cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Truck Buy or Lease?

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm still looking at new trucks (first time in 17yrs), and wondered if leasing would be a good option or not. I went and drove the Ram, and next will try the Ford, and Chevy. I do kind of favor the Cummins diesel, but will check out the Ford 6.2 gas model.
64 REPLIES 64

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you are just retiring your first vehicle in 17 years and don't know if buying or leasing is right for you, you likely answered your own question.
Buy your truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
One advantage to leasing is you can deduct it on your tax return if you own a business. I lease my wife's vehicle for that reason.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Just traded in our 09 F350 Lariet in sig for a 2017 King Ranch 6.7 CC DRW 4:10. We had 71000- miles 55,000 towing on our 09 Not for the newest and greatest but need for a towing a heavier (19,000) 5th trailer. At this time it is most likily his will be our last truck and trailer. We were not finished moving our junk out of the 09 when a prospective buyer was there to look it over. I guess he had inquired earlier with the dealer about low milage tow vehicles that might come in on trade and was contacted as soon as we signed the papers.
I have never leased a vehicle and never will. I would have kept the 09 till the AC died as I always have with vehicles (10-12) years when the cost for replacement AC was more than I would put in a vehicle of that age.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
DallasSteve wrote:
For those of you who love to own your cars, my favorite question is "Do you still own your first car?"
First car was a '70 Mach I Mustang. Had it 10 years. My needs changed and it needed frame/suspension work. Sold it for what I paid.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had trouble leasing, and so far, six vehicles in, have received trade in value selling the lease to the dealer versus lease end surrender. I keep my vehicles well maintained and spotless on the interior, I like to think that helps. 12k miles a year, more miles than vacation time.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I like leasing. They say buy what appreciates; rent what depreciates. Trucks depreciate. I would lease a travel trailer, too, if I could lease a new one. That said, if you want to keep a vehicle for more than 5 years you may be able to save money buying. If you want a new vehicle more often than that, you will probably save money leasing. For those who disagree, I used to be a CPA, so it's not like I can understand the numbers involved. For me I like having a vehicle that never needs to go in the shop. If my leased vehicle does need to go in, it's not my headache. The dealer has to cover the cost. For those of you who love to own your cars, my favorite question is "Do you still own your first car?"
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Leasing might be an option is you're unsure that you're going to want/keep the truck long-term. For the first time in my life, I leased a vehicle, because it was such a departure from our past vehicles, we weren't sure if we'd like it, and like the idea that we could walk away after three years.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep watching sales discounts and loan rates. Many MFRs have been having specials with ZERO percent rates. You can't beat free money. We were originally going to pull money from a Retirement account, but when offered 0% we left the account alone.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

True_temper
Explorer
Explorer
If you cant pay cash for different truck keep what you've got or stay home.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
The board has spoken, No Lease
Thank you, now for the hard part, to decide on a truck.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely buy. Then you can add any aftermarket items like aux fuel tank etc.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

babock
Explorer
Explorer
Friends don't let friends lease.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most leases specifically prohibit towing, so why would you rent, er lease a truck?
In reality a lease it the manufacturers way to sucker you into more vehicle than you can actually aford.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I drive way too many miles for leasing to be an option. Besides that my approach to vehicles is buy new and drive them till the wheels fall off. I don’t think it’s necessarily dumb to finance a purchase. I could have bought my Ram with cash but my finance rate is .9%. I don’t think it makes sense to pull cash out of an investment account when I can borrow it that cheap and earn more on my money.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB