Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New camper/hitch question

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,
We currently have a 23' Coachmen (about 5300lbs. ready to roll) with a Reese Pro SC hitch that has built in sway control through friction pads in the spring bar holders. I love how simple the hitch is to hook up and it does a great job with the 23footer. We are upgrading to a Passport 2910 BH (5354lbs dry, prob. about 6800 lbs.ready to roll). I like the WD hitches with the sway control built in, are the "Cam style" hitches better at sway control than the friction style?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Jayco 28U which is similar in size and weight ( a little less). We have found the Equalizer to be very effective during the 8000 miles we've towed with this combo in the last year. Getting the setup corret makes a huge difference in the towing experience.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Friction based WDH systems are at the low end of sway control options, but are often all that is needed when you have proper set up and loading. I consider the dual cam system more heavy duty than all friction based systems.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I think the engineering is better on the Reese Dual Cam system as noted by Skip but users of the Reese and the Equalizer system all report very good control. It is probably a toss up on effectiveness but both are superior to the older and cheaper friction bar sway control. There is another class of sway control above these ($$) that is very expensive but owners of it report it as flawless in sway control. I have never had the dollars to try it though and render an opinion for myself.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Reese Strait Line/Dual Cam and Equal=i-zer 4-pt systems both perform very well for about the same cost. Their designs are quite different, but costs and performance are very similar. Owners of both are very satisfied. EQ 1000 or Reese 1000-1200 pound would be what I recommend for you.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
All anti sway systems do what they do by making the connection between trailer and tow vehicle stiffer (harder to bend in a turn). The Duel Cam exerts more than four times the amount of stiffening force as the Friction system (talking about the old friction BAR stand alone). I have not seen specifications for the friction system you have but it's not likely it will have as much force as the DC system. The CAM system has another advantage in that friction systems use the same force to KEEP a connection bent as they do to PREVENT it from bending. The Duel Cam system does not have much force preventing it from straightening once bent and only uses it's force to prevent bending. It is selective about WHEN force is applied. probably not a huge deal in the real world but in theory at least, it's a better system. (Commercial over 🙂 )
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sway control starts with a balanced trailer...but, yes, the cam style hitches like Reese Strait Line are better than a friction bar.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro