cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norcold gas & electric fridge

Barry_W
Explorer
Explorer
Headed to the smokey mountains tomorrow morning. Started fridge on propane yesterday. Freezer is at 18.9 f. Fridge is 53 degrees. Can someone help as to why the fridge temp is so high? Never had this issue before with norcold. Fan is running behind the refrigerator. I may have to delay our trip if we can't figure things out. Thank you Barry
2006 F350 4x4 DRW CREW CAB 6.0

SNOWRIVER 9'6" DINETTE ALL WEATHER PACKAGE

FIRESTONE AIR BAGS
RANCHO 9000X SHOCKS

HONDA EU2000

1000 WATT INVERTER
15 REPLIES 15

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Barry, I see that your refrigerator is in the slide out of your Host Cascade. The refrigerator will run hotter due to it side venting. I installed an arpRV with dual fans in my Arctic Fox 990 and it made all the difference in how the refrigerator cooled. Check them out.

Barry_W
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Maggie Valley and the fridge is much better. Maybe the long ride to get here, the temperature is much cooler here in the mountains. Fridge is 35f with a few ice crystals forming on the fins. It was 98f and 80+ humidity when we left Corapeake. I must of been asking too much of the norcold. Thanks everyone for your tips and expertise. So nice of you to take time to help us. Barry

FIRESTONE AIR BAGS
RANCHO 9000X SHOCKS

HONDA EU2000

1000 WATT INVERTER

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do you have a fridge roof vent?
Have you checked to see if birds or rodents have nested in there plugging up your fridge roof ventilation? If the TC is parked so the afternoon and evening sun is hitting the side of the camper, that can cause a lot of heat around the fridge. Your gas flame may not be lined up directly under the exhaust tube where the heat is supposed to rise causing the fridge coolant to do its thing. Try to slide the plastic clip with a wire on the fridge fins down. you can also try to pull it outward but that is not ordinary. Good luck figuring things out.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'll put in my 2 cents worth. The problem with the propane end I would think would be the sensor on the tip of the ignitor, the flame not running perfectly, slow propane through the tube but that would set the sensors off and completely shut down. Lots of trouble shooting for the road. You mentioned you turned on the electric. Did you mean 12 volt or 110? 110 it should have cooled rite off but 12 volt would take a long time to cool off as is stated on the thread. Is the door closing completely? Is the light turning off when closed. Is the rubber gasket around the fridge door intact, clean and installed properly? These are the simple things I thought I'd add because all the mechanical things are already being covered.

https://www.rvrepairclub.com/video/troubleshooting-rv-propane-refrigerator-014996/

Your model number would help.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Depending on MODEL, the fans may not be working!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
MORSNOW wrote:
In the hot summer months, it takes much longer to get cold, especially if empty. I normally start the refrigerator at least three days in advance so it can cool down. I also add some nonperishable already chilled/frozen things to help get it cool quicker. Remember a refrigerator/freezer removes the heat, it doesn't add cold, so you are fighting the outside ambient heat. Shade the side of your camper or add a temporary fan to help the coils remove the heat.
Or it may not cool due to both inside and outside temps, what are they?

Also run the A/C to cool the inside.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
In the hot summer months, it takes much longer to get cold, especially if empty. I normally start the refrigerator at least three days in advance so it can cool down. I also add some nonperishable already chilled/frozen things to help get it cool quicker. Remember a refrigerator/freezer removes the heat, it doesn't add cold, so you are fighting the outside ambient heat. Shade the side of your camper or add a temporary fan to help the coils remove the heat.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you look at the fins in the fridge, you'll see a clip, move that clip down the fin. If it's rusted replace the clip.

Barry_W
Explorer
Explorer
No yellowing, not as cold on electric. I have put a block of ice in the fridge, it is hanging out around 39f. We are stopped now for a break. I will try and find a service center this week.

FIRESTONE AIR BAGS
RANCHO 9000X SHOCKS

HONDA EU2000

1000 WATT INVERTER

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there any yellow residue on the back side of the fridge around the boiler or tubing? How long has the fridge been sitting without moving? Have you tried it on electric to see if it behaves any differently?

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
And again what is the model of the refer?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Barry_W
Explorer
Explorer
The fridge is nearly new. It is on a host cascade. The flame looks good, so I need 0f in the freezer and 35-40 in the fridge.

FIRESTONE AIR BAGS
RANCHO 9000X SHOCKS

HONDA EU2000

1000 WATT INVERTER

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Not only is the fridge temp high, the freezer temp is high as well. Fridge should be mid 30's, freezer should be around zero. So something is causing the whole system to not cool like it should.

Very good information here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmaKo6nO37w

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the flame could have rust on top of the burner