Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Chevy/GMC Advice

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Need some constructive advice please
We currently have a well maintained 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 extended cab (not crew) and short 6.5 bed with 6.0 gas engine and 4.11 rear that has 126K miles. Tow rating is listed at 10.5 K. We tow a travel trailer that has a dry weight of 8900 and is 38 feet long so weโ€™re really maxed out and the truck has some difficulty on hills and towing stability is marginal and requires much more handling correction then Iโ€™ve ever experienced in past 3 TTโ€™s (all smaller) weโ€™ve towed with this truck. Itโ€™s been a great truck.

Looking at a new truck and comparing models and we do not want a Diesel engine. That being said Chevy/GM has the same 2500HD crew cab 4x4 short bed with the 4.11 rear that is now rated at 13K tow rating.

Towing with a Reese Stait Line WDH that is brand new.

Questions:
1) Would we be gaining anything in the stability and tow power over our current truck?
2) Does the age of the current truck effect its tow ability?
3) Why do the newer Chevy/GM trucks equipped the same have a higher tow rating?
4) Will waiting on the new 6.2 Chevy gas engine thatโ€™s rumored be better?
5) Is the length of our TT matched with our current truck adding to the handling issues?

Lots of questions. Not nearly ready to drop the coin on a new truck yet just doing some homework and studying during this long winter.
Please understand Iโ€™m not against diesel, just donโ€™t like the additional maintenance needed and the added upfront cost is substantial.
Iโ€™m not against Ford either except Iโ€™m not sold on the aluminum bed. Yes I know Chevy is adding more aluminum body parts now but I think the bed should be steel.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
34 REPLIES 34

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW I've had two 2500HD cc/4x4/sb GM trucks, an 04.5 and a 2015.5 With both I tow a 32ft TT, 9K lbs and reese sway control. Never have I had any stability issues towing these trailers, including many trips up and down the columbia river gorge with wind gust to 50mph or so.

IIRC the extended cab has a shorter wheelbase than the CC, so that may impact stability. But a hitch not set up optimally can also have a dramatic effect on stability. And for a trailer as long as the OP mentioned, IMHO you need something that doesn't use the accy friction control for sway. Dual cam, equalizer propride/hensley.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
2003silverado wrote:
1. Yes

2. Probably not enough to notice.

3. Your vintage of 6.0 engine has 300hp and 360 torque. The newer gen 6.0 has 360hp and 380 torque. Also, the 6 speed transmission that has been mated to the 6.0 liter since 2007 is a vast improvement over your 4 speed. Also, the newer trucks have a stronger frame, larger brakes, and class V receiver.

4. If the 6.2 ends up in the HD trucks, it will be better but at this point that is purely speculation.

5. Yes, the longer the trailer the more likely sway will be a concern.

Thank you for the great answers and input. Not quite ready to get rid of my 05 since itโ€™s been a dependable good truck. Hopefully Iโ€™ll get 13 plus years out of the next one. Itโ€™s unbelievable the prices on these trucks.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, you will have a few great advantages with the new truck you are considering. The crew cab version will add to stability with it's longer wheelbase than your current extended cab. With an extra 60 horsepower and two more transmission gears, along with grade braking, you'll be far better off with the newer truck.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
But, Fish, that 92, unless it was a 6.5 TurdboDiesel should have been one of the most reliable trucks.
In my experience GMT800s were a clear leader in reliability and simplicity.

My '92 was a TBI 350 and was an extremely reliable truck, but I just never liked (and still don't) how that generation truck looked.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The suspension and brake upgrades made in 2011 are responsible for a much improved towing experience over the older trucks. The upgrade is absolutely noticeable and in my view worth the upgrade. The 6.0 while not specing as well is still competitive with the other two going up the hill. The 6.0 with the 6 speed is a nice combo. I have had two of them and pulled the heck out of them. They are rock solid. The 2020 HD trucks may provide something better of course but the current 6.0 doesn't give up enough to either of the other two to matter from a performance stand point.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But, Fish, that 92, unless it was a 6.5 TurdboDiesel should have been one of the most reliable trucks.
In my experience GMT800s were a clear leader in reliability and simplicity.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I agree with fish, kind of, lol. Minus the personal opinion, looks aren't part of the OPs question.
There are more capable HD gassers, namely both Ford and Ram, but ONLY in the power department. Chassis wise they are all on par.
And the difference isn't like from gas to diesel, it's nominal.
Since the OP is not ready to buy yet, both Ford and GM have stuff in the works to one up the Ram, the current hp leader.
IMO a hot rodded 6.2 LS motor isn't the answer, but a big block 7.xx ford gasser may stomp the other two right out of the box.
That should be a 500/500 engine at sea level!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2003silverado wrote:
1. Yes

2. Probably not enough to notice.

3. Your vintage of 6.0 engine has 300hp and 360 torque. The newer gen 6.0 has 360hp and 380 torque. Also, the 6 speed transmission that has been mated to the 6.0 liter since 2007 is a vast improvement over your 4 speed. Also, the newer trucks have a stronger frame, larger brakes, and class V receiver.

4. If the 6.2 ends up in the HD trucks, it will be better but at this point that is purely speculation.

5. Yes, the longer the trailer the more likely sway will be a concern.

Exactly this^.
For #2 I'd say YES.
Although for #2, the answer to #3 is part of it. The minor nuances of a 13 year old vehicle from a physical and mechanical condtion standpoint DO affect the vehicle's ability, or at least the ease or comfort level.
Well maintained is one thing, new is another. Just because components haven't reached their service life does not mean their capacities may not be somewhat reduced.
But if the truck really is 90% or more up to snuff compared to a new 2005 then this is only a small factor.

We had your same basic truck, 02, but crew cab diesel. At those well maintained miles I did not think it lost ANY capability. Sold it with about 150k. BUT there were subtle things that were getting worn.
Compared to the same truck that was beat on and not well maintained, the 150k truck we had was way more capable.

A new one will be noticeably "nicer" which will add to your perception that it is doing the job better. And as mentioned, the capabilities are also somewhat increased compared to your truck.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Current Trucks:

If you want to stay with a gas I would give a Super Duty with the 6.2 and 4:30 gears a hard look.

The current GM 6.0 and transmission I'm not convinced you'll notice a big improvement.

Future Trucks:

Rumor has it that Ford will be rolling out a new 7.3 gas engine for the Super Duty line.

GM is working on a larger displacement gas engine too, but I'm not a fan of the 2019 half ton styling but not sure how much of the looks will be included in the HD trucks.

Fish is you are not going to buy a GM truck why would you care how it looks? My thinking is all 3 brands looks as good as the others just different. I feel this way about the others on this forum that what they have is the only way. However liking what your money buys is a good thing.

chevman

chevman

I purchased a 92 chevy truck that I really didn't like the looks even after 7 years of ownership. I'll never make that mistake again.

Previous truck was a 87 chevy that I loved the looks and loved the truck

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Current Trucks:

If you want to stay with a gas I would give a Super Duty with the 6.2 and 4:30 gears a hard look.

The current GM 6.0 and transmission I'm not convinced you'll notice a big improvement.

Future Trucks:

Rumor has it that Ford will be rolling out a new 7.3 gas engine for the Super Duty line.

GM is working on a larger displacement gas engine too, but I'm not a fan of the 2019 half ton styling but not sure how much of the looks will be included in the HD trucks.

Fish is you are not going to buy a GM truck why would you care how it looks? My thinking is all 3 brands looks as good as the others just different. I feel this way about the others on this forum that what they have is the only way. However liking what your money buys is a good thing.

chevman

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Current Trucks:

Future Trucks:

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We went from 2003 GM Xcab, SB, 6.0L 3:73 four-speed w/BFG 265 tires, to a 2015 GM, Xcab, SB, 6.0L 4:11, six-speed - BFG 285 tires. The difference is quite a bit in both handling and operating on highway and in the back country. I also believe the suspension has a bit more beef ... and a bit better MPG as well.

We put 214,000 miles on the 2003, and it was not nearly worn out - but we cross-country travel a lot, and were more concerned with the little things wearing out (wires, gauges, electronic glitches, etc) the small easy to repair things that stop you dead when you're way off the highway ... so we traded in.

We haul a 3500 lb Truck Camper - so, a bit different that a TT. But the comparison with same camper on the newer truck, similar engine etc - performance was improved definitely enough to notice driving it, regardless of "any numbers one might dig up" -- Of course, the numbers matter for comparison between vehicles, but I evaluate my trucks under work conditions on the road. We'd upgrade again under the same conditions. That 6.0L engine is a true workhorse.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the very same truck with 97000 miles, same rearend ratio. I have towed 2 dikfferent TT with this truck however the longest was 24ft.
You are really pushing thelimit with the length of your current TT. I would say your only hope is a Hensley type hitch. I've always used Equalizer type hitches with shorter TT. The other main problem you have is that you have too much TT for the truck. I would not consider any weight load over a loaded 6000 lbs for my truck and then it really struggles in the hills of Colorado. That's one reason I have the TC I now have.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
(Post deleted)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to consider a Hensley or Propride hitch. Either hitch will totally eliminate sway and dramatically change your towing experience. Those hitches, while expensive, are much cheaper than a new truck that will not change your towing experience to a great degree. Your current truck still has much life left.