cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Question About Tie Downs

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone! im really excited to say ill be moving out of my apt and getting a truck camper soon. I have a 2006 ford F350 SRW which ill be pairing with a 2019 Eagle Cap 811. I am in the process of searching for proper tie downs and i was looking online at etrailer.com but there seems to be a wide variety and im on a tight budget. Any suggestions? thanks !
38 REPLIES 38

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guess what?
Torklift 1.5" tubing bends exactly like the 1.5" tubing you can buy from local Home Depot.
I am old enough to remember when whole bridges were build without welding, so when doing ties might not be good time to learn welding, smart people can find lot of other ways to skin the cat.... or a dog

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Well, this discussion took an interesting turn. Yeah the torklift package was not cheap but its nice to know i invested in something the community seems pretty happy with. Only time will tell if it was worth the extra cash. Thanks guys

ranholago
Explorer
Explorer
I used Happijac for a number of years and never had a problem, felt safe and secure with that tie down system. My son in law has used Brophy for many years and also has had no problems using them for his camper. I will say I have changed to the torklift system ONLY because I found some stuff on Craigslist and some items at a garage sale, the price was so good I could not turn it down. Do I feel any safer, more secure, not really, however I do feel its a better system and for the price I paid I could not turn it down. If you check craigslist or hit some garage sales maybe this summer you could always update later. You have a pretty common truck and finding the used tie downs should be pretty easy.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
The price of Torklift tie downs is unbelievable and there are some people who just can't afford 1K for tie downs..The alternates are few with happijack being quite a bit cheaper..Making your own isn't that hard and you don't have to weld to do it..Having a welder make some is far cheaper than Torklift last time I looked...

Is always good to see those that fabricate there own,this forum has quite a few that do things like that that gives other people ideas in how to either do it or have it done..Burningman is one of those people and I always enjoy his ideas...Kinda old school if you will..The way we used to do it before Torklift was even a company...I would never pay that price myself, but I understand for those that do..There are just so many other ways to do it..

I find it odd that no one recommended anything but Torklift, unless I missed it because there are other and less expensive products that do the same thing..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
people who are willing to get out there and do a thing or two instead of buy everything pre-made at whatever price.

.....Dumbest statement of the year.....
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
x
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
For the price of the “good” tiedowns you can buy a small wire-feed welder, some pieces of square tube and flat stock, and make some and still have money left over. And now you have a welder!

Dumbest suggestion of the year.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
But we should be proud of burningmetal......I mean burningman for his skillz

Totally agree! I've been super impressed with some innovative engineering and manufacturing by others on this forum. And you're also right....the ability to fab up something in their own shop is almost the best, unless you can also store your truck camper inside too. That's the best-
I don't think I could even attempt to weld something these days. Old school was to tip your head back slowly and nod forward sharply (like fly casting) but these days lenses go dark faster than a blink.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
mike/kellie wrote:
Burningman wrote:
For the price of the “good” tiedowns you can buy a small wire-feed welder, some pieces of square tube and flat stock, and make some and still have money left over. And now you have a welder

That doesn't make one a welder. I had 6 certifications from 40 years ago including 7018 LH overhead but purchased Torklift tie downs. That experience recognized quality products.

Correct, but some folks like to humble brag about their skills.
We all know it makes zero sense for someone like the OP who doesn’t even hint at being a welder AND who is living full time in a TC to buy a welder. And if they did, they’d need a shop and other tools, not conducive to living in a TC or apartment on in inner city street.
But we should be proud of burningmetal......I mean burningman for his skillz.

And other folks, who shall remain nameless but whose initials are “Grit Dog”, like to throw rocks at people who are willing to get out there and do a thing or two instead of buy everything pre-made at whatever price.
I’m so glad you’re here. You’re a real asset. And I mean 3/5th of that.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
mike/kellie wrote:
Burningman wrote:
For the price of the “good” tiedowns you can buy a small wire-feed welder, some pieces of square tube and flat stock, and make some and still have money left over. And now you have a welder

That doesn't make one a welder. I had 6 certifications from 40 years ago including 7018 LH overhead but purchased Torklift tie downs. That experience recognized quality products.

Correct, but some folks like to humble brag about their skills.
We all know it makes zero sense for someone like the OP who doesn’t even hint at being a welder AND who is living full time in a TC to buy a welder. And if they did, they’d need a shop and other tools, not conducive to living in a TC or apartment on in inner city street.
But we should be proud of burningmetal......I mean burningman for his skillz.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift + fast gun works very good for me.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those that don't know what a belly bar is,picture below...No welding needed...I found this one for $60 on the net..It gives you the idea and there are different ways to secure it to the frame without welding..

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Burningman wrote:

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the price of the “good” tiedowns you can buy a small wire-feed welder, some pieces of square tube and flat stock, and make some and still have money left over. And now you have a welder!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.