cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise on which new truck - 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

jodiwer
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I have ordered a new 2021 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS which should arrive the end of October. We are shopping for a truck but can't decide if we should buy a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. The GVW for the Roo is 6848 lbs with a hitch weight of 688 lbs. We have checked out RAM, Chevy and Ford trucks. I find the 3/4 ton trucks difficult to get into (I am 69 yo). My husband still has nightmares of towing our previous rig, a 17,000 lb Alfa with a 3/4 ton truck. He just wants to be sure that he has all the truck necessary to easily and safely pull the new rig. We expect to travel 12 months next year. We are open to a used vehicle and like the lower price on the 1/2 ton but can afford the 3/4 ton if we need it. Any thoughts?
2019 F150 XLT Ecoboost, 3.5L V6 4x4, Max Towing package
2021 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS hybrid trailer
DH & I are boondockers thanks to our solar panels. Summer with our bicycles & kayak; winter with our skis & snowboards.
97 REPLIES 97

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ You still don't get it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
ksss wrote:
Am I the only one that finds it interesting that there are roads in the US where you can drive a half ton pickup on but cant legally drive a 2500? I think that is worth a conversation or maybe I just need to get out more.

Nah, I travel back east and down south for work quite a bit. We got it good here.

No doubt about that! I would just say that with the number one selling vehicle for years being a pickup truck (granted most are probably a half ton or lighter) you would think the law which restricts travel would require more than simply all pickups with a GVW in the 3/4 ton range as being commercial.

Perhaps a solution would be any vehicle with a GVW of 14K or above would be a better definition of a commercial vehicle. But in fairness, I don't know first hand the issues in these places, but it seems irrational that all 3/4 -1 tons are treated as commercial when so many are not used in a commercial means. Yet 14K and above are much more likely to commercial.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
Am I the only one that finds it interesting that there are roads in the US where you can drive a half ton pickup on but cant legally drive a 2500? I think that is worth a conversation or maybe I just need to get out more.

Nah, I travel back east and down south for work quite a bit. We got it good here.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:

x2

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geo*Boy wrote:
Well the OP bought a truck 3 pages ago, so why are you guys still discussing/arguing this?:h

First time on RV.net? The original question doesn't matter, this is a good ole fashioned pissing contest!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You guys haven’t experienced real population density if you’re trying to overanalyze the justification of the restrictions.
Consider it a “car route”, just like there are truck routes.
If commercial vehicles (and how does one actually differentiate), not high axle weight, just added traffic volume, clog up certain roads, it’s a mess. Same goes for if you’re pulling your camper.
If you don’t understand it, consider yourself lucky you dont live there.
And if you live there, you should understand that you’re not special.

blt2ski
My 2500 wieghs 4800 lbs empty. So some of us are not worried about where I can or can not drive. My swag would be, that said roads have not been designed per say to handle the wieght on a day to day basis of larger vehicles. Or they just plain don't want big trucks unless they are doing a delivery or equal on it.
More than one way right or wrongly to look at this.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
Well the OP bought a truck 3 pages ago, so why are you guys still discussing/arguing this?:h

it's like fishing toss something out and see if you get a bite
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

32vld
Explorer
Explorer
NY state as long as the pickup weighs 6,000 lb or less it can have passenger plates and
be used on state parkways.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ksss wrote:
Well the law should be reflective of society norms. They had 30 years to adapt the law to the current applications of pickup trucks. But hey, not my circus.

Yup, that would be too easy.
Plus, it would give people one less thing to btich about...

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Well the law should be reflective of society norms. They had 30 years to adapt the law to the current applications of pickup trucks. But hey, not my circus.
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ksss wrote:

More the latter I guess, I honestly had no idea some cities had roads that you could not drive a 2500 pickup on. I then added an other reason to be happy where I live.

I can appreciate that. God willing, we will be livin in the Spokane/panhandle area within a year!