cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion on TV for my TT - Ecoboost Towing?

coolm19
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Dutchmen Sport 25f. 4400 dry, 7700 max (though i don't expect we're anywhere near that even with water). No plans to upgrade anytime in the future, there's just 2 of us and a dog.

We're looking at getting a 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost and are trying to decide between the regular and max tow package.

What everyone's opinion on which tow package for my trailer? With the regular we'd have a 3.55, 1660 payload, 9700 max tow weight. The max towing package gets you 3.73, 2000 payload, 11,300 max.

Trying to find them with the max tow package is proving difficult...would there be any concerns if we get the regular tow package with my trailer? We of course use a WD Hitch.
32 REPLIES 32

jaycoj1208
Explorer
Explorer
I have the max tow on my 08 f-150 screw 4x4 5.4 though a this year bought a new 2014 echo north bay 28bh. 33 ft 6850lbs loaded weight. This truck pulls awesome with the 3:73 gear. I would not order a truck or buy one for that matter with out that package.

JPEC
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much the exact setup we have.

I would recommend the max tow package, for the extra money it cost upfront you will probably appreciate the extra payload plus the extra 2000# or what ever for tow rating. The extra gear (3.73) will help keep the truck near the sweet spot when towing, with ours we just lock out 6th gear, and it almost never comes out of 5th when towing. As others said don't expect better than average mileage when towing, we get the same with this truck as we did with our 2008 ram hemi with 3.91 gears. it just does it at lower rpm.

As mentionned as well, if you dont like the mirrors, switch them out I did (the opposite though i put the towing mirrors on). Probably will NOT cost the $400 though, there is ALWAYS someone who is willing to trade for the towing mirrors, especially if you have a Canadian friend,because up here the tow mirrors have to be added, they do not come standard in any package, or at least they didn't in 2012.
Jamie & Paula

275BH Dutchmen Sport
2012 F150 XLT, Max Tow, Ecoboost

Nebraska_Rambli
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Eco max trailer package with 25,000 miles comparable trailer to yours about 7,000 pound 32 foot TT. The comments about gas milage is correct not the best MPG towing but what truck does. What I like is when i am on interstate I wave to the other trucks as i pass them in the rocky mountains. This little engine does not know how to bog down it just keeps pulling and pulling.
2011 KZ Spree 310 RLS 6700lbs
2011 Ford XLT Supercrew Bronze V-6 Ecoboost Max trailer package. 2600
payload and 11,200 tow capacity. 6 1/2 foot bed with factory trailer brake, trailer sway control, rear camera.
Nickname Truck (Therma) Trailer (Louise)

Explorer II
Explorer II
"She really doesn't want to be driving around with those huge tow mirrors everyday, when we'll only be towing 6-7 times a year..."
The smaller mirrors are about $400 a pair and it takes 20 minutes to swap them. Put the tow mirrors on when needed.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

padave
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 F150 Screw 4x4 supercrew ecoboost with max tow. Love it. Love the big mirrors....so nice towing. It is simply the best towing half ton on the market. I get 17 around town in warm weather and 16.4 in cold weather with a short commute to work of 10.5 miles each way. Longer runs=better mileage. I get 21-22 on the highway. The dealership where I bought mine gives a "warranty forever" on the powertrain including the turbos as long as I get the oil changed every 5000 miles. Could not be happier.
wife and 2 daughters
2012 Ford F150 SCrew 4x4 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 318bhs
Equalizer
former:
Nissan Titan
Rockwood Roo 233
Coleman Westlake

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
coolm19 wrote:
My wife will be the daily driver of this truck due to her short(5 mi) one way commute, and I current have a high mpg car for my drive (45 mi) one way.

Interesting.. My wife prefers the big mirrors (obviously on a different truck, but similar style), but you can see alot more with the bigger mirrors.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd get a Eco or a 5.0 F150 over a Tundra all day long. Multiple reasons. Primarily because my last company truck was a '11 F150 5.0 and it towed great! Better than the F250 6.2 gasser that replaced it this year. Back end is soft, but Timbrens, air bags or overloads take care of that easily. I horse whipped that truck pretty good for 2 years with NO issues. Had clsoe to 1000# in the bed at all times and more sometimes (Timbrens kept it level. Towed 13-15k lb trailers many times with it and it pulled, handled and stopped as good as any truck shy of a diesel.
Regarding the mirrors, take a drive with the Ford tow mirros before you discount them. They dont stick out much farther than normal mirrors if not extended and have waaaay better visibilty than Ford's normal mirrors. Blind spots are non existant becasue the bottom mirror is like a full size blind spot mirror. Best thing since beer in a can for a daily driver, merging lanes, etc.
Oh and get the 3.73's. 6th gear is geared really high anyway, so highway rpms are nota n issue.
BTW this is an un biased opinion because I dont even really like Fords, but the newest gen F150's are very good trucks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

coolm19
Explorer
Explorer
coolm19 wrote:
I have a 2010 Dutchmen Sport 25f. 4400 dry, 7700 max (though i don't expect we're anywhere near that even with water). No plans to upgrade anytime in the future, there's just 2 of us and a dog.

We're looking at getting a 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost and are trying to decide between the regular and max tow package.

What everyone's opinion on which tow package for my trailer? With the regular we'd have a 3.55, 1660 payload, 9700 max tow weight. The max towing package gets you 3.73, 2000 payload, 11,300 max.

Trying to find them with the max tow package is proving difficult...would there be any concerns if we get the regular tow package with my trailer? We of course use a WD Hitch.

Well we went and looked at an Eco with the max tow package, and I think we're going to stick with the regular tow package if we go with the Ecoboost.

My wife will be the daily driver of this truck due to her short(5 mi) one way commute, and I current have a high mpg car for my drive (45 mi) one way.

She really doesn't want to be driving around with those huge tow mirrors everyday, when we'll only be towing 6-7 times a year, and we also have no plans on upgrading our current camper since we just got it last year.

Thanks for all of your input, now we just have to choose between the eco and the tundra, we'll probably end up driving both again.

BradinOhio
Explorer
Explorer
The mirrors on my XLT are manual. Can't say I have had any issues or concerns with the size or lack of a power fold on them.
Brad ('68), Sandy ('71), Amber (shephard), Niko (shiba inu)

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS
'10 Keystone Passport UL 245RB (prior - retired 6/2012)
'07 Rockwood Roo 21SS (prior)

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Question for those that have the Max Tow/Payload with the tow mirrors. I read of many people who say the mirrors stick out too far. Do those mirrors come with electronic fold-in? If I were buying an Eco-Beast, I would want those tow mirrors.

The electric folders come with Lariat and higher grades. My XLT doesn't have them, but it's turned out to be a non-issue for me. Someone said they have a 9' garage door, so it would be for them since they measure about 8' 8" across.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

Marsland
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will be happy either way. But if you are willing to spend the money get the better options. My truck has the 3.73 rear end w/o the max tow (I have the regular tow pkg). Had only one trip with our trlr and that was home from the dealers (210 miles). Pretty much grinned the whole way. Previous truck F150 Screw w/5.4.

The mirrors on my truck have the electric fold option. Don't know it the max tow mirrors do that or not.
1 (Re)tired DH
1 Terrific DW
2012 Keystone Bullet 284RLS
2012 Ford F150 S/Crew ECOBoost
ScanGaugeII

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Question for those that have the Max Tow/Payload with the tow mirrors. I read of many people who say the mirrors stick out too far. Do those mirrors come with electronic fold-in? If I were buying an Eco-Beast, I would want those tow mirrors.
I love me some land yachting

Slick_Rick
Explorer
Explorer
My Lariat, with max tow, has a payload of 1969 lbs. And the tow mirrors are great! IMHO go with max tow, for sure. No regrets here.
2015 F350 Lariat CC PSD 4x4 SRW
2015 Lance 865 Truck Camper

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
"With the regular we'd have a 3.55, 1660 payload, 9700 max tow weight. The max towing package gets you 3.73, 2000 payload, 11,300 max."

Be careful - those are fantasy numbers for a stripped down truck. You need to look at a door sticker to see what the actual payload is - the higher the trim package, the lower the payload.

Agree. My yellow sticker says 1794 lbs.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow