cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to TT need some help please

jayson_medic
Explorer
Explorer
So i am new to TT but have been tent camping for years. My wife on the other hand has never been camping in any way. So i was thinking that a trailer would be the best/easiest way to introduce her to it. So my question is i have a 2009 chevy 1500 with max tow package and just got a set of airbags and brake controller for it (got a great deal) but i dont know what trailer to buy. i really want a bunkhouse as we have kids and want them to be able to bring friends. so any suggestions on which brand/modle? and is an outdoor kitchen really functional? i have many more questions but i will start with this one. thanks for any and all info.

ps per door tag have a 1700lbs payload and 9600 rating.
20 REPLIES 20

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Jayson,
if it was me , i would not go for the 31 footer that is really 35 feet .
KFS above had some really great ideas .
because you do not have previous experience with your wife camping , i would find a unit to rent .
the campers i have visited with in the campgrounds who pull a 31 footer ( 35 actual ) have all had diesel HD 2500 pickups and the happiest were using a dually .
too many folks buy a big trailer from the experince they got at the RV show when the trailer was parked .
when they go to tow that baby then reality sets in .
with TT's bigger is not always better .
if you insist on staying at 31 feet , buy used .
there are plenty available from first - timers who thought they could tow it with their expedition .

jayson_medic
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for hi info I think I have narrowed it down to
Premier 31bhpr

Solaire 307QBDSK

And may be a Coleman bunkhouse?

Anyone that has info good bad or ugly please feel free to voice it. I will gladly take it.

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the weight. We started with a Jayco 26BH which was a great trailer. We towed with a Yukon XL 5.3L and were struggling in hills. That trailer was too small for us. If you are looking for a small, light, bunkhouse the Jayflight 26BH was great, and is a popular model.

On the outside kitchen, we love ours on our Sprinter. I'm not sure you are going to find one in the weight you are looking at though.

Go to RV shows and/or visit several lots and just look. Look a lot. Start noting what you like/don't like. There are many, many options.
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
How many kids , how many adults? What type of camping will you do, full hook ups or boondocking? Will you be traveling much? If so will there be mountains to climb?
Once you provide answers you can get more input.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that renting one or borrowing from a friend would be the best way to go. If your wife has never been out camping, she might not know what it is like to not have the same amenities that a home has. Finding a TT that will make things easier for her, especially with kids, will keep her interested.

As for rentals in nothern Cali, just google it.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

jayson_medic
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to rent one but does anyone know where in norther California that rents trailers?

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
As a "DW" who was introduced to tent camping (tolerated it for the sake of the kids) and then a small used fifth wheel (LOVE IT!) let me give you some advice you probably don't need but we women stick together even though I have never met your wife.

I seriously echo the suggestion to rent one if you can swing it. We already HAVE a camper and before we would ever go bigger, that would be my plan. I want to really experience the ins and outs of handling and staying in something before I make my investment. I want to know where I can keep my food, clothing, items for the kids, even electronics. Basically "big" doesn't mean better if the space doesn't "fit" your needs.

What works for one family won't work for another. I LOVE our 21' Fifth Wheel. Others would go stark raving mad in that space.

One friend can't imagine not having the bunkhouse feature, I'm happy without it. It takes less than a minute to flip down the kids beds.

We started flirting with upgrading so the kids could bring friends. I selfishly decided maybe I don't want to always bring friends. I kind of LIKE having a camper that fits our immediate family.

I don't see myself wanting to camp in a pop-up. Anecdotal evidence points to my personal peers saying to skip this step since every single person we know found that the pop-up led to one of two things. A soon-after upgrade to traditional TT or they quit camping. Your mileage may vary. I've seen some really spectacular pop-ups.

We have friends who opted for storage rather than an outdoor kitchen. That works for his family. For our needs one of the only reasons we would consider upgrading would be to get an outdoor kitchen. DH likes to cook while camping and if it's important to him - it's important to me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Different people, different desires.

I hope you find something that you both just love!

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
DW never camped before? I recommend renting one first, or at least go with a used one just in case she hates it.

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
You can also checkout the Keystone Passport 2650bh. Its 29' with plenty of room for the family and only 4800lbs (dry)...

http://www.holmanrv.com/inventory/180658/New-2013-Keystone-RV-Passport-2650BH.aspx
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a Jayco 26BH with my 2007 Silverado 1500 crew cab 5.3L. I love the floorplan of the trailer...great for me, the wife and our two kids (ages 5 and 9). The trailer's dry weight is around 5K and we tend to pack light but that weight (in addition to my gear ratio) is about the max I want to tow with the 5.3.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
I can't comment on your truck specifically power wise as I have a 2012 ram 1500 but I'm very pleased by my towing experience and I tow 7400 lbs. Now I would be careful on payload as you have kids to worry about and I don't.

My comment is more for the outdoor kitchen. I absolutely love it. I have a large outdoor kitchen with grill and cooktop with cabinets and 4 cu/ft fridge. (trailer is sprinter 266rbs). We use it all the time and it is so handy. It doesn't heat up the inside of trailer and you have more room and can still be talking to others. I personally didn't care if I had it or not the wife wanted it and I'm so glad we did get it. Mine trailer also came with the outdoor grill that attaches to the bumper and its just so handy. I don't think you'll regret it one bit.

roadrider10
Explorer
Explorer
Jayson.medic, sounds like your TV has the 6 speed trans and 3.42 axle since you have a 9600 lb. tow rating. If that is the case, with the appropriate cooling package, you can certainly tow more than a pop up if you want. I have that combination in a 2012 GMC and am comfortably pulling a 6300 lb. loaded travel trailer long distances. In my opinion that is close to the comfortable limit for this setup though. A good hitch with sway control is highly recommended. My payload is only 1500 lbs. so that can be a real limiting factor even more than power. I am using P metric tires now but will switch to E's when I get some more wear on these. With just my wife and I we are very close to our max TV payload when packed for long trips and a full fuel tank. As so many have said usually the limiting factor with 1/2 tons is the payload not the power.

rscraig
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to look at a hybrid or a pop-up. Light tows but they open up to give you lots of room. Also gives you more of a "camping" feel than a TT. I raised 3 kids in a PUP and they had a great time.

The outdoor kitchen depends entirely on you and the style of camping your family plans to do. Some people never use them, others use them constantly. For a small trailer with kids, you may find expanding to the outdoors is inevitable and an outdoor kitchen and a popup screen room for the picnic table can be very useful.
Steve
2012 Jayco Eagle 26.5 RKS
2006 Dodge 2500 4x2 QC 5.9L CTD

WI_Bowhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I just let my 2009 5.3L Max tow chevy go a few months ago. I was towing a Jayco 23B(around 5300 loaded). It towed well. I don't think I would want to go much more than that on that truck...I was pushing it's limits for towing I believe. The transmission would shift quite a bit on gradual uphill grades and in any head wind. we have 3 kids and the wife and I and that type of trailer worked well for us.

Having said that, we just traded up to a 30 foot Puma with a bunk house and pull with a F150 Ecoboost. This trailer weighs close to 9K loaded and pulls really well behind the Ford. My Chevy would have struggled greatly with this trailer!
Keep the Shiny Side Up!;)

2011 F150 Supercrew, 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost, 145" wheelbase, 3.73 gears, Max trailer Tow package

2014 Puma 30DBSS
Equali-I-Zer WD Hitch

3 kids and 1 DW