cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now I'm Really Confused

summitpower
Explorer
Explorer
So the wife and I went tonight to look at several brands we hadn't seen before, and drove a hour and half to do so, I have to say pictures can be deceiving, out of the 6 we thought we would really like only one really matched the pics, but in the process the sales guy said since we upgraded to 3/4 ton why aren't we looking at 5th wheels, I am a novice with this whole thing, what is the benefit of a 5th wheel over TT, and is it a better purchase?
33 REPLIES 33

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's all a personal choice. IF your truck can handle a 5th wheel, and you like it. Get it if that is what you want.

Remember though. Every thing in the 5th wheel is either UP, or Down stairs, and they are higher to climb up in as well.
And you can't use the bed of your truck.. As for a TT. Not so much truck needed, less cost, but more involved hookup. Less storage so you don't have to carry so much junk.

Its all in what you want. It's your money, your legs, and your back.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife made it clear, no more steps. She did not want the extra steps up to the bedroom in the 5th wheel trailers. We might have considered one otherwise.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I purchased my current TT, I was torn between 5er and TT. I thought I wanted a 5er, primarily based on living space (more spacious, higher ceilings), and then when I started looking at Pin weight and it's impacts to cargo capacity vice TT and it's impacts, it was increasingly harder for me to find a 5er that I liked, with the layout I wanted, that fit my cargo capacity.

Then, on top of that, there is the price point. 5ers I looked at were significantly higher than TT's I was looking at.

In the end, I went with the TT in my sig. Rationale (not necessarily in this order).

1. Very similar layout/floor plan, close to same space.
2. Significantly lower cost (as in over 10k)
3. Impact on cargo capacity
4. Impact to truck bed space.
5. Added steps to get into bedroom area (wife has bad knees). That was her #1 rationale for the TT we picked.

For a first time owner, I highly recommend you stick to TT's. If you are like the thousands of other owners, you will upgrade at some point in the future. Wait until you figure out, based on your personal experience, what you want in your final RV (if there is ever a final).

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
There are advantages and disadvantages to both. When properly set up both tow well. Pick the one that fits your needs and budget best and your vehicle is capable of towing. Disregard anything a salesman says and learn the truth for yourself.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Total length of truck and equivalent length trailer will be shorter with a 5th wheel than a TT. People frequently state a 5er is more stable towing than a TT. But a properly set of TT tows fine also.

Don't assume, or believe a salesman, that you can tow a large 5er just because you have a 3/4 ton. You must look at the payload rating of the truck and the pin weight of the trailer to make sure you will not be overloaded. Just today I saw a very new Ram 2500 towing a 3 axle toy hauler. Rear of truck was sagging probably 6" or more and front was pointed at the sky. But he was towing it. Probably just like a salesman said he could.

+1

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Fifth wheel has inherently less sway when towing over a TT. TT's have sway by design due to the hitch pivot being behind the TV axle. So getting rid of TT sway can be an issue due to the cost of real sway control hitches (like the Hensley). Have had both and if we had to do it again would definitely go with a fifth wheel.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Never mind, lack of coffee.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest negatives on a 5vers are height and loss of the TV bed space. We do a lot of running around once un-hitched and a covered bed is a big asset for us.

Going across OK and TX in 45 mph cross winds was a real treat with a 25 ft. TT. I suppose the 5ver hitch provides more stability but the added hieght still makes a great sail.

I feel sorry for those folks who do not trust their dealership, or rather believe the dealer is out to cheat them. If you ask a dealer "Can my TT tow this TV", they look at the towing specs. the weight of the TT and if they match okay.

The dealer does not know if you have already used up a large portion your max cargo with various TV gadgets and doodads. Or, you regularly attend anvil collector's convention with a bed full of anvils.

My advise to the newcomer is to rent what you think you want for a week or two and see if you really want to pull one of these barns down the road.

Good luck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to go the TT route, come back here and read all you can about hitch setups. If your dealer installs it correctly you can bet it will not be adjusted correctly.
While considering the whole TT vs. 5th wheel thing just go with what fits you. If this is truly your first trailer, odds are you'll trade in a few years anyway.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Fifth wheel costs more, so the salesman gets a bigger commission. Which one would you try to sell to a customer if you where the salesman?

Secondly, size for size, you can tow a bigger TT than 5th wheel with any given truck.

Good points....just to add some weight difference with the hitch loads for both.
A new gen 3/4 ton truck have a 6000-6500 RAWR that will carry all the hitch weight.
I have no idea what weight trailer your looking at but a 12k GVWR TT may have around 1200-1500 lb hitch weight.

A 12k GVWR 5th wheel can have around 2400-2600 lbs of hitch weight which is close to the max hitch weight a 3/4 ton truck can carry without adding larger capacity tires/wheels and rear spring pack.
By the time you add a heavy 5th wheel hitch and other gear in the bed the truck may have a 3000 lb load which is close to the trucks max rear axle/tire/wheel load numbers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fifth wheel costs more, so the salesman gets a bigger commission. Which one would you try to sell to a customer if you where the salesman?

Secondly, size for size, you can tow a bigger TT than 5th wheel with any given truck.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
the only issue with a fifth wheel for me is our pu is used more like a big old station wagon and has a weather tight fibreglass cap.

no bicycles or bbqs in or hanging on the tt, we also have a 12v fridge in the bed of the truck, great for shopping trips on hot days
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
the only issue with a fifth wheel for me is our pu is used more like a big old station wagon and has a weather tight fibreglass cap.

no bicycles or bbqs in or hanging on the tt, we also have a 12v fridge in the bed of the truck, great for shopping trips on hot days
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with the Sportek. If the outside grill is like what came with our (dealer ordered as we bought off the lot) Jayco it is not the best grill for the price they charge. I haven't even used it as we already had a grill.

But we love having the outdoor fridge!!!! It eliminated a cooler for us. We keep the water, our pop, and the kids drinks in the outdoor fridge, and the adult "drinks" in a cooler.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

summitpower
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know anything about Sportek RV? looked at one of those, really has a lot of stuff included, the outside kitchen had grill, cooktop,microwave,tv, fridge,dvd player etc...pretty cool set up, plus had stadium seats in LR, wife is still pushing me to do the freedom express