cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Out Door Showers

cheeseburger9_
Explorer
Explorer
Are there out door shower use restrictions? In checking different campgrounds, the only place I found anything mentioned was Rocky Mountain National Park and you can't use an out door shower. Curious what everyone's experience has been.
19 REPLIES 19

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
This issue has always seemed unusual. Many ,many campgrounds state "No grey water on ground." Yet then there is no way to dispose of it other than hauling to a dump station. Tent campers are not equipped for this.

Just what do the owners expect those without waste tanks to do? Drink it?

If they were truly concerned they would provide moderately easy disposal. A Georgia State Park we stayed in had grey water only dumps near the road about every 5 sites. That is reasonable,but that was the only time I have seen it.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We are usually eco-conscious so I cannot see a problem with using bio soap with 3-6 gallons of water. We usually do a quick sponge bath inside if we are dry camping but I have very long hair so need to wash it at least every 5-7 days.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Simplygib
Explorer
Explorer
Prohibited in many developed campgrounds, perfectly legal in many dispersed camping areas, subject to regulations that vary by location. Often the regulations specify how far you need to be from a water source, road, etc.
Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
thetroutman4 wrote:
69 is a logical thinking person. Ran into the showering issue in CO last summer. We were not allowed to shower outside with biodegradeable soap yet the tent campers were pitching their dishwashing water on the ground. Common sense is not common anymore.

lets see, a quart or so of dish water vs a gallon or three for a shower?
bumpy

Yes, you are correct. Three gallons of fresh water with a little soap in it or a quart or so of dish water with grease, food deposits, and dish soap. Quantity has nothing to do with the issue or there would be complaints about the rain. It is what is in the water. Shower water doesn't hurt anything. Dish water has things in it that make your gray water tank stink like the black water tank. Plain shower water won't do that.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
thetroutman4 wrote:
69 is a logical thinking person. Ran into the showering issue in CO last summer. We were not allowed to shower outside with biodegradeable soap yet the tent campers were pitching their dishwashing water on the ground. Common sense is not common anymore.

lets see, a quart or so of dish water vs a gallon or three for a shower?
bumpy

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
their are bio soap and shampoo on the market this is what we us at our cabin and also in the camper
gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

thetroutman4
Explorer
Explorer

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I understand not wanting gray water dumped outside. Yes, in your RV plumbing system the shower is connected to the gray water tank. Since the only thing that is dumped is water, soap or shampoo and whatever dirt was on you it isn't like regular gray water from dishes that include grease, and food particles etc.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
COE parks here in Ar. will let you dump gray water if you run it away from the campsite by hose. The only problem I have ran into showering outside was when a ranger came by and said they had rules about a 300 fatman showering outside and he made me put my clothes on and go inside!
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

MKish
Explorer
Explorer
We catch grey water in a masonry mixing pan and dump where appropriate. I suspect parks that don't allow outdoor showers might make an exception if you're disposing of water properly.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
cheeseburger9# wrote:
Are there out door shower use restrictions?

Winter?
That's the first restriction that comes to mind...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
every one worries about grey water but I'll bet your next SS that 99% of the ones used out side let or dump the grey water on the ground when done.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use a blow up kiddie pool

More2Explore
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an option for a Shower enclosure with floor for water collection.
2014 Wolf Creek 850 SB
2013 F-350 SCB SB 4X4 6.2 L