cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Tires for an F-350

Mtwoodson
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 F-350 came with Michelin LT275/70/18s. They're about ready to replace at 45,000, which is a little disappointing. (Most of my other Michelins have given me 70,000+ of good service.) These were okay on pavement, but absolutely useless on any unpaved surface, even my lawn. While 90% of my travel is on pavement, I'd like something quiet but with at least minimal all-weather/slippery going ability. And when I'm towing it's a 40-foot, 15,000-pound fifth wheel. I don't tow much, maybe 5,000 miles per annum. Any suggestions?
Mtwoodson
Save the whales..., collect the whole set
29 REPLIES 29

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
In checking Tire Rack a few years back I've seen otherwise identical offerings the single difference being one is shown as the vehicle manufacturer tire.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
Interesting read about OEM equipment vs replacement tires.
clicky

This is not limited to BMW either, I know Ford, GM, Probably Fiat, and all the luxury brands do this. Tire compound can be customized to create longer wear, less resistance IE better fuel economy, grip in high temps or low temps, etc.

This is why the tires that come on your vehicle might not be the best performance indicator of how the 'same' replacement tire from NTB or discount tire will perform.

Yes, you are correct. I work for a very large OEM tire manufacturer, and this information is correct. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with this practice, but it is correct as stated, and it is requested by the automakers.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of NITTO EXO Grapplers on a 3500. I have been real happy with them. I have 50K on them and while if I was going into Summer and not Winter I could get more out of them. However I am good with 50K. Great off road, a little road noise but not bad, and a good Winter tire. I have another set waiting to go on.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
clicky

This is not limited to BMW either, I know Ford, GM, Probably Fiat, and all the luxury brands do this. Tire compound can be customized to create longer wear, less resistance IE better fuel economy, grip in high temps or low temps, etc.

This is why the tires that come on your vehicle might not be the best performance indicator of how the 'same' replacement tire from NTB or discount tire will perform.

Thank you for that info!

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have tried the Michelin XLT tires twice both XL load rated (not E rated). My opinion, yours may differ, is that they are the best riding, worst steering, tires that I have experienced. They are also great in the snow. But, if you look away for .1 second they'll wander off to one side or the other. You have to steer into the wind or the road banking. For 2012 the 275-65R-18 (HT) and 275-70R-18 (AT) sizes were both Continental for OEM. My 275-65R-18 tires only went about 48K because the front tires wore out the edges way fast. Went back with the OEMs because I just couldn't decide what else to try--I do like the way they steer. Didn't want AT and the tire stores don't sell much in a HT design. There isn't much consensus on what is a good tire in HT.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Duravis will last longest. 700 model is commercial traction. But don't know about size compatibility. My second choice would be LTX AT. Nothing lasts longer than these tire linesr
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

KVE777
Explorer
Explorer
OE tires have a different "Part Number" from the identical looking retail tire. Usually they are priced a lot higher, too.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
I put the Cooper Discoverer on my F250.. GREAT tire. I would buy them again in a minute. Aggressive tread, quiet, and great tread life!

This is what I'll probably go with soon. Discount Tire has them for around $200/tire in the 285-70-17. I've heard good things.

My BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s have been excellent but they have around 25,000 miles on them and its time to replace before snowy weather hits.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
clicky

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with BB and the Go man. The OEM general grabbers on my F 250 had a tread separation on the rear, I changer the rears out at 34K.

The Toyota highlander has Bridgestone on it. They are looking sad, tread wise, at 34K.

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
I currently have a set of Goodyear All Terrain Adventure E rated 20" tires on my Super Duty. They're at ~25k miles and they're wearing pretty normal at this point.

Excellent choice.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Tvov wrote:
I average about 40,000 miles on my tires. The set I have on now, Firestone Transforce HT, need to be replaced in the spring - almost exactly 40,000 miles old.

The Firestones have been fine. I kinda wish they'd last longer, but they've been good, and they are the least expensive name brand tire around me.

Oh, the HT are really a highway / road tire as opposed to all season, but they've been fine in the winter.

I had a set of HT's on a sprinter van at work, got close to 70K out of them. I would agree on the weather ability. NOT a great snow tire, but work depending upon the snow type you have. Slushy wet snow useless. Dry compacted they would be ok.

Marty

Not sure if this will help the original poster at all, but...

For the winter I replace my rear tires with Firestone Winterforce tires. They are one direction snow tires with deep tread - they are marked for driver side and passenger side. My truck is (gasp!!) 2 wheel drive. I run the winter tires from about Thanksgiving until March, depending on weather. So far they are great in winter, and due to limited use they still practically look new.

Again, I bought Firestone because they were the least expensive name brand tire I found. Actually, they were less expensive than most other off brand tires, too!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
My experience has been that OEM tires do not last nearly as long as replacement tires, even if the replacement tires are exactly the same brand, model, and size as the OEM tires you are replacing. Only got about 35,000 on OEM Bridgestones on last Expedition, and a little over 40,000 on OEM Michelins on current F350. Have used Michelin replacements on most vehicles and never a sidewall checking issue.

Truth or myth, have read that OEM tires are slightly different than exact replacements (slightly different compound and/or "shaved") to maximize new vehicle mpg.

Absolutely agree. Every new vehicle I've ever bought has worn out the OEM tires much earlier than the tires that replaced them. I have also heard that the OEM tire compound is different.

I have always replaced with Michelins and got great mileage from them. My 2013 Ford dually came with Generals. The fronts got replaced at 42k and the rears at about 45k (could have gone another 5k) - with Michelins. Now at 55k on the truck odo, all 6 still look as new.

So you are saying for example the Michelin AT2 OEM on the new fords are not the same Michelin AT2's at the tire store ?? So you are saying that Michelin builds two different grades of the AT2, although the same tire the OEM is a much cheaper or less quality tire then we can buy from a tire dealer ??

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
My experience has been that OEM tires do not last nearly as long as replacement tires, even if the replacement tires are exactly the same brand, model, and size as the OEM tires you are replacing. Only got about 35,000 on OEM Bridgestones on last Expedition, and a little over 40,000 on OEM Michelins on current F350. Have used Michelin replacements on most vehicles and never a sidewall checking issue.

Truth or myth, have read that OEM tires are slightly different than exact replacements (slightly different compound and/or "shaved") to maximize new vehicle mpg.

Absolutely agree. Every new vehicle I've ever bought has worn out the OEM tires much earlier than the tires that replaced them. I have also heard that the OEM tire compound is different.

I have always replaced with Michelins and got great mileage from them. My 2013 Ford dually came with Generals. The fronts got replaced at 42k and the rears at about 45k (could have gone another 5k) - with Michelins. Now at 55k on the truck odo, all 6 still look as new.