cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ford 7.3 Gas

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I’m planning to get back to truck camping by fall and spend a lot of time seeing the country. Life is short and I’m not getting any younger.
I’ve had many trucks and campers and have been a loyal Dodge/Ram Cummins fan.
However, with the cost and complexity of the new diesels I’m considering a gas engine.
I like simple, basic and reliable and the new Ford 7.3 seems to be that engine.
With old school cam in block design, it’s about as basic as they come.
The power numbers seem pretty impressive (430 hp/475 to) and it makes over 400 ft/lb of torque below 2000 rpm. The 10 speed transmission will make it even better.
It adds about $1700 to the standard gas package so about $8k less than the diesel.
It’s also a lighter and smaller engine due to the design which will help payload.
They are starting to show up at the dealers but it’s a new design so really no long term reviews yet.
I would likely get the DRW and would prefer 4:30 gears but may have to order as 3:73 seem to be common.
I’m thinking the only negative is the fuel mileage but the new diesels aren’t getting what they used to and gas is much cheaper as well as the $8k savings of buying a diesel.
Also, no $10-15k out of pocket cost to replace the fuel system when the pump fails and contaminates the entire system.
I was really disappointed to see Ram switch to the CP4 fuel pump for 2019.
This may be a great TC hauler.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
68 REPLIES 68

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ticki2 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
The tires on my F350 dually give it 18,000 lb capacity.
Rear axle was derated from what I heard. so taxable 14,900lb is way below actual capabilities.
That still doesn't show their knowledge about TC use.

Please post the stock tires and wheels you have on your f350 drw thatt are rated at 4500 pounds each in dual application.

Hold your horses...
Add up all 6 tires is what he meant.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:

Nor yours, since a good front sway bar will help control body roll which is the best possible thing hauling a TC.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:

Please post the stock tires and wheels you have on your f350 drw thatt are rated at 4500 pounds each in dual application.

Your math is way off, but HERE is the tire in question.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Rear axle was derated from what I heard. so taxable 14,900lb is way below actual capabilities.

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:

I am not a fanboy of any brand, only look for what will do the job for me. What does impress me about FORD is that they offer up everything in that brochure and you cannot find that kind of depth of information with RAM or Chevy, of which I have owned both.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think Ford knows plenty. They are playing follow the leader with other manufacturers and sticking to a 14K GVWR limit even though my 2010 F450 came with a 14,500 GVWR. I think a more realistic GVWR for the newer DRW trucks is probably closer to 15K. Sure, they may have to add to the spring pack, but otherwise, I think it would be fine.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When Ford build great trucks, they know squat about TC per my experience.
When I was ordering my dually, the camper option was offering stiffer front sway bar.
My camper was taking weight off front axle, so their offer did opposite to what should be done.
Their cargo capacity charts don't offer rear axle capacity, making them useless for TC application.
You have to do your own checking.
Don't have all the notes handy now, but my F350 Supercab dually can legally have 6400lb cargo on rear axle (and it was carrying more).
The chart above says 4600/5600 lb.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fish mojo wrote:
What type of payload rating are you seeing for F350 SRW Lariat with the 7.3/ 4.30 gear combination? I’d like to get rid of my class C MH and get a non-slide TC. I really like what I read about the new Lance 960 or Cirrus 920 or AF865. All of these will push 3000 plus dry weight. Doable with the 7.3 SRW?

Ford has all this great info, no guessing required, in this brochure, page 13 to be exact.
Truck Slide in Camper ratings
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Fish mojo wrote:
What type of payload rating are you seeing for F350 SRW Lariat with the 7.3/ 4.30 gear combination? I’d like to get rid of my class C MH and get a non-slide TC. I really like what I read about the new Lance 960 or Cirrus 920 or AF865. All of these will push 3000 plus dry weight. Doable with the 7.3 SRW?

The AF-865 with normal accessories weighed out right at 4400# and not muck is known about the Lance 960 other than the Lance buyers guide had it at 4000+ and I think the Cyrus is right there also but that's a guess..Ready to camp,Any of these would probably put my DRW over GVWR loaded up with what I carry and 4600# of payload.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fish mojo wrote:

Welcome back.

Somewhere ~ 4500 lbs. You’ll be fine, i am running a Eagle Cap 850 which is heavier than any of the campers you listed. Truck handles it fine and is under RAWR. The new ten speeds are sweet.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fish mojo wrote:

Been doable with every long bed HD pickup for years. New ones aren’t magical. But they’re nicer than an old truck and generally stiffer frame. Same principles apply whether it’s a 2021 or a 2001 F350. And they’ll handle about the same.
If you’re a door tag watcher, truck campers and srw trucks aren’t for you.

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
egarant wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
egarant wrote:

I pulled out the Truck Camper Specification sheet for both trucks:
2013 RAM 4,784 lbs
2021 FORD 5,071 lbs

So the FORD gains me overal 666 lbs in cargo capacity which includes 287 lbs of truck camper carrying capacity

That is due Ford switching in 2017 to aluminum beds and heat-treated frames, what saved about 500lb from truck weight.
Nothing to do with engine.
Talking about huge HP in newer engines - you can't use it if you can't cool it. Gas engines produce about twice the heat diesels do.

FYI the entire truck body, not just the bed is made of aluminum. I was shocked on how light the hood was compared to my RAM.

Yep. Ford took the weight savings from the body and put it in the chassis. Our new gasser is 600# heavier than our previous diesel. They new chassis handles the TC weight much better. The aluminum tail gate-with old man step-unfortunately is much heavier also. I dread removing it each season.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:

FYI the entire truck body, not just the bed is made of aluminum. I was shocked on how light the hood was compared to my RAM.

"aluminum bed" is simplification as that what counts the most for TC use.
I have tailgate without the step and I could lift it on 1 finger.
Than you see youtube showing how carwash ripped radio antenna from aluminum fender.
So comparing my 2017 F350 to previous 2006 F350 is light years apart.