue. A 3/4 ton gasser will do the job well but they'll all downshift to keep the engine in it's powerband. If you're ok with that, GM, Ford and Chrapsler all make good trucks. :B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
We are towing about 9200lbs with a '13 Chevy 2500 6.0. Granted, we are in Mi, but It does good. Have had the trans drop into 3rd when heading Up North just North of West Branch, Mi where there is a slow, continuous incline. 4th was just not enough to maintain speed (about 67mph), with speed dropping ever so slightly. Gave a little more gas, trans dropped into 3rd, and I could have accelerated to "X"mph if I wanted.

We have averaged about 8mpg towing if I recall. The typical 7-10mpg still applies for the gas 2500/3500. Even my Buddy's '13 Ram 2500 Cummins towing his 4 place inline snowmobile trailer only got about 12mpg (may have been 11mpg.. Can't recall for sure!) loaded with 4 sleds when we went on the guys trip this past Feb. And it was only 2 of us in the truck.

Any of the Big 3 2500/3500 Gassers will work. Only you can really decide if the diesel is worth the extra cost, regardless of buying new or used. For the right price, I would probably buy a diesel, but it would have to be one heck of a deal. BUT our needs may change down the road and maybe we would need a diesel. Though some of the newer gas trucks are rated for up to about 15k lbs I believe it is.

Good luck shopping!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
So pretty much any gasser you buy whether 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton will perform similar. With a 10klb trailer, fuel mileage will be less than 10 for sure and every decent hill will have you running high rpms downshifting a cpl gears if you want to maintain speed.
Except for the Eco boost, less downshifting.
Granted the new "big" V8s will all make 400hp but IMO, not a night and day difference from a Titan to most newer 1/2 tons.
But if you get the big, eco boost or 6.2L 1/2 ton, you're not too far of the cost of a Tradesmen ram 2400 diesel.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

stratcat
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled a TT 6850 dry weight after DW was finished around 7200lbs. Pulled with 2013 Chevy ext cab 5.3 v8 towing package equalizer hitch had no problems up hills averaged 9mpg towing. We stay around 62mph towing. Recently moved up to GMC 3500 dually duramax now can tow anything (within reason) bought used it is 2004 with 86K orig miles came with all the gear to tow 5iver tool boxes aux fuel tank. we are very happy with the find. look the good buys are out there . took us about 4 months to find.