cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New vehicle engine oil- first oil change recommendations

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a new vehicle. It's a 2015 Impala LT with the LT2 option...the 305 hp, 3.6 liter V6.

Eventually I plan to use it for light towing...my Old Town freighter canoe....which along with the light boat trailer, weighs less than 500 lbs, much less then the maximum towing capacity of 1000 lbs. Bit I'm not looking at towing for a number of months, yet.

Right now I've got about 500 + miles on it and I've followed the GM break in recommendations. No hard starts, keep the engine revs moderate, vary the engine rpm.

However when it comes to oil, I've always made sure my first oil change was at 500 miles. The idea was to clean out any swarf that may develop as a result of the break in process.

But I know engine routines are different now, so is oil. In fact my Impala has a synthetic blend oil.

I can't find anything in the owner's manual about changing oil within the first 500 miles or so.

What it does say is that the car has a computer system that tells when to change the engine oil. This could be quite a number of miles ....possibly 7500 miles or more.

This bothers me as I've driven vehicles since 1965 and I've always changed my initial oil in a new vehicle at 500 miles or so.

What do you think and what would you're recommendation be and why ?
22 REPLIES 22

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Engine blocks go through washers the size of your house at least four times before assembly.
Bores are honed in stages at a fraction of the pressure they did 'back in the day'.The honing process has been switched over to diamond tooling since the late '80s,the final stage of which is a 'diamond brush ' ,that cleans and removes all the swarf from the bores.
The low forces used in cross hatching the bores result in a 'roundness ' measured in millionths.Rings are very low in tension and do not remove any material from the bore ,they are seated from day one.
But go ahead and change the oil ,it is after all from the lowest bidder.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how long you plan on keeping it.

If going to sell/trade it in a few years...go with the OEM recommendation

If going to keep it a looooong time, then what I do is change it at 500
miles not matter what. Ditto tranny, ditto Diff

Yes, old timer stuff and still believe in it...even with the new IP
in them these days

I do switch over to synthetics at that time and add my molyB additive
in all, except an automatic tranny or diff with clutches

For used, I do that first chance and usually within the first days
or week of ownership
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
I am having my first oil change in the 2014 CTD tomorrow at 5500 miles. It still shows 72% life on the oil. We are headed out for a 7000 mile trip early next month and figure we should start the trip on new oil. We have free life time oil changes and I am sure they aren't going to go for early changes. I have never gone over 6000 miles between oil changes and this meter is going to be an issue with me. But I would recommend, as others, make yourself comfortable with an early change.

BTW. This is my 55th year of driving and I have never experienced an engine failure. ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
I have always done an early first oil change on any engine. Probably not necessary in modern engines, but I just can't change my habits. As far as oil monitors, I wildly exceed manufacturer recommendations so the monitor doesn't mean anything to me. I use extremely fine bypass filtration and used oil analysis for most of the vehicles in my mini-fleet.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I change my first one at 500 miles. Always will just to be rid of any swarf or contaminates. Seems like cheap insurance to me. I've had several high mileage units so far without any major damage and always clean inside the valve covers.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge_Guy, what did the control group's engine look like in that experiment? What about the engine that got oil changes at 50% of OLM, or 25%, or every xxxx miles?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
By all means......follow the OLM! I'm sure you'll be just fine! Just like this person!

Only 100k miles! Always going by what the computer was programmed to tell you.

So go on! Keep using that pre-programmed computer that doesn't care how much money you have to spend down the road.

The OLM were designed to make you feel good about driving a $30-100k vehicle and not needing any basic maint. It is a feel good gimmick. Manuf do not have a stake in the long term for your car. They are hoping you will just trade in when something like this happens!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
kaydeejay wrote:
GM designed it and GM warrantees it. So why not follow their directions?
The Oil life monitor is your guide!
Do you not have the first 2 years maintenance included in the purchase?
I think you will find your dealer will not do an oil change until you have less than 10% oil life remaining.
As for "swarf" - doesn't happen!

GM also changed the algorithm on their cars a couple of years back and essentially reduced the OCI because of fuel dilution on their DI engines.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
GM designed it and GM warrantees it. So why not follow their directions?
The Oil life monitor is your guide!
Do you not have the first 2 years maintenance included in the purchase?
I think you will find your dealer will not do an oil change until you have less than 10% oil life remaining.
As for "swarf" - doesn't happen!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Build tolerances are much much tighter than before. Because of this there is less 'wear in' on all components. Of course there is going to be excessive levels of metals during an oil analysis because it still is a break in, but no where near the quantity or time frame as 20 years ago.

I would run the oil to half of the recommended service interval. The do normal service intervals after that.

Read closely in your owner's manual. I'm thinking that your 3.6L is the same/similar to what I have in my Enclave, and requires a DEXOS compliant oil.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
There's no science for changing the oil early, however.....
I do the 500 mile oil and filter change for two unsubstantiated reasons. 1) To eliminate any contamination from the manufacturing process that may have been inadvertently left in the engine. 2) To remove any small particles the initial operation of the engine may produce that are too small for the oil filter to remove, expecting their presence will decrease to normal levels rapidly.
Currently Between RVs

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
My Audi called for first oil change at 8000 km (5000 mi). That's what I did. Normal intervals are 16000 km (10000 mi). It uses full synthetic.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toyota says 10K miles on their oil in the Highlander. That is exactly how many miles I am putting on before changing the oil.

plus they gave a lifetime power train warranty to boot.

By all means, do what makes you feel comfortable with.