cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok, now what? Kodiak 206 vs Jayco 23b

unh044
Explorer
Explorer
So, we thought we had a deal arranged for a new 2016 Jayco x23b. But, in doing a little more digging, we found that the deal we had wasn't as good as it sounded. Also, we learned some more about options, and discovered that the one we were about to buy didn't have what we wanted. So, after all this, we can't get the Jayco x23B with the options we want unless we factory order it (arrival in Nov/Dec), pay more money (ugh), or drive several hundred miles.

I've found a Dutchmen Kodiak 206es nearby, which looks like the same floorplan as the x23b. I'll be digging into these more, but I haven't seen much on here about them. Does any one have one? Are there differences between the two? Obviously, I'm assuming the warranty is different (haven't looked at Kodiak yet). Anything else?

Sooner or later I'll stop posting "what should I get" questions... I promise! (Of course, then they will be, "How do i..." questions..LOL)
2016 K-Z Spree 329IK Bunkhouse
2017 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab
17 REPLIES 17

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
drenjoey wrote:
Rockwood Roo has a great reputation too.

We first had a 2004 Starcraft Travelstar .....no problem for 3 years until a tree fell on it.
With the insurance collected, we got a 2011 Palomino Stampede S238.....No problem for another 3 years.
We were gonna go seasonal, and buy a Cottage Creek, and after selling our Stampede, we changed our mind.
We just bought a Roo 23WS and love everything about it, from the private rear bedroom to the bathroom with shower doors....
What I'm trying to say is there are many great hybrids out there, and I'm sure Jayco is a great brand, so is Starcraft, so is Palomino and so is Rockwood.
I don't think Starcraft is in the hybrids anymore, but any of the three other brands are great choices.

Dre

Starcraft is owned by Jayco. They just run a bit lower end. They also have the same 2 year warranty and same floor plans.
Nights camped in 2016 - 31
2015 Forest River Vibe
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
me daHusband :C
daWife :?
daSon :B
daBaby boy 😛 (ok so he's 13...still daBaby)
daDog

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Rockwood Roo has a great reputation too.

We first had a 2004 Starcraft Travelstar .....no problem for 3 years until a tree fell on it.
With the insurance collected, we got a 2011 Palomino Stampede S238.....No problem for another 3 years.
We were gonna go seasonal, and buy a Cottage Creek, and after selling our Stampede, we changed our mind.
We just bought a Roo 23WS and love everything about it, from the private rear bedroom to the bathroom with shower doors....
What I'm trying to say is there are many great hybrids out there, and I'm sure Jayco is a great brand, so is Starcraft, so is Palomino and so is Rockwood.
I don't think Starcraft is in the hybrids anymore, but any of the three other brands are great choices.

Dre

HTT_to_be_
Explorer
Explorer
Sharopete wrote:
We loved our Jayco 23b. Had a small issue with tent end door leak but jayco was excellent to deal with in resolving the problem. We had no other issues. Have no info on the Kodiak other than some negative feedback on here about Thor and their warranty support. We did make the drive to get the unit/options we wanted and had no regrets.

^^^ Ditto! Bought a used Jayco and they have been very pleasant to work with. Drove 6 hours to get mine. If you are set on a certain camper, don't let some miles stop you. You will have the camper for years to come and it will be worth it everytime you camp!

I have no history with Kodiak, but I am more than pleased with Jayco.
2007 Jayco 23B
2009 E350 Ford Club Wagon 5.4 w/ tow pkg;)
Equalizer hitch, Prodigy P3 brake controller
Buddy 125 Scooter-FUN!
1997 Coleman Sunridge- Served us well for 11 years!

Sharopete
Explorer
Explorer
We loved our Jayco 23b. Had a small issue with tent end door leak but jayco was excellent to deal with in resolving the problem. We had no other issues. Have no info on the Kodiak other than some negative feedback on here about Thor and their warranty support. We did make the drive to get the unit/options we wanted and had no regrets.
My lovely wife Sharon 🙂
Me (Pete)
Lots of grandkids 🙂
2005 Ram 3500
2008 Titanium 34E39QSSA

pat5150
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up a used 23b. It has exceeded my expectations. Although, it's older, 2002, it is still in great shape and looks new and everything works great. I would recommend the Jayco.

RavenNS
Explorer
Explorer
Can't beat that jayco warranty. I've heard complaints about every manufacturer but I've heard more complaints about the kodiak ... Like at least double the complaints... Which is too bad because their interior decors look really nice in the brochures.
I ended up going with the jayco brand primarily because the construction quality and warranty was just so much better than everything else that we walked through

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2007 Jayco 23B and LOVED it! Only went hard-sided as I approached retirement. The 23B is still my favorite. Well-built and stood behind the construction.
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I never camp in a floodplain. Banned to hi grounds with a dog. I'd never camp in a flash flood zone either.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
gwh1bass wrote:
Driving a few hundred miles to get the one you wanted at the price you wanted would be worth it in my opinion!

YEP, make the trip, get what you want or you will regret it later.

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
dream girl, was the whole campground going to be flooded? how is making everyone evacuate (potentially dangerous at midnight) better than having everyone stay put for the duration of the storm? can you do a longer write up of this?

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone has their opinions on one brand or another...... thats cool. I will not say anything negative on any brand, i can only give u my opinion on Jayco. They have been a wonderful company to deal with. Their Customer Service is outstanding, as is their other Company ..... Starcraft. We purchased a new Jayco "A-frame" backin July, drove 4 hours to get it. This weekend a few people stopped by to lookat it, and when i told them we drove to Niagra Falls to buy it, they questioned me because local dealer sells the same...... i told them, because i wanted a Jayco!
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco is the better brand - no doubt.
The X23B is VERY popular model (in the hybrid market), and most people are VERY happy with them.

In the end, you do get what you pay for.

I had a pop-up for 2 summers and was locked on getting a hybrid for a long time.
until! one camping trip the weather unexpectedly got bad, strong winds + pouring rain.
The storm got really really bad at midnight so Park officials decided to act and force everybody to evacuate, and I had to pack everything in a hurry!
That was NOT a pleasant experience, especially when you have small kids with you (2&5)
That is when I realize the huge advantage of the TT.
A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
you might like the KZ Spree Escape 18RBT. We have the 16RBT and are very happy with it.

http://www.kz-rv.com/spree-escape/E18RBT.html

Got it at Campers Inn in Merrimack, NH.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
the Dutchmen Kodiak and Aerolite hybrids are not in the same league, in quality/fit and finish as Jayco.
and no where near the customer support and positive rep that Jayco has.

they used to build a good hybrid, back in 2004-2010.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes