cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One Step Closer

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
On Friday we finalize the purchase of a 2016 Grand Design 317RST to be used full time after retirement next year. It is 35' weighing 10,138 empty carrying a GVWR of 13,995. The dealer agreed to store it for us until next year. Now comes the hard part - buying a truck.

Years ago we had an '03 F250 PS used to haul a 24' 5er. Worked like a champ. But the new diesels really scare me with all the problems they've had. Regardless, I've decided diesel is the way to go. The Cummins seems like a great engine, unfortunately I've read way too much about front ends and wheel bearings and am concerned about Ram's build quality in general. I like Fords, but the prospect of having a problem which requires ripping the cab off the truck bothers me.

Pretty much, I've decided on Ford. Right now they're offering 0.00% financing up to 72 months and some great pricing on left over 2016 models - that is hard to ignore. I found two trucks of interest. The first is a F350 PD crew cab short bed SRW with 3.55 gears. The 2nd is a F350 Supercab long bed SRW with the same gearing. I know length is our friend when towing, but the 2 trucks are within 2 inches of each other with respect to wheel base. The 2nd is about 6k less expensive.

As I am unfamiliar with towing 14k, so I am interested in input from those who are. What say ye?

Thank you.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.
81 REPLIES 81

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dirtydan57 wrote:
That Cummins is certainly impressive. I'm really looking forward to driving the Ford tomorrow and comparing.

After reading everything on the forums I expected the Ram to be junk. It's not. But then everything is nice when it's new.

What I've learned is that we have to drive them without forming preconceived ideas. Yes,forums are a great source of information, but are a guide, not the best way to make a final decision.

Thanks for all your help. I'll update after the drive tomorrow.

I sold my 98 12V to my son with 360K, I have a 98 12V 2wd with a 5 speed that has 353K. My 11 ho dually had a washer bottle replaced under warranty in 65K towing 29K combined. My 15 has not seen the shop with 27K

The newer RAM's are a VERY nice dependable truck.

I have 10K of towing my 41' 23K Mobile Suites with a combined weight of 33K and no issues. Actually not pleased with the brake controller. Others have had no issues. I was reading on another MobileSuites forum a guy with a 15 F350 has troubles with his controller.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
spud1957 wrote:
The Aisin is "Made" In USA. If it was "assembled" it would say so.

Oh I see, you think cause it says "made" rather than "assembled", there is a difference. Whatever you need to justify it in your mind.

I'm from Canada so I don't really care where my truck comes from. Ford and GM (thanks to US Gov't buyout) don't make, build, or assemble trucks in Canada.

Also, what makes you think I have a power stroke?

S

There FACTS associated with "assembled" and "Made" you may want to look them up.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
dirtydan57 wrote:
That Cummins is certainly impressive. I'm really looking forward to driving the Ford tomorrow and comparing.

After reading everything on the forums I expected the Ram to be junk. It's not. But then everything is nice when it's new.

What I've learned is that we have to drive them without forming preconceived ideas. Yes,forums are a great source of information, but are a guide, not the best way to make a final decision.

Even the junk they produced in 2001 is still running strong!

Coming up on 300K miles very soon, Laramie SLT, it all still works.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bedlam
Both 6.7's (PSD and CTD) have different mannerisms. You just need need to find which one fits your driving style better.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
dirtydan57 wrote:

Good luck with your decision. Either would be a great choice.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer

2016 Grand Design 317RST

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer

Oh I see, you think cause it says "made" rather than "assembled", there is a difference. Whatever you need to justify it in your mind.

I'm from Canada so I don't really care where my truck comes from. Ford and GM (thanks to US Gov't buyout) don't make, build, or assemble trucks in Canada.

Also, what makes you think I have a power stroke?

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
spud1957 wrote:
Here we go again. The OP has stated he's buying a Ford but of course the Ram boys gets their shorts in a knot that someone else ( and there are many) has decided on a Ford.

Also funny that someone thinks an Aisin transmission is "American". I'd be surprised to see how many parts of it are actually manufactured in the US, considering the vast majority of their plants are in Asia.

I guess if the Japanese transmission is assembled in the US then that must make it a US product?

So using that same logic, if a truck is assembled in Mexico......?

To respond to the OP, go for the diesel since you will be full timing. Good luck with your venture. Enjoy.

Ford is moving a lot of production to Mexico. Your PowerStroke engine is Made in Mexico.

Bottom line the guy took a RAM for a test drive and liked it enough to have the wife take it for a spin. Whatever he buys I am sure he will be happy!

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Here we go again. The OP has stated he's buying a Ford but of course the Ram boys gets their shorts in a knot that someone else ( and there are many) has decided on a Ford.

Also funny that someone thinks an Aisin transmission is "American". I'd be surprised to see how many parts of it are actually manufactured in the US, considering the vast majority of their plants are in Asia.

I guess if the Japanese transmission is assembled in the US then that must make it a US product?

So using that same logic, if a truck is assembled in Mexico......?

To respond to the OP, go for the diesel since you will be full timing. Good luck with your venture. Enjoy.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
wishing you happy hunting on your new truck.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dirtydan57 wrote:
I drove a Ram 3500 Cummins CCLB DRW yesterday. It was nice. In fact, I'm taking the wife this morning for another drive before we try the Ford tomorrow. Great motor. Dang, that thing is huge.

Tell salesman to air rear tires to 35 psi to see what the unloaded ride is actually like. The bone heads had nine near 80 all around.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Disaster????? Fish you're too funny!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I drove a Ram 3500 Cummins CCLB DRW yesterday. It was nice. In fact, I'm taking the wife this morning for another drive before we try the Ford tomorrow. Great motor. Dang, that thing is huge.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
RAM is offering 20 percent off 16's. Seriously look at 3500 SRW LONG bed with Aisin. Pop the hood on each truck then think about what you just looked at.

After that pop the door open and look at the sticker that shows which country that truck is made at and then think about what you just looked at.

OK HERE We go again! Yes it's "Assembled" in Mexico with mostly US Made parts such as engine, trans and axles to name just a few.

So maybe in the future you would just say that your PowerStroke engine is Made in Mexico so I don't have to keep repeating my self.

Thanks!

No problem... Can we include the Mexico casted engine block in your truck and that fiat is a foreign company too. When I look at this recipe I see a disaster.

Thanks in advance... :W

Sure if it makes you feel better.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
RAM is offering 20 percent off 16's. Seriously look at 3500 SRW LONG bed with Aisin. Pop the hood on each truck then think about what you just looked at.

After that pop the door open and look at the sticker that shows which country that truck is made at and then think about what you just looked at.

OK HERE We go again! Yes it's "Assembled" in Mexico with mostly US Made parts such as engine, trans and axles to name just a few.

So maybe in the future you would just say that your PowerStroke engine is Made in Mexico so I don't have to keep repeating my self.

Thanks!

No problem... Can we include the Mexico casted engine block in your truck and that fiat is a foreign company too. When I look at this recipe I see a disaster.

Thanks in advance... :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"