cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

opinions on jayco jay flight 28bhs

5rvers
Explorer
Explorer
Hi my family is new to rving if anyone has or has experience with a 2013 Jayco Jay flight 28bhs let me know what you think. This will be our first RV and almost put money down on it, but still am a little hesitant. thanks
58 REPLIES 58

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new 28BHS.

The 26B's sofa isn't really all that close to the counter. Closer than my previous 19BH but not that bad. I'm a big guy and I fit on the end by the kitchen counter. Besides, the kids will be sitting in the corner anyhow and that's way more than enough for them.

Glad you got the floorplan you like.

So what interior did you get. We got my favorite, the hazelnut which is like the previous Wheat interior I had on my 19BH. It is leaves and dark browns.

As you said, the 28BHS wasn't that much more. Something like $2500 - $3000 more than our 26BH.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

5rvers
Explorer
Explorer
Picked it up yesterday. Looks nice, towed nice, kids love it cant wait to take it out camping maybe next week. Thanks to all posters for your input.

crab80
Explorer
Explorer
Have owned a Jayco 28BHS for nearly 4 years now, never been back to a dealer for any issues, has been rock solid. Great floorplan IMO but I`m biased of course....
2010 Jayco 28BHS
2004 Chevy 1500 Ext.Cab 5.3L, 3.73, Bilsteins, Timbren SES
Reese Dual Cam
Prodigy P3

5rvers
Explorer
Explorer
We also looked at the 26BH but the sofa so close to the kitchen counter was a deal breaker. We had gone to the dealership to buy the 26bh then went for one more good look around the lot and we found the 28bhs for not too much more. Ill post after our first camping trip and let you know how the trailer performed.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
2-yr warranty has little value to me, and to the dealers as they all offer extended (5-7yr) warranties for relatively little $. But I understand some consumers really value that 2-yr warranty as a commitment to quality.

You really have to watch those extended warranties. They don't cover the more expensive parts of the trailer as the appliances and such. I looked at them for several different brand trailers and found they are essentially useless.

Different trailer brands and different warranty brands and all were useless.

I wouldn't let the warranty dictate what trailer but it does come in convenient.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
certified106 wrote:
I love how the OP asks about a Jayco camper and people are turning this into a bash Jayco thread....LOL

For the record I don't have fit and finish issues and I am extremely picky......The reason I bought my Jayco has to do with the fact the fit, finish, and construction was better than many other brands I looked at.

Completely agree, the so called premium brands have flaws as well. The Jayco was the nicest built and the nicest cosmetic wise that I found, and I looked at a lot! To boot, it was also one of the least expensive most likely due to their over whelming popularity and more abundant stock.

Roadrash450
Explorer
Explorer
certified106 wrote:
I love how the OP asks about a Jayco camper and people are turning this into a bash Jayco thread....LOL

For the record I don't have fit and finish issues and I am extremely picky......The reason I bought my Jayco has to do with the fact the fit, finish, and construction was better than many other brands I looked at.

Who was bashing? Giving input on why someone chose another brand over a Jayco is helpful to some, apparently not all. Not like anyone called Jayco a pile of poo

Jayco was in my top 2. It just placed second to the one I chose. The Jayco's I looked at had better fit and finish then any of the KZ units I looked at and they have a 2 year warranty as well. (here comes the KZ owners fuming:R)

Plus I may be pickier than you. To each thier own. As stated there is a compromise that has to be made somewhere. Giving up the 2 yr warranty, was mine, for better fit and finish, again, in my opinion.

I hope the OP does by a Jayco, as being a new RVer, they are purchasing a decently built TT with a good warranty.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
No two RVs are exactly alike. They all have compromises. I offered my opinion on what I observed for a similar floorplan from a competitor.

FWIW, my RV has never been back to a dealer, not for warranty or other work. It
s not perfect, but I would have made the same choice. 2-yr warranty has little value to me, and to the dealers as they all offer extended (5-7yr) warranties for relatively little $. But I understand some consumers really value that 2-yr warranty as a commitment to quality.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

certified106
Explorer
Explorer

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Hypertech Tuner Running Stage 2
2013 Jayco 28BHS

nitrohorse
Explorer
Explorer
Roadrash450 wrote:
APT wrote:
I like my TT better.

That's funny, I chose my Heartland over the Jayco as well.
After comparing side by side (dealer sold both), the 2 yr warranty was nothing to me as compared to fit and finish!

Another note: There are a bunch of manufacturers that now offer 2 year warranties. KZ, Lance, Open Range as well as a few others.

Good point. Who needs a longer warranty when the staples are barely noticeable.

nitrohorse
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I like my TT better. I like the floorplan of mine where the bunks and bath are swapped and add a second outside door directly to the bath. I like the features of my North Trail as well, solid surface counter, electric awning, stabilizer jacks, maple cabinets, slam latch storage doors, and pull out bike rack. I like the extra height of the Jay Flight, that's bout it.

The 36 gallon fresh water tank and only a 13.5K A/C were deal breakers for my wife and I on the North Trail 28BRS

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 26BH for 2 seasons. It was a great trailer, but it was too small for us. I have 3 boys (12,11,9) and now 2 dogs and it was crowded in there. If you have more than 2 kids, I'd look at something a little bigger so they have their own beds and you have some space to move around.
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

Roadrash450
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I like my TT better.

That's funny, I chose my Heartland over the Jayco as well.
After comparing side by side (dealer sold both), the 2 yr warranty was nothing to me as compared to fit and finish!

Another note: There are a bunch of manufacturers that now offer 2 year warranties. KZ, Lance, Open Range as well as a few others.

certified106
Explorer
Explorer
It's funny that I mainly chose the 28BHS over the 26BHS for the same reasons you listed below. I think either floorplan works and the 26BH was at the top of our list when we were looking but we got a heck of a deal on the 28BHS and I liked the things I listed below in red better. Goes to show you that everyone has a different opinion. ๐Ÿ˜„

Mike Up wrote:
I have the 26BH.

We ended up choosing the 26BH for a few reasons.

We often use the sofa as bed and even the dinette. Plus we use both as sitting areas and they are just on top of each other and cramped. The slide is only a 1/2 slide out so you don't gain the extra walk room that you get with a full slide out. This sofa and dinette arrangement is something that I see in more cramped campers as the 19RD and not a favorite of mine. If it was a full slide out, it may had been better but it was to cramped for my liking.

It's funny we felt it made the camper more open in the seating area and specifically liked how you can see out the window while sitting on the couch. We also liked the fact that people sitting at the dinette and couch are grouped together and it makes it easier for groups of people to hang out and converse.

Plus the TV can't be watched by people on both the sofa and the dinette. The TV is on a swivel arm so the TV can face the Sofa but then it can't be seen by people on the dinette.

I wanted the seperate TV viewing area as the kids can sit on the queen in the front and play Playstation and the adults can hang out in the main area palying cards when the weather is crummy.

With the 26BH, the TV can be see face forward by people on the sofa, on the dinette, and in the front queen bed (a big plus!). Plus the sofa is in it's own area and opens up the floorplan, not feeling as cramped and more home like.

The 28BHS, does have a much larger and open Kitchen but is that really needed?? We cook rather large meals great with the 26BH and don't have any need for a bigger kitchen. To me, the Kitchen wasted a lot of space.

Also the front queen bedroom is more closed off as it has a fuller wall than the 26BH. It's all what you like. We like the more openess of the 26BH front bedroom with it's half wall and curtain. PLUS as stated, we can see our TV from the bed. There is another TV mount in the bedroom for each floorplan but no shelf for a Bluray player. We only watch movies late at night after the kids go to sleep and to watch the news for weather.

We also liked how the Queen has it's own more seperate room. We tend to invite others to go camping and I like have my own more personal space at night.

That's why I chose the 26BH. However that's my preference and you may find better likes with the 28BHS.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Hypertech Tuner Running Stage 2
2013 Jayco 28BHS

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad to hear Jayco is still a strong contender as we're looking at getting another one next year. I love everything about the trailers except giving up the small footprint. It's nice to know everyone is happy with theirs and the 2 yr warranty is great!

To the OP....Congrats!!
Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865