cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odd payload numbers on the 2017 F350 DRW vs. 2016 F350 DRW

Wikel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been covered but it's a nice bump up in payload. Good to see the military grade aluminum (whatever that means) is giving us more carrying capacity ๐Ÿ™‚

2016 F-350 DRW
Reg Super Crew
137WB 158WB 172WB
F-350 DRW 4x2 14,000 6,840 6,340 6,870
F-350 DRW 4x4 14,000 NA NA 5,300

2017 F-350 DRW
Reg Super Crew
141WB 164WB 175WB
F-350 DRW 4x2 14,000 7,630 7,200 6,950
F-350 DRW 4x4 14,000 7,160 6,780 6,540
23 REPLIES 23

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Carb Cleaner wrote:

LOL!
People probably complained when wood beds went to steel. Still, LOL at the extra ugly.....

Ya whats up with that? still erks me.

I really don't have an opinion, if it lasts and saves weight only time will tell, it is a departure. Not a brand verses brand but aluminum verses steel. Though as thin as steels gotten on trucks maybe the Al will be less prone to 'toolbox' placement damage.

To the weight I read that some of the savings went to the frame and other, possibly the longer trucks just used (or needed) more of it? Just a WAG. I haven't really looked at the numbers.

We are in the process of seriously thinking about buying a new Ford , not sure about 1st year on the Al construction, that and sticker shock...
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
STANG23L wrote:
And your right it is not a good looking truck.

Not surprising coming from a RAM owner. Not a good or bad thing, but I think the RAMs aren't good looking either. I guess that's why there is more than one truck. ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't know why every one has to start the Ford VS. Chev/Dodge debate?

Life long Ford guy here and I've owned two Superduty F350's.
This dodge is my first non Ford truck I've ever owned and i'm loving it.

Unfortunately the new Ford trucks just do not appeal to me any more. I will admit that the 17's do look better than the last two face lifts on the old Superduty's.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
STANG23L wrote:
And your right it is not a good looking truck.

Not surprising coming from a RAM owner. Not a good or bad thing, but I think the RAMs aren't good looking either. I guess that's why there is more than one truck. ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest reason behind the style of the new superduty. Comes straight from using the same cab off the F150. And your right it is not a good looking truck.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Wikel
Explorer
Explorer
Still confused how you save 700 pounds on the regular cab but basically nothing on the crew cab. Any idea?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gonna guess the number 1 selling truck mfg didn't go and put beer can beds on their new super duper pickups. Lotta talk about nothing.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ugly didn't slow me down any when I bought my Dodge 3500.

I was a FORD truck man since my first truck back in the 70's.
But come 2006 and getting ready to hit the road FT FORD had the 6.0 POS engine and I just couldn't in good conscious buy one when I needed reliable/dependable truck so I bought my 'tractor motor' with a Dodge wrapper.
Best decision and it has proving its worth....even kinda like the look.

But I have to ask..cause I have been thinking of downsizing and new truck wouldn't hurt

Question:
Is that Ford aluminum truck bed that susceptible to huge dents/tears/rips from sharp edge corner of a tool box like shown in commercials?
I mean commercials 'bend' the truth and are 'biased' in their presentations of their product but DANG those are some nasty tears/rips and major dents vs the steel bed.

I know aluminum is strong and malleable but it's defection ability is less then steel hence the tears/rips

Yes a bedliner would minimize the effects but still.....???
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. I just put shark hide on my new aluminum boat to keep the "milled" look to it but really, it is only for looks and it won't really do worse than steel at all, with zero maintenance. I wouldn't think twice about it.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wikel wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Pretty sure they don't have aluminum frames......

That was a bit of sarcasm on my side ๐Ÿ™‚

Went right over my head!
For those doubting the corrosion resistance of aluminum components.....get real.
Aluminum snow machine trailer. Stored outside 365 days a year, never waxed, only pulled around in the winter, worse roads = better riding, 15 years old, no corrosion damage. Bare frame needs polished, panels looked like new.
Wife's car has aluminum suspension arms. They're fine after 11 years in the rain.
And what are boats that don't rust out sitting in salt water? 2 answers and the first one is fiberglass.......
Make the whole dang truck out of aluminum. Only downside is for the mfgs in reduced sales in the future due to vehicles not rusting out!

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
...the extra payload is to carry the extra ugly.

LOL!
People probably complained when wood beds went to steel. Still, LOL at the extra ugly. It's enough to make a guy consider buying a Dodge (Ram).
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

Wikel
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

That was a bit of sarcasm on my side ๐Ÿ™‚

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
My opinion is and its only that, the extra payload is to carry the extra ugly. Looks like the 'tuner' crowd designed a retro 80's. Has to be the ugliest Ford Ive ever seen.

But wonder if that is the reason for the added extra & sharp creases in the body panels- stiffening the aluminum? The u-shaped 'eyebrows' just icing on the cake.

I am really curious though how the aluminum box holds up to weight and flex long term. Seems I read insurance rates are also going to reflect the Aluminum body. All for a few hunderd pounds
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Steve_in_29 wrote:
It's all good.....until you need some body work done.

Body work is the last worry on my list. You can replace a panel quicker and cheaper than paying a body man $100/hr to tap-tap-tap the dents out with his hammer and dolly.

I am waiting to see how these trucks look after a few winters in the Rust Belt. Salt, moisture, and dissimilar metals is the formula for a battery, and galvanic corrosion.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III