cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OUCH

Rvinnewbury
Explorer
Explorer
Well I did it. I was backing into my drive after a weekend camping and I hit the corner of the trailer against the house. Total bonehead move. Now it is time to go and get it fixed. Would this be an insurance claim? Also, where should I look to get it fixed. This really stinks because it is only 4 months old. Lessons definitely learn and fortunately no one or the house were hurt.
21 REPLIES 21

Rvinnewbury
Explorer
Explorer
Well, little update, I will be taking it in next week get the work done. Are there any items I should be on the look out for while getting it repaired. I am concerned about new seams on the side and back for leaks and well just the looks. FYI, it is a Premier with the smooth fiberglass sides.

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I had just brought the trailer home from the dealer for some warranty repairs. Sitting there thinking about it,"I've done this before with the old trailer" and proceeded to back it in. Well...there WAS a bush on the left side of drive and house on the other. Didn't want to get close to the bush and scratch the paint...afterall it was only a month old. Hit the awning and top panels of siding on the gutter. Back to the dealer for customer pay work this time(actually insurance covered it). BTW...the bush was cut out shortly thereafter. I really didn't like it there anyways ๐Ÿ™‚

JBinOR
Explorer
Explorer
We got a Power Mover electric trailer dolly when we got our TT. We have to come in at an angle and then straighten it out right next to the house with only about 3" clearance. It has been worth every penny.
1999 Chevy Express 3500 5.7L
Jayco 26BH

jffkrn
Explorer
Explorer
For us, we have had our little mishaps. Just remember when using a spotter, make sure your communication is clear. I told my daughter once "Let me know when I get to the tree" Guess what, I got to the tree, stopped when I felt it, a little dent in the bumper of trailer, no big deal. Also scraped the house with the awning rail cause I was to lazy or in a hurry to wait for Karen to help me out. What ever, do what you got to do, be aware of your surroundings, get out and discuss with you spotter your plan, and make sure you can see them at all times or get out and tell them you can't see them. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
They'll pay, but your premiums will go up because you are using your insurance.

Not always. But after enough times it will.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
File the claim, that's what insurance is for..If they raise your rates find another company.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
They'll pay, but your premiums will go up because you are using your insurance.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
djcjc wrote:
Happened to me last summer was in a hurry storm was coming hooked on to trailer wemt to back into shed with the wife as a spotter but with the wind blowing I did not hear her yell to stop and hit a pole in the shed with back of trailer. Wrinkled the back put in clain to insurance company they paid and I paid deductible. Had local Jayco dealer do repairs waited until camping season over to have work done (not major damage just tin and caulk). That is what insurance is for you pay and pay sometimes they need to do there part.

And, sometimes they won't do there part when they should. Actually, I would say that is more common then ever getting any money out of a insurance company. I'm glad it worked for you though. You must have a good company.

You need to shop for another insurance company. I have NEVER had trouble getting my insurance company to pay for any of our errors. They just write the check. No mus, no fus. That's what I pay them for. We have an understanding. They pay or I go else where
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
djcjc wrote:
Happened to me last summer was in a hurry storm was coming hooked on to trailer wemt to back into shed with the wife as a spotter but with the wind blowing I did not hear her yell to stop and hit a pole in the shed with back of trailer. Wrinkled the back put in clain to insurance company they paid and I paid deductible. Had local Jayco dealer do repairs waited until camping season over to have work done (not major damage just tin and caulk). That is what insurance is for you pay and pay sometimes they need to do there part.

And, sometimes they won't do there part when they should. Actually, I would say that is more common then ever getting any money out of a insurance company. I'm glad it worked for you though. You must have a good company.

djcjc
Explorer
Explorer

tunkcurt1
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
The camera is a nice idea, but a spotter is free.

Not sure where you get your spotter, but every time I add a "spotter" to my household it costs me a LOT of money! :E
2005 Sportscoach Encore 380DS
330HP CAT Turbo Diesel

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not just for beginners. I just did that last year! backing up into the driveway so I could stay hooked up and leave in the a.m. I know when the front tire goes just over the curb to stop. well I didn`t feel the curb and just bumped the house. I crinkled the siding on the RR of the trailer. I pulled the sidding back and popped out the crinkled siding. it looks OK, but is there as a reminder of what not to do. I may try and find some kind of nice Forest River decal to try and hide it a little better!

Welcome to the club!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
RVJimofOregon wrote:
In 2005 I was going into Canada and turned my MH too quickly and scraped the back third of the rig. No damage to the concrete post but did 6 grand of damage to the MH. My insurance (State Farm) fixed it and told me no problem with the rates as they call it comp just like getting a window replaced and is not counted. And they were right no increase.
Jim

You're just lucky you didn't hit an igloo... they do lots of damage around here! eh!

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
The camera is a nice idea, but a spotter is free. Would rather put that $ toward another few stops at the gas station on the way somewhere great.

Agree that if it's not too pricey, just bite the bullet and pay it rather than turning in a claim. Lots of insurance companies just looking for a reason to raise your rates. A real bummer, but a learning experience.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!