cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PopUp

mikeschu42
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have been back and forth trying to figure out what kind of camper to get over the last 2 years. Started looking at pop-ups, then went through just about every option all the way up to a 38' fifth wheeler. Finally made the decision to start small with a Rockwood 1940LTD pop-up that we are picking up on Friday. We're super excited to pickup our new camper and get out in the woods.

Any recommendations on essential things to do to/with a brand new pop-up camper? We've been tent camping for many years, but have no experience with campers (yet!)
------------------------
2016 Rockwood 1940LTD
2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R
16 REPLIES 16

mikeschu42
Explorer
Explorer
fmattox73 wrote:
A battery cut off switch would be good, a simple solution is a 20 amp fuse with a water proof fuse holder inline on the positive side of the battery.
You didn't mention it, but does the Rockwood have brakes?

I like the idea of using an inline fuse as a cheap alternative to a battery cut off switch - thanks!

The Rockwood does have brakes, makes towing it so much more comfortable/safe.
------------------------
2016 Rockwood 1940LTD
2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R

fmattox73
Explorer
Explorer
A battery cut off switch would be good, a simple solution is a 20 amp fuse with a water proof fuse holder inline on the positive side of the battery.
You didn't mention it, but does the Rockwood have brakes?

mikeschu42
Explorer
Explorer
Happy to report that we had no trouble picking up the trailer from the dealership, and our first camping trip was a success.

My initial thoughts on camping with the pop-up:
- Most of the drawers are too small to be of any real use
- The sink is more trouble than it's worth. I hooked up to the city water connection so that we had running water. Tried washing a couple dishes with it, and it was just a pain to bring stuff in from outside, and keep the water inside the sink. I'm considering a 'camp kitchen' to setup outside
- The water had a strange taste to it... not sure if this was from our new potable water hose, or just how the campground water tastes. I will have to get an inline water filter to see if this helps.
- The propane detector is wired between the battery and the circuit/fuse panel - so when the trailer is being stored, it will be a constant drain on the battery. I'm considering installing a battery cut-off switch.
- Smoke alarm kept going off when the wind would blow smoke from the campfire towards the trailer. Ended up taking the battery out of it. Can't say I really understand the need for a smoke detector in a pop-up trailer.

Overall, we're enjoying the camper so far, and can't wait to get back out in the woods.
------------------------
2016 Rockwood 1940LTD
2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
If your Pup has AC, get an inline low/high voltage monitor, our AC was fried due to low voltage at a campsite once .. very costly. We really like having a mat outside our door and a bin to put shoes in that stays right outside the door.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

NorthernGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Great choice on the Rockwood 1940! We have the same model. The best way is to make lists of all the things that you forgot to bring while you are camping. Finally, one day, there will be nothing on that list. Dave + Denise

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good plan.

mikeschu42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the suggestions - good stuff. Our first camping trip is setup for a KOA about an hour away from home, and it's close to a sizable town so I think we should be fine. I'm hoping to get out the door with as little gear as possible for this first trip and figure on making a list of 'must haves' and 'would be nice' stuff.
------------------------
2016 Rockwood 1940LTD
2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
My goal is to take as little as possible. Of course my wife's goal is to take everything we own. I would start with the essentials that you need to set up, cook, eat, and clean. As was stated, chocks, boards, water hose, gray water containment for the set-up. We started with disposables for eating before getting a dollar store set of plates, cups, and bowls. We have a cheap set of pots/pans along with a few cooking tools. We use the Lysol wipes to do most of the cleaning except for the cooking/eating items that are washed.

Also don't forget a basic took kit with some electrical tape and duct tape. Also make sure you have a lug wrench that fits your Pup's lug nuts and jack that will work. Some Pups can be very low to the ground with a flat tire.

Remember that storage space is usually very minimal in a Pup. I suggest at the beginning of every season for a few years, take everything out of the Pup and go over it with a critical eye to decide if it is something you really need. Unless it is something like tools or a first aid kit, if we didn't use it the last season, it is probably coming out.

Even though you have been camping a while, you may want to make your first trip close to home and a store. Once you determine what you forgot and what you need to buy, you can get them while you are still camping.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
An electric 'cube' heater can be handy if the temps drop. If you are camping with electric hookups, the cube will be much quieter and will maintain more even temperature than the furnace.

Maybe take some light gloves for pulling out and pushing in the bunk ends. I got splinters from the plywood bunk trays on the Starcraft we had in the late '90s. Not sure what Rockwood uses.

Always chock the trailer wheels before you unhitch, so it can't roll downhill.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
My wife just got a video on her phone of our 2 year old granddaughter camping this long weekend. She loved it. The family tradition continues. I hope you will have as much fun as we did with our tent trailer. They are called tent trailers in Canada.
Adventure before dementia

Cloughfam
Explorer
Explorer
You really just need stuff to cook and eat with. Some bathing stuff and some entertainment stuff. Specifics are up to you. Most people are amazed at how much they pack initially versus how much they use. I know I carry a lot of stuff "in case" I need it.

Congratz and have tons of fun!
2011 Jayco JayFlight 25BHS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X2 HEMI
Me, the wife, 2 sons...

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to get a good hitch lock.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I would start by putting all of your tent camping items in the pop-up camper. You may even find taking along your original tent to be of help also. You'll want to get your Basics like dishes plates cookware. You will also want to get your clothing items personal hygiene items together also.

One thing they don't teach you when you get a pop-up is how to set up the awning. We were fortunate the first time we went camping with our pop up that and it good neighbor camper came running over to us and gave us a tip. He told us to set the awning out first before cranking it up because reaching to the top of the awning when it's already raised is really difficult to do. So from the very first time we went out we started doing it that way so set the awning out first and then crank up the top. You'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.

Most important have a lot of fun and enjoy

manualman
Explorer II
Explorer II
First camper of any sort? If so,

Tongue battery if the deal didn't include it. Group27 deep cycle for beginners.
Potable water hose.
Chocks and wood blocks for leveling side to side.(leave fancier stuff for later)
Small carpenter's level. Place on floor inside door. Side-side first, then front to back.
30 to 15 AC adapter to power and charge at home (but not the AC)
5 gallon pail for grey water (also handy for holding blocks and chocks on road)
Dollar store stuff for permanent fitout: utensils, plates, cups, dishpans, dishrack, clothes line, etc.