cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise on which new truck - 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

jodiwer
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I have ordered a new 2021 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS which should arrive the end of October. We are shopping for a truck but can't decide if we should buy a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. The GVW for the Roo is 6848 lbs with a hitch weight of 688 lbs. We have checked out RAM, Chevy and Ford trucks. I find the 3/4 ton trucks difficult to get into (I am 69 yo). My husband still has nightmares of towing our previous rig, a 17,000 lb Alfa with a 3/4 ton truck. He just wants to be sure that he has all the truck necessary to easily and safely pull the new rig. We expect to travel 12 months next year. We are open to a used vehicle and like the lower price on the 1/2 ton but can afford the 3/4 ton if we need it. Any thoughts?
2019 F150 XLT Ecoboost, 3.5L V6 4x4, Max Towing package
2021 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS hybrid trailer
DH & I are boondockers thanks to our solar panels. Summer with our bicycles & kayak; winter with our skis & snowboards.
97 REPLIES 97

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Y’all have probably succeeded in confusing yet another new member.
Given especially statements like it’s unsafe without D or E tires!

Well buddy I DO have experience towing with soft sidewalk tires and rolled over going thru Portland.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Congrats on finding a really nice truck!! That model of 150 should do a great job of towing, and a fun to drive truck, under all situations. Post a pic of it when you have time.

Jerry

jodiwer
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we bought a truck. Didn't intend to this quickly but this one came through a friend who knew we were looking. It's a 2019 F150 XLT, 3.5L V6 4x4 with the Max Towing package, 20" tires and Ecoboost. It has 12,700 miles on it. One owner and a clean Car Fax record. As someone pointed out, we have had several rigs and since the Alfa 5th wheel, have stayed down, not up. So we believe this will be sufficient for us. Besides with our 10th & 11th grandkids on the way, I don't think we'll be on the road for long periods (or distance) except for the trip we plan next year. We'd miss them too much. So we decided a 1/2 ton was the way to go, especially as we live and drive in downtown Phoenix. Also, I am retiring next March so we decided one vehicle will be enough for us. Thank you all for your comments and thoughtful input. It was quite helpful. Happy trails!
DH & I are boondockers thanks to our solar panels. Summer with our bicycles & kayak; winter with our skis & snowboards.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
You said you guys will be pulling 12 months out of the year. A half ton is designed for occasional light towing. A 3/4 or 1 ton is designed to be worked to the max capabilities every day of the year. If I was planning on towing 12 months out of the year, I would get a bigger truck even though you don't necessarily "need" the payload or tow ratings of the bigger truck (at least not right now!) For the minimal price difference, you are getting substantially more truck. Heavier frame, brakes, wheels/tires, cooling system, etc. Your towing experience will be much more comfortable in a heavier truck as well. You'll get less push/pull in a heavier truck then a lighter truck.

This is probably the best advice you've gotten. Personally, I'd rather be on the lower end of a tow vehicles capabilities than the upper end if at all possible.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Y’all have probably succeeded in confusing yet another new member.
Given especially statements like it’s unsafe without D or E tires!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will spend $$$ upgrading the 1/2 ton to do the job SAFELY like "D" or "E" tires and then there are air springs to consider.......

People 99% of the time go to a larger RV so be prepared for that.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, lots of good advice here.

Most half tons will easily pull a hybrid trailer and stuff for 2 people.

You said you guys will be pulling 12 months out of the year. A half ton is designed for occasional light towing. A 3/4 or 1 ton is designed to be worked to the max capabilities every day of the year. If I was planning on towing 12 months out of the year, I would get a bigger truck even though you don't necessarily "need" the payload or tow ratings of the bigger truck (at least not right now!) For the minimal price difference, you are getting substantially more truck. Heavier frame, brakes, wheels/tires, cooling system, etc. Your towing experience will be much more comfortable in a heavier truck as well. You'll get less push/pull in a heavier truck then a lighter truck.

Higher end trucks with the telescoping running boards are very nice. One of the guys in our camping group has a higher end F350 dually with the automatic running boards, they make it super easy to climb in. The ride comfort of these newer trucks is spectacular too. My coil suspension Ram is very smooth, especially towing. That F350 dually I mentioned earlier is almost unbelievable how smooth it rides.

A half ton might work, but a 3/4 or 1 ton will do it so much better in every facet you can imagine. Good luck, drive safe and enjoy camping!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled our similar weight hybrid for about 4 years with a 255hp 1996 Suburban half ton.

We have since moved to our "new" 97 3/4 ton Suburban, 290hp big block. Huge improvement, but the old 1500 mostly only struggled on hills.

My FIL towed a version of the Roo 235 with his 04 Tahoe 5.3 for years, now they have a similar size/weight hard side with the same truck.

Honestly, I think any of the modern half tons properly equipped would do the job. The are vastly superior to our old 1500 Suburban.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
jodiwer wrote:
Lot's of advice to consider - this has been very helpful. Since we won't be traveling until spring, we're going to take our time making this decision. We have never bought a new vehicle - we always buy used so that will give us time to find a good one. My husband says that if we get a 3/4 ton, we will get the electric running board that drops down lower than the other ones - thanks Me Again for that tip.

To those who suggested using the Tundra to tow - we looked up the towing capacity of our specific truck by VIN and it is 6800 so way too low for this rig. From what we have read, one should never tow more that 80% of the tow capacity of a vehicle for safety. So we would need at minimum a rating of 8750 and would prefer much more. We will also watch the payload as suggested if we decide on a 1/2 ton.

Payload matters more than the brochure tow rating, but both Ford and GM have 1/2 ton trucks with more than 2000 lbs payload and well over 10K rated towing. Just need them optioned right.

As far as a 3/4 ton, don't dismiss a single rear wheel one ton when looking. For the last few years, they are pretty mush the same except the one ton has one more big rear leaf and has more payload. But ride is similar (at least for Ford and GM, not sure about Ram). But yeah, running boards needed (my wife needs them on our 1/2 ton). You don't need a one ton for what you have, but hey. That may change too 🙂
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
Since you're getting a hybrid, here are a couple of suggestions to be able to keep it cooler during the summer months, plus block out the light if your late sleepers.

Company called pop us gizmos makes bunk end covers to help shield the bunks from the summer heat and we cut and put reflectix in the bunk end windows, again for the same reasons.

Those two things alone will keep you about 10-15 deg cooler in the summer. We have a pop-up and it has made a world of difference for us

+ 1 for the gizmos and reflectix. Thay also work to keep the tent ends warmer in the winter. So its a win win. Bear with them if ordering though, the covid has everyone getting them and they are a bit backed up. But worth waiting for.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're getting a hybrid, here are a couple of suggestions to be able to keep it cooler during the summer months, plus block out the light if your late sleepers.

Company called pop us gizmos makes bunk end covers to help shield the bunks from the summer heat and we cut and put reflectix in the bunk end windows, again for the same reasons.

Those two things alone will keep you about 10-15 deg cooler in the summer. We have a pop-up and it has made a world of difference for us
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Nice thing woth the new trucks, no matter if you get a 1/2 or 3/4 is to get the back up hitch camara. I think on the chevys its standerd on the 2500s. I would never again buy anthing that does not have this. It so easy to line up the trailer and hook up. It has the back up camra that lines up the hitch, then you can switch to an o erhead hitch veiw to put the ball exactly where you want it. Addtionally it automatically hits the e break for you so you dont rock. It also cycles through the lights so you can check them by yourself on the TT. Check out the new rigs , and see whats good for you guys. Have fun!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

jodiwer
Explorer
Explorer
Lot's of advice to consider - this has been very helpful. Since we won't be traveling until spring, we're going to take our time making this decision. We have never bought a new vehicle - we always buy used so that will give us time to find a good one. My husband says that if we get a 3/4 ton, we will get the electric running board that drops down lower than the other ones - thanks Me Again for that tip.

To those who suggested using the Tundra to tow - we looked up the towing capacity of our specific truck by VIN and it is 6800 so way too low for this rig. From what we have read, one should never tow more that 80% of the tow capacity of a vehicle for safety. So we would need at minimum a rating of 8750 and would prefer much more. We will also watch the payload as suggested if we decide on a 1/2 ton.

And a note to Lwiddis - I may not be the primary driver but I will drive it a lot and thankfully, my husband sees me as a partner in decisions such as this. And he is the voice behind me in this discussion.

Snowwolfe
Explorer
Explorer
As far as entering the truck, if you stay with the higher trim options you can add "automatic" running boards. These will extend and retract when you open the doors. In my experience they will drop lower than the fixed style of running boards making it easier to enter.
Its a lot cheaper to order the truck with these than to add them later. Usually costs about $1K as factory option or pay $1500 plus install after the fact. The ones from the factory will have a 3 year warranty as well.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
kellem wrote:
Half tons ride nice and look cute but don't ask them to work.....get the 3/4.

Or get a Ram 2500 with coil springs on the rear and rides like a half ton, best of both worlds.

To the OP just have your husband put running boards on the truck and you'll be fine. All the new trucks sit higher nowadays

I can tell you for a fact that my `18 Ram 2500 DOESN'T ride near as smooth as my previous 1/2T Ford. Get a max tow F-150 with the 3.5 EB and you'll have more than enough truck for that trailer
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation